Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Caroline: Average Message Rating

[ Edited ]
Thank you, Caroline, for expressing this so eloquently: you speak for many. Meanwhile, take a look at the Average Message Ratings of some contributors you respect, and you'll see they're not five stars either: we're all in the same boat!

caroline88 wrote:
My logical brain knows that I should not care about some rating or other.

My emotional brain does not do logic, it just feels. And it feels that any rating lower than 5 means that someone else also thought I was not good enough. And that HURTS. And I hope that they can find a way to make it so I do not have to see that Not Good Enough rating on the home page anymore.

Message Edited by pmath on 03-01-200711:29 AM

Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Re: For Caroline: Average Message Rating

Thank you Bentley, Bill and Philomath for your respect and your love. You make me feel very special. Bentley, you made a good point about how x stars means something different for every individual.

Off-topic but I think these posts gave a pretty good idea that we should not underestimate the power of our words. That said, I will shut up now Bill, so we can all go back to topic :smileywink:

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Please, please, do not be hurt Caroline. I have just noticed, for instance, that Ziki, one of the regular readers who posts really interesting and erudite contributions, has only been rated with one star in the Hemingway discussions. I find this extraordinary, especially when I did a User Search and found that her percentage rating is 100 per cent!! This, to me, shows that it is the system itself that is 'up the creek' and that none of us should be hurt by it, although we have a right to be annoyed just because it is frequently upsetting people, particularly newcomers.

I have switched my message rating thingy off but I still seem to see them and am frequently puzzled as to why a person has one-star one minute and five stars the next. Are the ratings geared to particular threads or to the boards overall I wonder? And what is the difference between the star rating and the percentage rating?

Every contribution is valuable here Caroline, it is all 'grist to the mill' as we Brits say. I prefer to post directly to the person if I particularly like a contribution and not to say anything at all otherwise. In my mind I give everyone six stars to start with and then I read their posts to see how they measure up to my mind's eye:smileyhappy:. Most people rate at least five stars because I so enjoy the cut and thrust of the conversations and the different views put forward.

I look forward very much to seeing your views Caroline and send you a Hug from Over the Pond.

pmath wrote:
Thank you, Caroline, for expressing this so eloquently: you speak for many. Meanwhile, take a look at the Average Message Ratings of some contributers you respect, and you'll see they're not five stars either: we're all in the same boat!

caroline88 wrote:
My logical brain knows that I should not care about some rating or other.

My emotional brain does not do logic, it just feels. And it feels that any rating lower than 5 means that someone else also thought I was not good enough. And that HURTS. And I hope that they can find a way to make it so I do not have to see that Not Good Enough rating on the home page anymore.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Everyone,

It's pretty clear from the messages above what our position is -- collectively as administrators and moderators, we try to do our best to help keep the conversation flowing smoothly in these book clubs. That said, we try not to operate with a heavy hand, so opinions may of course vary as to whether a thread has "gone off topic" or remains within bounds.

It looks at this point as if the conversation about how and why we define these things has become too acrimonious to be productive. From our point of view, no member of this community should be blamed for the ups and downs (or occasional wanderings) of a communal discussion. And with that we have removed a number of posts (and any replies to them) from this thread. I'm leaving this thread open for now, but if this continues it will be locked.

Let's agree that this issue, while always requiring some thought and attention, needn't be the occasion for more dissection here.

-BillP

Message Edited by BillP on 03-01-2007 12:54 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

CAroline

[ Edited ]
Caroline, things do not disapear when you choose not to see them. That is the whole point that Everyman brought up previously and that has not been addressed.
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 03-02-200705:59 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

ratings

BillP wrote:And as for ratings, we do feel that they will prove to be helpful, especially as our community gets bigger. But like many features, they can be abused, so please be considerate when using them.

Bill, those who even consider abusing the system will hardly listen to your plea.
You said as the forum gets bigger ratings get more useful; could you please expound on that? I for one am missing the logic in it. What I see so far as the board got bigger the more problems with that occured.

And as I said there is no criteria. You took buss to the botanic gardens gets five stars while an excelent and thoughtful exposé gets one. In what way exactly do you mean the rating will help participants if it is left in this current state? I am curious.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Re: ratings

We'll have some news on message ratings soon. That's all I can say at the moment, so please sit tight. When we can share we will.

Thanks,

Bill
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: ratings

Thanks.
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote: I have just noticed, for instance, that Ziki, one of the regular readers who posts really interesting and erudite contributions, has only been rated with one star in the Hemingway discussions. I find this extraordinary, especially when I did a User Search and found that her percentage rating is 100 per cent!!

Not sure if that is so, I didn't look but the system in my case was whacked by a malicious user and althought the BN folks did the best to restore it in this case and did a good job, their mission was not entirely successful. I am not here to be best, I am here to share with others and if that is not the main purpose I loose interest, that's all.

ziki
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Message Rating

Kevin -- have the administrators thought any more about abandoning or modifying the ratings system, as has been suggested here by a number of posters?

Are you still satisfied that low ratings given to posts help "ensure a positive and constructive atmosphere for all participants in the Book Clubs," or "help the editors/administrators reduce and defuse conflicts and distractions"? (Both quotations are from points that administrators have recently made.)

BTW, I notice that posts made by the the moderators and administrators are not subject to being rated. Perhaps it's BN's feeling that all those posts are of course so uniformly excellent so it is unnecessary to rate them. But if the rating system is intended to be helpful to participants in identifying posts that have been particularly informative or helpful, or those which have been less so, it would seem that rating these posts as well as those of regular posters could be of benefit to the community. Perhaps there is some reason I'm overlooking why these posts should appropriately be exempt from being rated?
0 Kudos

Everyman, Ziki, et al,

We'll have some news about ratings next week.

Until then, have a great weekend everybody.

-BillP
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

As you may have noticed, message ratings have been turned off... temporarily. For more on this and the changes to the homepage that happened this weekend, check out the latest blog post.

-BillP