New User
terriquez
0 Kudos

Frustated with my Nook experience

I guess I just want to get out my frustration, I wanted a Nook soo much, and my husband got it for my for our 20th. wedding anniversary, he got the black and white Nook first, I live in Mexico across the border, and I downloaded a sample of a book and got hooked to it, and purchase it (BIG MISTAKE) I didnt knew I couldnt buy anything while in Mexico, that action blocked my B&N account, I bought two books and on the third book is when I got the e-mail saying that I couldnt purchase anything in Mexico. I cross the border (not an easy thing to do where I live) and visit a B&N, they couldnt unblock my account I had to return on the next day, while in there I falled in love with the Nook Color and my husband told me to upgrade it, and I did on the next day that I had to come to get my account unblocked, so I was there on the next day in the morning so we can get someone from 1800 The Book to help us, and they did, I changed my black and white Nook for a color, purchase my books again and when happily to my home IN MEXICO, when I got home and try to charge my Nook Color the charger didnt wanted to get in, it wasnt working, so I HAD TO GO BACK AGAIN, and a representative of B&N was having problems trying to make my charger work, we tried on the dummie that was there and the charger worked, so I thought it was my Nook, but another girl came and said that you have to push it really hard to get it in, almost forcing it, so she did and it worked there, but it didnt look right to me to force anything but I beleive her, came back to my home IN MEXICOOOOO, and when I try to charge it for the first time I turned the Nook on, and it was starting when all of the sudden the light on the charger went green (it was the first time that Nook was going to be charged since its purchase) and the screen went black.... what happen??? I called them and asked me to do the obvious things like I was stupid, but I guess some people are really new in electronics and they need to follow all the steps, but the screen is still black nothing works, the remaining of the battery I guess will die, because the screen is black but you can see its on in some strange way. Now I will have to go back again, it is simple for them to tell me that if they cant make it work they will change it, but it is very annoying for me because of all my time wasted, and what about the anti glare that I just placed in it, it costed my 16 dollars, are they going to replace that too???? I just sooo mad and frustated that I am thinking of getting my money back from the nook and all the 5 books that up to today I have purchase for that Nook, and the protective case and everything I dont think is fare. I was so happy at the beginning and now I am just so frustated. Please anyone can tell me if its worth my time and patience. Or Nooks are failing a lot?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Re: Frustated with my Nook experience

[ Edited ]

NOOKs aren't sold outside of the US. B&N doesn't sell NOOKbooks outside of the US (except to US military personnel with a .mil email address, and a few titles are available in Canada). The NOOK warranty is not valid outside of the US. The B&N toll-free support number isn't usable outside of the US. B&N accounts are technically only available to US residents, although that doesn't stop anyone.

I don't recommend NOOK to anyone who lives, or spends any significant amount of time, outside of the US. It's not an international device.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

@ terriquez,

I'm sorry you're having a frustrating experience.

The only thing "not fair" about the whole situation is the fact that you are blaming B&N.  If you had done even a little bit of research, you would have found out that the nook and NOOKColor are sold as US products only and although they can be used with books purchased in the correct format from other sources, they both clearly state that they are "designed for use in the United States, Canada, and the United States territories."

My suggestion would be to return the NOOKColor and research other readers which can be used outside of the US.

New User
DarkSoul
0 Kudos

Hi,

I live in Mexico Too, however my experience is quite different, first at all, my Nook color works perfectly, I charged and turned it on with out issues.

Regarding the books, well, agree.. you cannot buy a book at BN when you stay in Mexico.. the good thing is that I can manually load my hundres of ePub books and enjoy them, also my office docs and PDF documents..

Also consider buying books in ePub format in other sites and just load manually to your Nook Color.

At this point I am very happy with my nook, and also I expect  that in the future BN extends its territory to Mexico also.

I hope this help you.

Regards,

New User
jaygora
0 Kudos

hi,

Could you please let me know the other sites where you can buy epub books???

I live in Mexico and have a NOOK color too! I think B&N is probably loosing a lot of money by no selling books if you live in other countries!

DarkSoul wrote:

Hi,

I live in Mexico Too, however my experience is quite different, first at all, my Nook color works perfectly, I charged and turned it on with out issues.

Regarding the books, well, agree.. you cannot buy a book at BN when you stay in Mexico.. the good thing is that I can manually load my hundres of ePub books and enjoy them, also my office docs and PDF documents..

Also consider buying books in ePub format in other sites and just load manually to your Nook Color.

At this point I am very happy with my nook, and also I expect  that in the future BN extends its territory to Mexico also.

I hope this help you.

Regards,

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
jelabarre59
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I don't recommend NOOK to anyone who lives, or spends any significant amount of time, outside of the US. It's not an international device.

Heck, at this point I don't recommend the Nook to anyone *inside* the US either...

New User
ERocha
0 Kudos

Here some web sites selling epub books in Mexico:

www.gandhi.com.mx (click on librose)

www.muchoslibros.com (click on ebooks)

www.elsotano.com.mx

www.libranda.com (you will need search a little inside, but is huge)

There are many more, just need to search and try.

By the way, I´m also realy glad with my nook

Regards

Contributor
The_Nookster
0 Kudos

@ Terriqez

I would have loved to have read your post but.. :smileyfrustrated:

Remember, "paragraphs are your friend!"  :smileyhappy:

The_Nookster

New User
Ricalsol
0 Kudos

Is not worth. I also live in Mexico and my tablet is brand new...and the  wifi not working anymore, is frozen. Also, I just realized that I can't download any apps if I don't have a billing address in the US, con't buy anything! Nice from BN

I AM VERY DISAPOINTED, IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE US DON'T BUY IT

New User
Ricalsol
0 Kudos

What is a ePUB format? where to access?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Ricalsol wrote:

Is not worth. I also live in Mexico and my tablet is brand new...and the  wifi not working anymore, is frozen. Also, I just realized that I can't download any apps if I don't have a billing address in the US, con't buy anything! Nice from BN

I AM VERY DISAPOINTED, IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE US DON'T BUY IT

Are you running the latest firmware?  Most of the wifi problems were solved with the last firmware update. 
Can you not connect to any wifi, or just some?  There are several threads on the topic if you choose to look for them.

Also, if you looked at the FAQ's at all, you would have noticed that it states quite prominently that you need to have a credit card on file with a US billing address.

2. Do I need to give B&N my credit card to use NOOK? What if I'm only reading free eBooks and samples?

Yes. You must have a completed and updated BN.com account to purchase or download paid and free content, include an email address, default credit card number, valid expiration date for the credit card, and a current U.S. billing address. Security measures are put in place to protect all of our customers' account information.
Epub are a format that the ebooks come in.  Nooks allow the use of ebooks with the B&N social DRM and the standard ADE DRM for the epub format.  They will also read pdf files.  They will not read Apple's iBook epub DRM nor will they read the Kindle mobi format.
B&N doesn't do business outside of the US, so complaining about not having any support when outside of the US is kinda childish.  They don't have licenses to international media content.  However, if you find stores that do business outside of the US, you can sideload the content and read it as long as it is in the standard epub or pdf formats.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716