Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

Getting Started with My B&N

[ Edited ]

My B&N is your own personal space at Barnes & Noble.com -- a place where you can show the world what you're reading, list your favorite books, movies, and music, and showcase your customer reviews. You can also track your local store events and create public or private Wish Lists that are easier thanever to share.

My B&N is built around your profile page, which is accessible from the "My B&N" button in our top navigation, and from the My B&N area on your Account page. You can find other people's My B&N pages by clicking on their pen names or avatars anywhere on the site. 

Profile page

The first thing you'll want to do at My B&N is choose a pen name and avatar to represent you. Avatars can be changed at any time, but pen names are permanent, so choose carefully. While you're at the top of the page, take note of your privacy setting, which determines whether other people can see your profile. By default, your profile is private, but we think "public" is better.

If you're ever in doubt about what other people can see, just click the link that says "View My Profile as Others See It."

Elsewhere on the profile page, you can describe yourself in the "About Me" section, complete your personal Library, identify your favorite products, artists, and genres, and identify other B&N profiles you like. You'll also see links to all of your customer reviews, your EssentiaLists, and your favorite features from B&N Studio and the B&N Review.

My Library

The most prominent feature of your page is probably your Library, so let's take a closer look:

Library

The Library is intended to represent "your life in books, music, and movies." It can be music you own, books you've read, or movies that have influenced you -- basically anything you want. You can also add a "Reading Now" banner to books you're, well, reading now.

Periodically, you'll be asked whether you want to add your recent purchases to your Library. Doing so is entirely optional, and your Account history is always private.   

Note that you can see all of the items in your Library by clicking the See All button -- and that you can adjust the display by using the controls on the top and the side of the Library page.

EssentiaLists

My B&N gives you the opportunity to create multiple EssentiaLists that are linked from your profile and distributed across the site. EssentiaLists can be anything you want, and can have names and descriptions of your choosing. You can update your lists at any time, and you can create a new one -- or add a product to an old one -- by clicking the "Add to List" menu next to just about any product on our site.

Note that you can choose to associate EssentiaLists with your pen name, or to make them anonymous. If they're anonymous, they'll show up on your view of your profile but won't appear on the public view.

Wish Lists

We've also expanded our Wish Lists, allowing you to create custom lists that can be shared with others.

As you create Wish Lists, you should note that by default, all Wish Lists are private: You can find them on your My B&N page and your Account page, but other people won't see them.

Because a lot of people actually want to share their Wish Lists, we've made it easy to do so. Simply change the privacy setting on the individual list you want to share and then click email or share at the top of the page. Please note that unlike other lists and content, "shared" Wish Lists will display the first and last names on your account -- not your pen name.

Customer Reviews and Ratings

Elsewhere on the site, you'll notice that we've made some changes to Customer Reviews. First,you'll notice that the simple one-to-five-star rating has been enhanced with a deeper rating system that allows you to better define the value of a product. 

Write A Review

Like EssentiaLists, you can associate your reviews with your pen name and group them under your profile. This means that people who like your reviews will be able to find the other reviews you've written -- and you'll be able to do the same for people who have influenced you.

Note that you can still write reviews anonymously, but we think the most valuable reviews will be associated with a profile.

Sharing Your Content

With My B&N, we've made it easier to share your content with your friends and associates. Just click on the email or share links near any of your content -- or content that someone else created -- to send it to someone else or post alink to it from another website. The same thing works on your My B&N profile, so it'll be easy to tell other people how to find you here.

Discovering Lists and Recommendations

Likewise, we've made it easier to find recommendations from other readers. 

Check out the expandable menu bar on the right-hand side of any product page to find people who are "fans" of a particular book or item, and EssentiaLists that include the book or item. 

Product Page

We think these additions are a great way to discover new books, music, and DVDs -- and to find readers with similar tastes.  

Evaluating Reviews and Lists

If you come across a review or list that helped you make a decision or that informed or entertained you in some way, take a moment to answer the "Was This Helpful?" option near the top of the item. This will help us to sort the reviews and lists based on the evaluation of readers, and will make it easier for everyone to find the most influential content -- and contributors.

Likewise, if you find content on the site that is inappropriate, hit the Flag button near that content, and it'll be reviewed by one of our moderators.

A Note About Privacy

As we stated previously, you get to decide whether your profile is public or private, and whether your lists and reviews are associated with your pen name or anonymous.

We think public is better, but leave the choice to you. Just remember that B&N.com is a widely visible and indexed site -- please don't post any information you don't want others to see.

Thanks for taking some time to learn about the new features. We're looking forward to seeing you at My B&N.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 10-16-2008 08:48 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty

Re: Getting Started with My B&N

Thanks for your post Jon. Having the details laid out, especially with photos, should make things much easier. It will be nice to have that to refer back to. Thank you!
New User
sande
0 Kudos

Hi,

I love to read and write. My friends suggested I join a book club. How does a book club work and is this the trational, let meet and discuss the book type club? I'm lost and new at this. I would greatly appreciate some insight.

Thanks

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Hi sande,

The BNBC is all done online - just click on the name of a club (like Epics, Book Explorers, Romantic Reads, etc.) and look through the threads to see if anything interests you.  Some groups read one book per month, some feature multiple titles, some read one book over several months, and some groups provide free-wheeling discussion without a monthly read.

If you are looking for a face-to-face group, too, check out your local bookstore to see what's offered.

(BTW - I moderate the Literature by Women group; welcome to BNBC! :smileyhappy: )

sande wrote:

Hi,

I love to read and write. My friends suggested I join a book club. How does a book club work and is this the trational, let meet and discuss the book type club? I'm lost and new at this. I would greatly appreciate some insight.

Thanks

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
alyjojo4
0 Kudos

thanks buddy
hi i love books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New User
mysteriouslady

Hi there!  I am a little confused on something.  I am brand new to B&N and would like to know if there is a place to go to see all the profiles here -- or at least pen names to check out other profiles.  I'd really like to meet other people with my interests.  Any help you can provide would be great.  I have figured out a lot of things on my profile but am in the process of "tweaking" to make it even better.  Thanks so much!
A book is a special friend!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

mysteriouslady wrote:
Hi there!  I am a little confused on something.  I am brand new to B&N and would like to know if there is a place to go to see all the profiles here -- or at least pen names to check out other profiles.  I'd really like to meet other people with my interests.  Any help you can provide would be great.  I have figured out a lot of things on my profile but am in the process of "tweaking" to make it even better.  Thanks so much!

mysteriouslady,

These book/subject discussion boards generally, if not always, revolve, and evolve, around a discussion of that genre of your choice.  If you want to meet people with the same interest as your own, your best bet would be to find these genres of your choice, and join in those discussions.

Some boards are geared only towards a discussion of a book, with a community room for personal discussion; some have participating authors that add to that book discussion; some are formatted to generate information around that particular board, such as the garden club, food, drink, current events, etc., but all show off a book to look into, or buy to read to further that discussion.  These are book clubs, and that is the purpose of all of these boards, to discuss and exchange ideas and thoughts along these lines.

I don't know of any way you can find someone's profile, except by clicking on their names, individually. 

My suggestion would be:  If you find a topic board, or boards that you like, you will meet these people through these discussions.  There are so many nice people on these boards, I'm sure you'll come across people with your common interest.  It sometimes takes time, but only through discussion, the exchange of information and interests, will you learn who these people are.

Have fun!

Kathy S.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

One good way to find other profiles of people with similar taste is to look at the product pages of books you like.  Not only will some people have reviewed them (and you can sometimes click on the profile of a reviewer, if they didn't do it anonymously) but you can expand the menus on the left hand side of the page to see who has put that book on their "favorites" list - by clicking on Other Fans of This Book - or who has put it or similar titles on an EssentiaList - by clicking on Related EssentiaLists.  

But as Kathy says, the best way to meet other people on the site is to get into some discussions here at the Book Clubs.  So take a look around and join in! :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Jon_B on 02-17-2009 06:30 AM

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Jon.. I need to change my email for one day,maintenance.yahoo..is that ok to do? And then change back on sat?...Thank you,NY must be really pretty tonight..   V
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Sure, you can change your email address any time you like!  People do it all the time.  Just click on the "Account" link up at the very top.

Contributor
scarpettajunkie
0 Kudos

Please explain about the laurels or give a link where I can read about them.  We only get 5?  I already gave out one.  That does not seem right that we are limited.  What if there are a lot of good posts one day that you want to laurel?
Scarpettajunkie lover of Cornwell and historical fiction
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

scarpettajunkie wrote:
Please explain about the laurels or give a link where I can read about them.  We only get 5?  I already gave out one.  That does not seem right that we are limited.  What if there are a lot of good posts one day that you want to laurel?
Hi scarpettajunkie,
There's no limit at all!  You can only give one to each post (to start, but as you advance in rank you'll be able to give 2 or 3), but you can laurel as many different posts as you want.  I'm not sure where you read that you only get 5 but that is not true.  Please feel free to laurel every good post that you see!
Jon

Reader 4
dmarkwarth

Hi, I just setup my B&N page and started adding to my library. I've made my profile "public" as well. The problem I am having relates to viewing other profiles in that page. Shouldn't I be able to view other profiles? There is no add/edit button around that section.

Frequent Contributor
booklovergirl12
0 Kudos

I'm not so new with B&N but something I've wondered for a while: How do you start a thread? It seems like everyone knows how but me. Thanks for the help.:smileyhappy:
~BoOkLoVeRgIrL12
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

On the home page of the board (which lists the threads), in the upper left corner there is a "New Message" option. Click on that, insert your subject and message, and submit. You've just started a new thread.

booklovergirl12 wrote:
I'm not so new with B&N but something I've wondered for a while: How do you start a thread? It seems like everyone knows how but me. Thanks for the help.:smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

I like this detailed stuff, but what i want to know is how to start a book club. I don't know how and this confuses me. Please help.

May God help the Sea Shepherds!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Jon -- I worked on updating "My B&N" today and wanted to add some additional favorite profiles.  I did go into edit mode, but I couldn't figure out how to make additions. 

So, HELP, please, please!

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Hi Peppermill,

Right now the way to add someone else's profile to your favorites is to go to their profile page and add it from there.

Jon

Contributor
DeniseR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

oops

Message Edited by DeniseR on 08-10-2009 02:21 PM
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Denise,

If you look up towards the top of this board, just above the graphics that say Help, you should see a link for Preferences.  Click on that, and once you are in the Preferences area, click on the Subsciptions and Bookmarks tab.  This is where you can set the various options for your subscribed threads and messages.  Towards the bottom of this area, you'll see a dropdown menu where you can choose from subscribed threads, subscribed messages, and so on and get a list of those that you have subscribed to.  In order to remove a subscription, check the box next to the one you want to remove, then go down to the bottom of the screen and click "Delete Checked".  This will removed any subscriptions you have checked.

Jon

Message Edited by Jon_B on 08-10-2009 11:22 AM