Frequent Contributor

Handling SPOILERS

[ Edited ]
Hi,

yesterday I read the discussion about the spoilers here and today I came up with a possible solution that I presented on Moby Dick board where I put it into test. I wanted to tell you about it here, too, in case you'd like to try it or improve it.

Spoilers are indeed difficult to handle especially after you finish the book. It can be tricky and cumbersome to sift the info back into the chapters. However, it is equally annoying to be told in advance what happens. No one appreciates that.

Inadequate spoilers are also tricky. I definitely have some trouble with posts marked only "spoiler". It can be that I already read beyond that particular point and the spoiler therefore doesn't apply to me at all. OTH The spoiler doesn't have any value if I need to open the post and check anyhow.

There can be other complications, too. Recent example follows: Being extra cautious with a new mystery book, I didn't enter into a thread marked Earl Grey Room, thinking it pertained to the book (victorian theme). Hmmm.....Shows that was a new creative name for community room and meanwhile I also happened to start another thread called nothing but a "community room". Ack.

I came up with this solution today: when I post (and the plot development is mentioned somehow) I will indicate in the heading of the post up to which chapter I read so far i.e. Captain Ahab (spoiler:ch 57). In that case each participant can take a decision if they want to read that post or not. If I formulate the included information carefully it doesn't need to spoil much anyhow but the other participants can decide for themselves if it is worth the risk. That applies only in posts when plot is mentioned.

If the discusson is structured then the chapter intervals are already given and some extra spoiler is not required. Therefore this should only apply to all "free floating posts".

If I already read the whole book I can write (spoiler:whb), if I read thrirtheen chapters I write (spoiler:ch13). If I refer to another book then it can also be used.
i.e. I post on Midsummernight Dream discussion mentioning another play, then I can mark my post (spoiler:macbeth).

I couldn't use the signs 'up to' because the system reads it as html code so the colon has to do.

Does that sound fair?

If so I'd appreciate the same treatment from others & from now on, in case the plot development is directly mentioned. I think this approach could prove fairly easy to use for everyone and if people in general like it, BN could turn it into a 'routine suggestion' and everybody's left happy.

Comments are welcomed here.

thanks
ziki :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 01-08-200701:28 AM

Message Edited by BillP on 01-09-2007 03:02 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya

Re: Handling SPOILERS-suggestion

Thanks ziki very useful. Yes, I think on these boards we not only need to put SPOILER in the Subject heading but at the beginning (and sometimes in the middle) of the relevant post too. Sometimes only part of your post is a Spoiler so folks can read some of it if you then mark the relevant Spoiler parts. Does this make sense?? :smileysurprised:

ziki wrote:
Hi,

yesterday I read the discussion about the spoilers here and today I came up with a possible solution that I presented on Moby Dick board where I put it into test. I wanted to tell you about it here, too, in case you'd like to try it or improve it.

Spoilers are indeed difficult to handle especially after you finish the book. It can be tricky and cumbersome to sift the info back into the chapters. However, it is equally annoying to be told in advance what happens. No one appreciates that.

Inadequate spoilers are also tricky. I definitely have some trouble with posts marked only "spoiler". It can be that I already read beyond that particular point and the spoiler therefore doesn't apply to me at all. OTH The spoiler doesn't have any value if I need to open the post and check anyhow.

There can be other complications, too. Recent example follows: Being extra cautious with a new mystery book, I didn't enter into a thread marked Earl Grey Room, thinking it pertained to the book (victorian theme). Hmmm.....Shows that was a new creative name for community room and meanwhile I also happened to start another thread called nothing but a "community room". Ack.

I came up with this solution today: when I post (and the plot development is mentioned somehow) I will indicate in the heading of the post up to which chapter I read so far i.e. Captain Ahab (spoiler:ch 57). In that case each participant can take a decision if they want to read that post or not. If I formulate the included information carefully it doesn't need to spoil much anyhow but the other participants can decide for themselves if it is worth the risk. That applies only in posts when plot is mentioned.

If the discusson is structured then the chapter intervals are already given and some extra spoiler is not required. Therefore this should only apply to all "free floating posts".

If I already read the whole book I can write (spoiler:whb), if I read thrirtheen chapters I write (spoiler:ch13). If I refer to another book then it can also be used.
i.e. I post on Midsummernight Dream discussion mentioning another play, then I can mark my post (spoiler:macbeth).

I couldn't use the signs 'up to' because the system reads it as html code so the colon has to do.

Does that sound fair?

If so I'd appreciate the same treatment from others & from now on, in case the plot development is directly mentioned. I think this approach could prove fairly easy to use for everyone and if people in general like it, BN could turn it into a 'routine suggestion' and everybody's left happy.

Comments are welcomed here.

thanks
ziki :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 01-08-200701:28 AM

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Re: Handling SPOILERS

[ Edited ]
Hey Ziki,

We've got some ideas of our own on how we may be able to help with spoilers (hopefully they can be implemented, tech-wise; don't want to say much otherwise at this point) but these are helpful in the meantime.

Thanks,

BillP

PS, Ziki I edited your original post... just the title of the thread.

Message Edited by BillP on 01-09-2007 03:03 PM