Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Have Questions?

In the former setup, I had a signature set up with little red hearts following my name. It never transferred over to this account and when I've tried to duplicate, it doesn't work. I would use the following code

;hearts&hearts

I'm showing it now with extra spaces so you can see what I mean

open arrow - font color = FF0000 close arrow - & hearts - &hearts - open arrow - / font - close arrow

Will I be able to use the hearts anymore? Are there any commands that are accepted by this new format that will show them?
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

In the former setup, I had a signature set up with little red hearts following my name. It never transferred over to this account and when I've tried to duplicate, it doesn't work. I would use the following code

&hearts&hearts

open arrow - font color = FF0000 close arrow - & hearts : - & hearts ; - open arrow - / font - close arrow

Will I be able to use the hearts anymore? Are there any commands that are accepted by this new format that will show them?
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

I have two questions:

How does one change one's user name? My log in name is different than my book group name was and I want to change it.

I would like to suggest, as a book discussion group, The War of the World by Niall Ferguson. It's non-fiction, just out. I emailed Dr. Ferguson at Harvard about possibly moderating a group and he's checking with his agent (I think that's who he mentioned).
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

I checked Dr. Ferguson's email - he said he'd check with his publisher.
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

Wading Through Messages

I can't mark all messages read so I've solved the problem by qickly clicking on all the messages to get them "marked" as read! A bit time consuming but volume is still very low on the board.

Now is there a way to collapse the list? Agian volume is pretty low so it isn't an overwhelming problem. But whenever I get on I have to start from the bginning paging through to find new messages. I must be missing something.
Contributor
Tammy69
0 Kudos

Barbara, I tried to change to "Automatically jump to the first unread message" but I can't find that category. Could you please tell me specifically where it is on the page? Thanks:smileyhappy:

Tammy
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming schedule

humbrd33, and others who have requested more information about upcoming Book Clubs ... Stay tuned! We're going to have a Coming Soon page up by the end of the week. Once we get that page established, you'll have more information about future Book Clubs. And we'll be returning to our regular email update as well.

Thanks for being here. I hope you're finding your way around OK.
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: Collapsing Threads - Moving through a Thread

LizzieAnn wrote:
While viewing the posts in the threaded format, is it possible to collapse the messages within that thread?

Also, when working within a thread, is there any other way to advance to the following pages within the thread without going through "Next Message"?

LizzieAnn,

You can't "collapse" the threaded view right now, and we know that is one of the features that people liked in the previous boards. We've recorded that as something for the developers to work on.

As for moving through the posts, the "next message" "next thread" buttons do work. Also, when you're looking at an especially long thread in the threaded view, you should notice that the message you're looking at shifts to the middle of the tree in the lower window. It takes a little getting used to, but it's there.

Meantime, we know the abilty to collapse and open a thread would be a nice improvement.
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: general fiction discussion

Anita wrote:
Shouldn't there be a General Discussion section in the fiction area? It looks like all the discussion topics are directed. I'd love sharing book recommendations with other fiction lovers.

Thanks,

Anita

Good idea, Anita. We'll be opening more areas soon, and will keep this in mind.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

humbrd33 wrote:
Sometimes my life get in the way of my reading

All that says is that your life priorities are wrong. [vbg]
0 Kudos

Re: dancing hearts and other images

[ Edited ]

LizzieAnn wrote:

;hearts&hearts

open arrow - font color = FF0000 close arrow - & hearts - &hearts - open arrow - / font - close arrow

You're right, LizzieAnn. We've got a few more controls on images here. We'll be examining those controls over time, so we'll clock this as one of the things to look into.

Hope you're enjoying the clubs.

Message Edited by Kevin on 11-07-2006 11:45 PM

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: Marking messages and threads as read

leakybucket wrote:
I can't mark all messages read so I've solved the problem by qickly clicking on all the messages to get them "marked" as read! A bit time consuming but volume is still very low on the board.

Now is there a way to collapse the list? Agian volume is pretty low so it isn't an overwhelming problem. But whenever I get on I have to start from the bginning paging through to find new messages. I must be missing something.

You should be able to make entire threads -- even entire boards -- as read or unread. Take a look at the Board Options menu (on the Board page) or the Message Options menu (on a message or tread page), and you should see an option to mark certain areas as read or unread.

Hope that helps.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Wading Through Messages

If you mark "Subsribe to this thread" for each thread you are interested in, the Dashboard will list all your threads and tell you which ones have new posts.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

Kevin wrote:

leakybucket wrote:

You should be able to make entire threads -- even entire boards -- as read or unread. Take a look at the Board Options menu (on the Board page) or the Message Options menu (on a message or tread page), and you should see an option to mark certain areas as read or unread.

Hope that helps.

I have done that--many times using different browser (Explorer and Firefox). I've even signed up under a different name and tried it. This is the message I get after a request for onfirmation:

"The link you clicked is requesting an operation that requires authentication, but the authentication failed. Please sign in and try again."

I am signed in. In fact I can't sign out because I get the same message. Right now I sign out by closing my browser. Most everything under "Board" or Message Options" gets me the same message. No matter how many times I try it, I get the same message. I get the message on anything requiring confirmation. Obvious no one else is so there has to be something wrong with what I'm doing. Maybe I don't have something set right in my profile. It really is a simple operation. It just doesn't work for me.
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

leakybucket wrote:

"The link you clicked is requesting an operation that requires authentication, but the authentication failed. Please sign in and try again."

I am signed in. In fact I can't sign out because I get the same message. Right now I sign out by closing my browser. Most everything under "Board" or Message Options" gets me the same message. No matter how many times I try it, I get the same message. I get the message on anything requiring confirmation. Obvious no one else is so there has to be something wrong with what I'm doing. Maybe I don't have something set right in my profile. It really is a simple operation. It just doesn't work for me.

Thanks for the details. Can you tell me what version browsers you're using? That will help us as we ask the developers to figure out why you're getting this error.
Frequent Contributor
ScubaDude33
0 Kudos

For what it's worth, I'm using IE 6 and I just had the very same problem with authentication trying to click on links in the bars up at the top. A very weird quirk.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

This is leakybucket. I totally signed on (again) as New User for the second time but made sure I signed on under Explorer. The only thing I changed was my icon and to set messages as threaded. Tried pushing all the options again under "Message Options" and got the same authentification message again. But then I noticed that the whole board is now marked read. I tried setting a board back as unread. No luck and there is still the authentication problem. Anything requiring authentification under "Message Options" fails. But everything is marked as read--whether I want it or not. Don't know how that happened--unless it is the default now.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Usually BNU would go on vacation in December. Is this going to continue or will the new book clubs continue into and through December?
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Also, just thought of this... but how long do the book clubs last? Before you had 4 weeks to finish a book led by the author or moderator. What is the time limit on these book clubs? I wish the time span was posted for each club so you could buy the book and start reading it.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Upcoming schedule

Glad to hear that a Coming Soon page is coming see. I noticed that next week's new groups are shown on the boards, but many of us like more than a week's notice, particularly if we have to order books. I hope the new Coming Soon board will show discussions through the following month, similiar to the old format.

Kevin wrote:
humbrd33, and others who have requested more information about upcoming Book Clubs ... Stay tuned! We're going to have a Coming Soon page up by the end of the week. Once we get that page established, you'll have more information about future Book Clubs. And we'll be returning to our regular email update as well.

Thanks for being here. I hope you're finding your way around OK.

Liz ♥ ♥