Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Help With Signing In and Signing Out

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone,

We've made some technical changes to our site over the past couple weeks, including the introduction of the new My B&N profile, in order to better connect the Book Clubs with the rest of the website.  As a result of these changes, there are now some differences in the procedure to sign on to the Book Clubs.  We've noticed that a few users have had some trouble getting into the Book Clubs - so this thread is a guide to the easiest ways to sign in and sign out of the Book Clubs.  

Signing In:

• If you are already looking at a Book Clubs page - such as this page you are reading right now, or any individual board, or the "browse Book Clubs" page - look for the image of a bookshelf up towards the top of the page with the words "Book Clubs" on it in white text.  Just below this, on the left hand side of the page, you should see a line reading "Register . Sign In".  Click "Sign In" and you'll be prompted to enter your email address and password.   Once you do so, you are now signed in to the Book Clubs.
  • If you are coming from the Barnes&Noble.com homepage, you can click on the red "My B&N" button on the upper right side of your screen.  This will also prompt you for your email address and password.  Once you do so, you'll be taken to your My B&N profile.  From here you can navigate to the Book Clubs by clicking on the Book Clubs button on the upper right part of your page.  This will take you to the Book Clubs homepage.  From here you can navigate to any individual board or to the browse page by using the menu on the upper left side of the screen.  When you get to an individual board or the browse page, it might look like you aren't signed in, however all you need to do is click on the "Sign In" link mentioned above - you won't need to re-enter your info - and your personal settings will appear.

A Note About "Remember Me":

• When you sign on at Barnes&Noble.com - through either method described above - you'll be given the option to check "Remember Me".  Like many online retailers, if you are shopping with us online you will automatically be disconnected from your shopping session after a short period of inactivity - this is for your security. Clicking "Remember Me" will ensure that, when this happens, you are still able to use your Book Clubs account and do other community activities here on the site. 
  • If you are using a public or shared computer, for your own security we recommend that you do not check "Remember Me".  However if you are using a private computer or your home computer, we strongly recommend for your convenience that you do check it.

Signing Out:

• In order to sign out of the site completely, look up at the very top of the page where it says "Welcome, (your name)! Not (your name)?" Click on "Not (your name)" and you will be completely signed out and taken back to the Barnes&Noble.com home page. 

I hope this helps answer some questions about the current signing in and signing out process.  If you are having trouble with any aspect of signing in or signing out or have any questions, please post in this thread and I'll help you out as much as I can!

Message Edited by Jon_B on 10-30-2008 08:46 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

Hello ---

At home, on my PC, I have been unable to sign in and register to the point where I am able to make any contributions to the boards ( this has been going on for at least a couple of weeks now ) ^^^

[  I am on a library computer right now - that is the only way I can get through ] ^^^

So, I have been able to read 'em, but I have not been able to sen 'em in...

I have tried every trick in the book ( at home ) including signing out and signing back in, checking to see if the PC was accepting cookies, I have tried repeatedly ( almost every day ) to get inside ( from home ) but nothing seems to do any good...

"Middle-earth Is A State Of Mind"
^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

Incidentally, my last posting to this Thread was a plea for help!

Is there anything that can be done ( "from the outside in", so to speak ) to remedy my problem? ^^^

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

I am having the exact same problem,  I can only access book club through my work computer.

The problem appears to be with IE 7/Vista because IE 6 displays the page correctly.

BN needs to fix their website so it works with both versions of IE.

BN please help us.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I am the same way also. I can access my account at home and read the bookclub posts, but I can only sign into the bookclub from work.
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

To those of you who are able to sign in from work but not from home, are you running any kind of antivirus or firewall software on your home computers?  Are you running any plugins or extensions in your browser and if so, what are they?

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

I have McAfee 9.0.  My add -ons are Adobe, Java, Quicktime, XML, XSL. I don't have any extensions.

I spoke with your 1-800 number cust. serv. and they deleted my account record from your system,  I was told to create a new account record and see if the problem was fixed.  I did and the problem was not resolved,

So, it appears that I am a new user, but I am not.  My previous user name was jabrke. The last time I was able to log in from my home computer was the beginning of October.

Thank you for your help.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

our system is CA. We have roadrunner and use both msn and explorer to sign on and off. I usually use the msn one.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Once again I had to sign in three times. It seems to happen for a week at a time, every two weeks. So 2 good weeks, one bad, two good, and so on.  I followed Kev's advice last time and that made it go away but it's back.

Just for clarity

I from the sign in low on the home page , click to sign in, sigin in, get not recognized and asked to sign in again, get recognized but not instead of directly going to book clubs (as I do on a good week) get sent to an account page, click book clubs, and then am required to sign in yet again.

It's frustraighting, if this is just what going to happen every so often, it'd be nice to know.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

It's hard to figure out why signing in is more complicated for you at some times than at others (and this is happening for a few other people too it seems), because we aren't changing anything on the site.

However - try this.  Sign in up at the top of the page by pressing the My B&N button, which should bring up the popup window asking for your email and password.  Then, come to the Book Clubs and come to the browse page or any of the individual boards.  It will look like you aren't signed on, but if you click the "sign on" link in the Book Clubs (the lower one) it should sign you in automatically, without prompting you again for your username..

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I did exactly what you suggested and I still cannot access bookclubs from my  home computer.

Everytime I hit sign in from the browse bookclubs page, the top of the page refreshes, but it will not sign me in.

Message Edited by jabrkeKB on 11-21-2008 05:53 PM
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Hi jabrkeKB

Have you tried completely disabling McAfee, restarting your browser, and then signign in via the method I mentioned above?  Also you mentioned above that you were unable to use the forum with IE 7 but could get in with IE 6 - is this the case at work only or can you get in via IE 6 at home as well?

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post.

Disabling McAfee did not make a difference.

I can get signed into bookclubs at work using IE 6 or 7.

At home I have IE 7 and I cannot sign into the bookclubs.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to use my work computer to post to bookclubs.

Thanks for your help.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Hi jabrkeKB

Sorry to hear that disabling McAfee did not make a difference.

Since you are able to sign in with IE7 on your work computer, but not witth IE7 on your home computer, I think the best solution is to methodically go through and look at the differences in settings between your home computer and your work computer.

Since it doesn't seem to be McAfee, it might be a specific setting in IE7.   Go to the Tools menu, choose Options, and then go through all of the different tabs and look at what these settings are.  Are the settings here different between your home computer and your work computer?  If you find a difference, that could be the culprit - so try changing the settings on your home computer to match those on your work computer.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Hi Jon, 

Unfortunately I am experiencing the same problem as jabrke.  I need to send this to you from work, which I can not continue to do, because when I attempt to sign on at home I get an "error on page" message.  No problem signing in to purchase books though :smileywink:.

The only thing that has changed lately is the fact that we no longer have McAfee security but the security that comes w/roadrunner.com.

I hope you can fix us up for the new year or tell us what we need to do.

Thanks

Jon_B wrote:

Hi jabrkeKB

Since you are able to sign in with IE7 on your work computer, but not witth IE7 on your home computer, I think the best solution is to methodically go through and look at the differences in settings between your home computer and your work computer.

Since it doesn't seem to be McAfee, it might be a specific setting in IE7.   Go to the Tools menu, choose Options, and then go through all of the different tabs and look at what these settings are.  Are the settings here different between your home computer and your work computer?  If you find a difference, that could be the culprit - so try changing the settings on your home computer to match those on your work computer.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Things are still not working for me at home, Jon.  I tried to log in through My B&N but no success.  Looks like I won't be joining in on the Jan 5 discussions.  In the meantime I'll try other options on my end and read the posts of others.

Thanks anyway.

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Hi Jon, 

Unfortunately I am experiencing the same problem as jabrke.  I need to send this to you from work, which I can not continue to do, because when I attempt to sign on at home I get an "error on page" message.  No problem signing in to purchase books though :smileywink:.

The only thing that has changed lately is the fact that we no longer have McAfee security but the security that comes w/roadrunner.com.

Thanks

Jon_B wrote:

Hi jabrkeKB

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Yeah!  I'm in again!  It was  a firewall issue.  I would recommend anyone having problems now that were always able to log in in the past, like me, to determine what it was that you may have done to your computer since your last sign on.   Good Luck.
Carmenere_lady wrote:

Things are still not working for me at home, Jon.  I tried to log in through My B&N but no success.  Looks like I won't be joining in on the Jan 5 discussions.  In the meantime I'll try other options on my end and read the posts of others.

Thanks anyway.

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Hi Jon, 

Thanks

Jon_B wrote:

Hi jabrkeKB

Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
oldBPLstackdenizen
0 Kudos

jabrkeKB wrote:

I did exactly what you suggested and I still cannot access bookclubs from my  home computer.

Everytime I hit sign in from the browse bookclubs page, the top of the page refreshes, but it will not sign me in.

Message Edited by jabrkeKB on 11-21-2008 05:53 PM

I have been having the exact same problem, except that I do not have a computer at an office, but I can use the public computers at the library in order to "get through" ( but not at home ) ---

I also tried disabling our McAfee Security program, but that had no effect ---

I feel like I have gone through all my settings ( on the home computer ) with a fine-tooth comb, & yet I haven't been able to find anything that might be blocking my "reception" -

I believe it is set up to accept "cookies" & so forth....

^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Ardo Whortleberry
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Do you have parental controls set up? That seemed to make a difference to my laptop with Vista. I am totally technology challenged but my husband figured it out. Once he took disabled parental control I could get onto commercial sites. It was not a b&n but another site with me but just a suggestion. You never know. I understand your frustration.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

I wonder how many other people are having problems--but can't tell B&N because they don't have access to another computer.