Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

Well if worse comes to worse they can contact our customer service department by phone and they will put the user in touch with us.

Unfortunately when someone is able to access the boards with one computer and not with another, that usually indicates that the problem has to do with the settings on that specific computer.   We try to help everyone as much as we can and provide access to the boards from as many different browsers and operating systems and general computer configurations as we can, but there are still always people with some technical problems that are unique to their particular computer setup.  

However as I have said before the best advice I can give when you are in a situation where you know one computer can access the site and another can't, is to take a close look at the settings on the computer that can sign in here - including the browser's settings, the Network Connections settings, and the settings of any firewall, popup blocker, antivirus, or other software you might be using - and try to replicate those settings on the computer that you can't sign in with.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Jon, since you made the changes to the login system, I have had to log in afresh each and every time I check in.  The system used to just recognize me.  Actually, it still recognizes me but forces me to log in anyway.  What I'd like to know, though, is why when I click on "login" it also changes the page and forces me to look at the front board and then negotiate myself back to my favorite Harry Potter board.   Can this be changed? 

Also, if this need to login afresh is some kind of security measure, you probably should know that if I'm not logged in, and I wish to reply to something, I can click on reply and the system then acts as though I've logged in.  I don't need to click on "login" half the time at all! 

Thanks!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

not what i need to know jon,but i do need help posting a link from 2/8 nytimes.com article"How to live on 500k in NYC..thought eman would enjoy it,since he thinks that no caps allowed.to keep the Best talent...I adore him,but disagree we need people who aren't slimy used car salesman..with what degree?  we need fresh,young academics,economists,or Warren Buffet cones..Did u hear in Greenwich,ct a group showed up at the CEO of Morgan Stanley..The Greenwich police, gave them a thumbs up,no arrests..He blocked Bank of A from working out a program to help keep peolple in their homes...So if u can help me put it on the stimulis board,unless it should go elsewhere..Thanks VTC  if you want to post it feel free and then instruct me how at a later time...U are the Man.........
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Jon, since you made the changes to the login system, I have had to log in afresh each and every time I check in.  The system used to just recognize me.  Actually, it still recognizes me but forces me to log in anyway.  What I'd like to know, though, is why when I click on "login" it also changes the page and forces me to look at the front board and then negotiate myself back to my favorite Harry Potter board.   Can this be changed? 

Also, if this need to login afresh is some kind of security measure, you probably should know that if I'm not logged in, and I wish to reply to something, I can click on reply and the system then acts as though I've logged in.  I don't need to click on "login" half the time at all! 

Thanks!

Hi Psychee, whats happening is that in some situations it looks like you aren't logged in but you really are.   That's why you are able to reply - once you are logged in to BN.com, doing any kind of activity here on the Book Clubs will cause the Book Clubs to recognize you.
I realize though that this is confusing and that sometimes things don't synch up correctly.  We are currently working on a fix for this, so stay tuned!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
not what i need to know jon,but i do need help posting a link from 2/8 nytimes.com article"How to live on 500k in NYC..thought eman would enjoy it,since he thinks that no caps allowed.to keep the Best talent...I adore him,but disagree we need people who aren't slimy used car salesman..with what degree?  we need fresh,young academics,economists,or Warren Buffet cones..Did u hear in Greenwich,ct a group showed up at the CEO of Morgan Stanley..The Greenwich police, gave them a thumbs up,no arrests..He blocked Bank of A from working out a program to help keep peolple in their homes...So if u can help me put it on the stimulis board,unless it should go elsewhere..Thanks VTC  if you want to post it feel free and then instruct me how at a later time...U are the Man......... 

Hi Vermontcozy:
Are you referring to this?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/fashion/08halfmill.html
Just copy the link from your address bar (select it, and then hit control+c) and then start a new post in the thread where you want to post it and then paste it there (hit control+v)
Hope that helps!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Anyone,

I'm going to make this quick cause I'm still not sure if this will post or not.  For the last few days I've been having problems signing into the book clubs or my profile.  When I go to my.barnesandnoble.com I get a page that says sorry there are erroros on the page.  When I try to get on through the book clubs, I'm able to view what others have posted but when I click sign in, I get a yellow sign at the bottom of the page that says error and I'm never able to sign in.  I googled fforgnayr user profile and was able to get on here that way, but I don't know for how long.  I'm just wondering if for some reason the web sight is not recognizing me or if some setting somewhere is off.  I haven't changed anything on my computer.  I just emailed customer service tonight so hopefully someone will be able to look at my situation from that end.  Anyway if someone know what may be going on please let me know.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Are your cookies set to the highest level....check the box to allow you to be signed in until you sign out.....or it could just be BN...Good Luck.....vtc
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

This is the first time I've been able to sign in today.  I probably tried 30 times at different times.  I checked my security setting and it is set to allow all cookies from Barnes and Noble so that isn't the problem.  All I know is that I'm starting to get really frustrated, because since I'm able to get on now it has to be a problem on B & N's end not mine.  I just wish I knew what was going on.

Vermontcozy wrote:
Are your cookies set to the highest level....check the box to allow you to be signed in until you sign out.....or it could just be BN...Good Luck.....vtc

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan - we have indeed made a few changes in this area with this latest release so it's possible that's what's causing your problem.

Can you tell me specifically what the error messages you are getting say when you try to sign in?

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Jon,

First of all let me say Yeah! it only took 5 times this time.   Anyway when I try and way to get to my B & N page it redirects me to a green screen and says "Wer'e Sorry there are errors on the page, click here to continue shopping" or wording really close to that.  Then if I try to long on through the bookclubs and hit sign in, it says errors on page at the bottom of the screen

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Jon,

The way that seems to work now is if I go to Book Clubs and where it says welcome Ryan, not Ryan? I have to select not Ryan? which takes me to the search page.  I then have to back up, pick a book club, then sign in.  Then it will allow me to enter my email and password.  If I don't select not Ryan? first it just says error on page.  

Reader
Spacy_Chick
0 Kudos

I was unable to sign in using Safari.  I'm on a Mac so I tried Firefox and that worked fine.  I did have to sign up for a new account since the system didn't recognize my old email name but it has been some time since I signed in.

I got hung up on the Penname screen-  no matter what I chose it reverted me back to the main page.  I was never given the window to accept/change pen name.  I did turn off my pop-up blocker but it still didn't work.

Frequent Contributor
mwinasu
0 Kudos

I have been trying to sign up for the April First look Book but I keep getting shuffled back to the home page.  Actually This is the first message I have been able to post in a couple of month's.  Help.
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Not able to Pm again last night and this am..and posting has been hit or miss,Sad Little V...Re PM not pmsing..Thank you for clearing this up for me in advance
Inspired Correspondent
ladybug74
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

Hi Everyone,

We've made some technical changes to our site over the past couple weeks, including the introduction of the new My B&N profile, in order to better connect the Book Clubs with the rest of the website.  As a result of these changes, there are now some differences in the procedure to sign on to the Book Clubs.  We've noticed that a few users have had some trouble getting into the Book Clubs - so this thread is a guide to the easiest ways to sign in and sign out of the Book Clubs.  

Signing In:

• If you are already looking at a Book Clubs page - such as this page you are reading right now, or any individual board, or the "browse Book Clubs" page - look for the image of a bookshelf up towards the top of the page with the words "Book Clubs" on it in white text.  Just below this, on the left hand side of the page, you should see a line reading "Register . Sign In".  Click "Sign In" and you'll be prompted to enter your email address and password.   Once you do so, you are now signed in to the Book Clubs.
  • If you are coming from the Barnes&Noble.com homepage, you can click on the red "My B&N" button on the upper right side of your screen.  This will also prompt you for your email address and password.  Once you do so, you'll be taken to your My B&N profile.  From here you can navigate to the Book Clubs by clicking on the Book Clubs button on the upper right part of your page.  This will take you to the Book Clubs homepage.  From here you can navigate to any individual board or to the browse page by using the menu on the upper left side of the screen.  When you get to an individual board or the browse page, it might look like you aren't signed in, however all you need to do is click on the "Sign In" link mentioned above - you won't need to re-enter your info - and your personal settings will appear.

I hope this helps answer some questions about the current signing in and signing out process.  If you are having trouble with any aspect of signing in or signing out or have any questions, please post in this thread and I'll help you out as much as I can!

Message Edited by Jon_B on 10-30-2008 08:46 AM

I can sign in as you mentioned above, but then I still have to sign in again to post on the First Look message boards. This is where I am not able to sign in. I typically use a Firefox browser. I finally decided to try Internet Explorer (which I dislike and prefer not to use) and got on the message boards. Your new sign in methods appear not to work with the Firefox browser.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Strange.. I'm using Firefox myself.  Do you have Firefox set to accept cookies?

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm a Firefox user and have had big problems trying to sign in to the book clubs. I thought it might be the time of day — I'm a bit of a night owl and often sign on in the wee hours — but when I failed again this afternoon, I'm starting to wonder if it's me.

Most of the time when I sign in, I get an error message, and Firefox tells me "The connection was reset while trying to contact the server." The next most common occurrance is that I click the sign-in link, the browser loads the page again, but I'm still not signed in. I've tried doing it from the main page, from my MyB&N profile, I've tried completely signing myself out of BN.com (as with other folk here, I have no trouble signing onto the website, just the book clubs). When I do get signed in from home, it seems more like an accident.

After reading some of the responses here, I'll try playing with my permissions and so forth, but it's really annoying.
Message Edited by JL_Garner on 08-24-2009 07:45 PM
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

It not just your personal permistions. Firefox is in th middle of a big upgrade currently. It hichups on a lot of sites. Just click the blue circle arrow and try again. The process should clear up in a month. Always does, happens every year.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

I've been having the same trouble for months, ever since the sign in procedure changed. I also have Firefox but I always did and it wasn't a problem for the years I visited before that. I can also get to the site without a problem but signing in to my account takes many tries and seems to be an accident once I do get signed in. I still have a dial up connection at home (ugh!) so it takes forever. It's become so annoying I don't get here much anymore. I use to come every day but now it varies. Sometimes it's weeks or longer. I miss visiting but it's so aggravating that I can't do it much.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
I've been having the same trouble for months, ever since the sign in procedure changed. I also have Firefox but I always did and it wasn't a problem for the years I visited before that. I can also get to the site without a problem but signing in to my account takes many tries and seems to be an accident once I do get signed in. I still have a dial up connection at home (ugh!) so it takes forever. It's become so annoying I don't get here much anymore. I use to come every day but now it varies. Sometimes it's weeks or longer. I miss visiting but it's so aggravating that I can't do it much.

Sadly that the problem with dial up. It just can't transmit the info fast enough for most site use. Your browser has a time out period for each page and each part of a page to load. Slow transmission means the more complicated the site, the longer it takes. And ever since twitter was born, slow pages down to half speed. Ever since the blog links went on here, even slower. (shrug) Upgrade your system, when you can, it'll fix it.