Reply
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
Posts: 338
Registered: ‎04-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

Okay, this is interesting, and Wrighty might want to give it a shot, because we're both in the same dial-up boat...

 

When I click on the "sign in" link at the top of the page, I get error messages. When I go to the main view of the forums (http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/) and click on the "sign in" link in the left-hand sidebar, I have no problem. Occasionally I'll have to do it twice, but I get no error messages.

 

Why would these two links, which you'd assume do the same thing, produce such different results?

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

[ Edited ]

I have tried both Firefox and Google Chrome but it still takes me a long time to sign in, whereas it did not before all the B&N changes took place.   I have now gone back to IE.  That has also solved the problem of being booted off B&N when I clicked on a link.  So far, I have not had any more 'malformed HTML' error messages. 

 

Are the B&N changes finished and are things now set in stone?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out


Choisya wrote:

I have tried both Firefox and Google Chrome but it still takes me a long time to sign in, whereas it did not before all the B&N changes took place.   I have now gone back to IE.  That has also solved the problem of being booted off B&N when I clicked on a link.  So far, I have not had any more 'malformed HTML' error messages. 

 

Are the B&N changes finished and are things now set in stone?


 

I am now signing in twice,as opposed to 3,4 times..This must be a CIA,MI5 Bookclub..always checking if we are who we are...I still have IE8 ..very quiet around here..V


Choisya wrote:

I have tried both Firefox and Google Chrome but it still takes me a long time to sign in, whereas it did not before all the B&N changes took place.   I have now gone back to IE.  That has also solved the problem of being booted off B&N when I clicked on a link.  So far, I have not had any more 'malformed HTML' error messages. 

 

Are the B&N changes finished and are things now set in stone?


 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

 


Choisya wrote:

I have tried both Firefox and Google Chrome but it still takes me a long time to sign in, whereas it did not before all the B&N changes took place.   I have now gone back to IE.  That has also solved the problem of being booted off B&N when I clicked on a link.  So far, I have not had any more 'malformed HTML' error messages. 

 

Are the B&N changes finished and are things now set in stone?


 

 

Oh Choisya you should know by now that nothing around here is ever set in stone :smileywink:

 

As a matter of fact we are currently working on a new design, taking into account many of the comments made in the Maintenence thread over in the Community Room. 

 

Jon

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,372
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

I hope one of the things you're taking into account is my complaint about having to confirm my desire to mark all threads on a board read.  I do that quite a bit - choose which threads I want to read, read them, and then mark the rest as read so that it is easier on my next visit to see if there might be something new I want to read.  It is a Royal Pain that it now takes twice as long, because after I say I want to mark them read, I have to say that yes, I want to mark them read!!!  I think this is the most inconvenient thing that I have found about the new design.  The site is pretty slow to begin with, so making that one thing that I repeatedly do over and over take twice as long is maddening!  And the message afterwards just annoys me; not sure why.  I can see that they have been marked read; I don't need something at the top of the board boasting and congratulating themselves about it - and who the heck is 'we'?  Am I supposed to think that there are actual people back there, manually marking things as read when I request?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

[ Edited ]

It's not people, its gnomes.  They live inside the Book Clubs servers, and they do things like marking your messages as read, stealing your laurels in the middle of the night and give them to your enemies, and they try to change all of the products people link to books about gnomes - although we usually catch them before its too late.

 

I'll see if I can find a way to disable that intermediate "confirmation" step.  The slowness is a site wide problem we are working on, it's not particular to the mark-messages-as-read function, though that is of course affected by it.

 

 

 

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

 


Jon_B wrote:

It's not people, its gnomes.  They live inside the Book Clubs servers, and they do things like marking your messages as read, stealing your laurels in the middle of the night and give them to your enemies, and they try to change all of the products people link to books about gnomes - although we usually catch them before its too late.

 

I'll see if I can find a way to disable that intermediate "confirmation" step.  The slowness is a site wide problem we are working on, it's not particular to the mark-messages-as-read function, though that is of course affected by it.

 

 

 

 


 

(laughing) No silly they're no Gnomes, they're gremlins. Don't let the red caps fool you.

 

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

 

I dislike these congratulatory messages too Dulcie.  They make me feel like a child who is being potty trained!!!:smileysurprised: 


dulcinea3 wrote:

I hope one of the things you're taking into account is my complaint about having to confirm my desire to mark all threads on a board read.  I do that quite a bit - choose which threads I want to read, read them, and then mark the rest as read so that it is easier on my next visit to see if there might be something new I want to read.  It is a Royal Pain that it now takes twice as long, because after I say I want to mark them read, I have to say that yes, I want to mark them read!!!  I think this is the most inconvenient thing that I have found about the new design.  The site is pretty slow to begin with, so making that one thing that I repeatedly do over and over take twice as long is maddening!  And the message afterwards just annoys me; not sure why.  I can see that they have been marked read; I don't need something at the top of the board boasting and congratulating themselves about it - and who the heck is 'we'?  Am I supposed to think that there are actual people back there, manually marking things as read when I request?


 

 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

I just wish I could sign in so I can reply to messages. It works from this computer (my netbook) but on the desk top, no matter where I go, I am always routed to "my account" and shown the latest books I bought. If this continues - I've wasted too much time on this already - I'll have to say goodbye to Barnes and Noble Book Clubs. The netbook is too small to work with on a regular basis.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out


Sunltcloud wrote:

I just wish I could sign in so I can reply to messages. It works from this computer (my netbook) but on the desk top, no matter where I go, I am always routed to "my account" and shown the latest books I bought. If this continues - I've wasted too much time on this already - I'll have to say goodbye to Barnes and Noble Book Clubs. The netbook is too small to work with on a regular basis.


 

Exact same problem... for days..PLEASE HELP>>.so annoying..Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

A Note About "Remember Me":

 

  • When you sign on at Barnes&Noble.com - through either method described above - you'll be given the option to check "Remember Me".  Like many online retailers, if you are shopping with us online you will automatically be disconnected from your shopping session after a short period of inactivity - this is for your security. Clicking "Remember Me" will ensure that, when this happens, you are still able to use your Book Clubs account and do other community activities here on the site. 
  • If you are using a public or shared computer, for your own security we recommend that you do not check "Remember Me".  However if you are using a private computer or your home computer, we strongly recommend for your convenience that you do check it.

======================================================================

 

When I login I leave the box "remember me" unchecked. When I logout and go to another web page and come back in, I noticed that I am automatically login. This does not seem like very good idea since anyone else using this computer is automatically login at the book clubs but also into my account.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

 


Nadine wrote:

A Note About "Remember Me":

 

  • When you sign on at Barnes&Noble.com - through either method described above - you'll be given the option to check "Remember Me".  Like many online retailers, if you are shopping with us online you will automatically be disconnected from your shopping session after a short period of inactivity - this is for your security. Clicking "Remember Me" will ensure that, when this happens, you are still able to use your Book Clubs account and do other community activities here on the site. 
  • If you are using a public or shared computer, for your own security we recommend that you do not check "Remember Me".  However if you are using a private computer or your home computer, we strongly recommend for your convenience that you do check it.

======================================================================

 

When I login I leave the box "remember me" unchecked. When I logout and go to another web page and come back in, I noticed that I am automatically login. This does not seem like very good idea since anyone else using this computer is automatically login at the book clubs but also into my account.


Yeah we've been talking about this over in maintanece today thread in community.
It's a double sign out glitch.
This is how you have to get around it. Sign out as normal on the right side. Then up at the top sign out again. Other wise you still be here.
Yes the mods Ken and Jon have been told, one day it just might be fixed too.

 

 

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

[ Edited ]

 


Sunltcloud wrote:

I just wish I could sign in so I can reply to messages. It works from this computer (my netbook) but on the desk top, no matter where I go, I am always routed to "my account" and shown the latest books I bought. If this continues - I've wasted too much time on this already - I'll have to say goodbye to Barnes and Noble Book Clubs. The netbook is too small to work with on a regular basis.


 

If you are able to sign in with one computer but not on another, this suggests that the issue is with the computer than you can't sign in on.  Are you using the same operating system and browser on both? 

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
Posts: 1,626
Registered: ‎06-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

[ Edited ]

I'm having sign-in problems the past few weeks. I use only the Book Clubs, and I have Firefox 3.55 on Win XP SP3. There are 30 cookies stored in FF, which is set to "Accept cookies", yet the "Remember me" box doesn't work. I tried deleting all the cookies and getting them back, and clearing the cache. Sometimes I get a message that cookies are NOT enabled, other times not.


Also, although my BookClub profile calls for threads listed from oldest to newest, they keep reversing themselves. I had to go into IE to reverse them for each forum I use, now they're reversed again.


When I try to go to my BookClub profile, I keep getting redirected to the BN Account page, with its constant reminders that I haven't bought anything lately. Yuch.


I've been off the site for a while after the software was upgraded, but I know  I didn't have this with the old software. I've been an active BookClub member for several years.


And no, disabling my antivirus and firewall doesn't help, and it would be foolish to do that. I repair computers professionally. Firewalls and A-V's don't block log-ins or deal with cookies from a legit site. It's the (relatively) new BN software. And if the BN site is not compatible with firewalls and A-V programs, they'd better retool.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

I have not been able to sign on at all under Firefox this afternoon. I can't even get a sign-in box on when I click longin. Just a "Done" in the bottom. I can sign into my account but that doesn't get me in the clubs. I final used my Explorer Browser but that is intolerably slow!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
Posts: 661
Registered: ‎12-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

[ Edited ]

 

Nadine wrote:

I have not been able to sign on at all under Firefox this afternoon. I can't even get a sign-in box on when I click longin. Just a "Done" in the bottom. I can sign into my account but that doesn't get me in the clubs. I final used my Explorer Browser but that is intolerably slow!

 

I've been having the same problem for the last 3 days.  Signing in with Firefox 3.6 is next to impossible, IE is not much better.  So, I downloaded Google Chrome and guess what, it works fine, logs in without a hitch and runs rings around IE.  I still prefer Firefox but I'll continue to use Chrome until the Firefox bug is worked out.

 

Edit added:

Here's an interesting thing.  I discovered that if after I've logged in to the bookclub, I exit Chrome, return to Firefox (which is just minimzed) and refresh the bookclub page, the page refreshes with me logged in.  Strange.

 

Frequent Contributor
soylentgeek
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎10-26-2009

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

I got in today with Chrome, but I've ha nothing but problems when using Firefox 3.6 and IE. IE 6, IE 8 64 bit and 32 bit, I can't log in. It's not like you can even contact B&N to ask for help or let them know there's a problem because without logging in to the book clubs, there's no way to contact anyone. Logging in to the site worked fine, but still the book clubs wouldn't work.

 

I've been having this problem for three days. Clicking the Sign In link on the Community bar does nothing in Firefox 3.6. Clicking Sign In on the Quick Links does nothing. In Internet Explorer, I get an ASP error. Up until just now, it was doing nothing in Chrome. 

 

This has been going on since at least Friday. It's making it very, very hard to actually have a discussion about a book series because I never know when I won't be able to get logged in and post.

Wordsmith
Capuchin
Posts: 250
Registered: ‎05-17-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

Things have gone all topsy-turvy again!

Every time I try to log into the boards, I get an error message concerning cookies.

The settings in my browser did not change! They are already set to the options listed on that error page. A check of the folder shows B&N cookies from previous visits.

In fact, I shouldn't have to sign in at all -- every time I sign in, I check the 'Remember Me' box. That used to automatically log me in every time I visit, but since the last 'upgrade' (and afer a long time of not being able to log in at all), I have to sign in each and every visit (and, yes, I check the 'Remember Me' box each time).

This happens both with IE under WinXP and Firefox under Ubuntu.

In the last few months, I have sent at least six notices through the B&N Help desk concerning these issues. Only one was ever answered, and all they said was I had to call them. I sent a reply that I cannot use a telephone because of my disability, and they never bothered to answer.

In case anyone else is having this problem -- I found a workaround.

I go to B&N's home page and log into my account.

I then go to 'Book Clubs' (which shows I'm not signed in). (If I try to sign in, it gives me the cookies error.)

I click 'reply' to any thread. It then gives me the proper sign-in form and lets me log into the board.

I can then 'Cancel' the reply and use the board as usual.

(I haven't yet tried going from one board to another yet -- that might be interesting.)

If anyone has a simpler way I can use during the interval (days? weeks? years?) it takes them to fix this, I'd love to hear it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,372
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

I have been having a terrible time getting into the book clubs lately, and this is the only thing that is working for me: The site used to remember me, but it rarely does any more.  So I would use the Sign In link (there are several in different positions on the page, and I tried this with all of them).  That would log me in to my general B&N account, and by the time I got to the Book Clubs, it looked like I was logged out again.  I did notice that when I clicked on the Book Clubs button at the top of the page, it was opening a new browser, so I thought that might be why.  Then I tried going to My B&N after logging in, which did not open a new browser, and then clicking on the link to one of the clubs that I had listed as a favorite.  I think that worked once, but usually it didn't.  It was so frustrating!  Now what I am doing, that seems to work (knock on wood) is not even trying to log in at the beginning, but going to a thread, hitting reply, and then logging in at that point when it asks me to (and not necessarily actually entering and posting a reply).  That seems to keep me logged in for the session.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Help With Signing In and Signing Out

Why can't I log in to B&N Community without Signing into my account. First I get dumped into my account information when I log in to the community and have to work my way back to the community to do what I wanted to do in the first place. I don't want to go to my account when I log into the community. If I wanted to go to my account I would sign into my account.

 

Now if I log out of the community, I am still signed into my account. Not a good security measure if I happen to be on a public computer and "forget" that I have to both log out of the community and sign out of my account. Now if I sign out of my account after logging in when I remember, I do stay logged in in the community as long as I don't do anything. But if I do than I'm automatically log out of the community and have to start all over again.

 

Now if I am signed into my account, which I have to be, and close my browser -- or even turn off the computer -- I am still signed into my account the next day. B&N doesn't seem to have much regard for costomer security. Every other system that I have dealt with automatically logs me out when I close my browser (minimal level of security), often as soon as I leave the company website (Amazon does and this is the highest level of security) and some when my account hasn't been active for a certain period of time (the cautious level of security).