Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
reader_for_life
0 Kudos

Is the Library on my Barnes and Noble book page for books I've read or books I want to read?

What do most people have in their library? Books they've read or books they want to read? I like to be organized, that's why I want to know. :]
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: Is the Library on my Barnes and Noble book page for books I've read or books I want to read?

Well it can be anything you want.  Personally my Library is mostly books I happen to have purchased recently, in the last few months.  Some of them I've read and some of them I'm in the middle of reading and some of them I haven't started yet.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Is the Library on my Barnes and Noble book page for books I've read or books I want to read?

I use the Library for books that I own, although I'm sure I will never add all of my many books to it.  When I read a book, especially for the discussion groups here, I will add it and mark it as being currently read.  I've been happy to find some editions that I wouldn't have expected to, even if I have had them many years, although some of them don't have pictures of the covers.  Then I have sometimes just gone in and added all the books I have by a particular author (I did this a few times to make the 'suggestions' change, because I was seeing a lot of books that I already had).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Strange - I just wanted to add to my post, but I don't have an option to edit that one!

Anyway, I do have to confess that I find the Library frustrating to maintain.  If you add or delete items, there is no 'Save' button, and sometimes my changes take and sometimes they don't.  I once had to add a whole bunch of books three or four times!  Today I decided to use it only for books, so I deleted some DVDs I had in there, and I had to do it twice.  I find the safest way seems to be to make the changes, and then just immediately shut down the browser before anything can happen to my changes.

Hmmm, now THIS one I CAN edit!?

It would also be nice if there were some way we could organize the items in the Library.  Once I go in, I can sort it by author, but it doesn't stay that way - it always reverts back to last added showing first, which is not very satisfactory.

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 12-29-2008 04:17 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi, my favorite poster!

In regards to "editing".  You need to make your edits within the hour, after that the option is gone - Gone, Gone, Gone!  Only people "in charge" can edit to their hearts content!

:smileyhappy:

Kathy

dulcinea3 wrote:

Strange - I just wanted to add to my post, but I don't have an option to edit that one!

Hmmm, now THIS one I CAN edit!?

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 12-29-2008 04:17 PM

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hi "Dr. Kathy"!

Oh, ok, thanks - I thought maybe I had to change my avatar, or something... :smileytongue:

New User
rieth
0 Kudos

I wish there was an easier or more obvious way to transfer books in "My Library" to and from "My Favorites" (seeing as how it makes sense that I happen to own all of my favorites).  Because the recommendations that I get are based on the "My Favorites" list and not my library, as I understand it...  Do I really need to search for everything I own twice - once to add to My Library and once again to add to My Favorites?
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: My Library and My Favorites

rieth wrote:
I wish there was an easier or more obvious way to transfer books in "My Library" to and from "My Favorites" (seeing as how it makes sense that I happen to own all of my favorites).  Because the recommendations that I get are based on the "My Favorites" list and not my library, as I understand it...  Do I really need to search for everything I own twice - once to add to My Library and once again to add to My Favorites?

Rieth,

If you mouse over any of the books in your Library, you'll see a little popup that will (among other things) give you the option of adding the book (or movie or cd) to your Favorites.

Going the other way (from your Favorites to your Library) is a little harder. To do that, you probably should click through to the book's product details page, and then click the "Add to List" menu directly beneath the Add to Cart button. You can easily add a book to your Library from there.

Hope this helps.