Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Messages marked as "read"

Dear moderators,

I have noticed a few times that when I post a message and then after posting, I click on Book Clubs Home. I check the list and see, hey there is an unread message.
Going back to the book club that I just left, I find that it is my own message that is "unread".
Am I going too fast? Do I need to stare at my own message for more seconds so that it is marked "read"?

Not a concern but it is something that I noticed.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Re: Messages marked as "read"

Caroline,

Even though when you click "Submit Post" it then takes you to your new post, the system doesn't consider it read until you have actually, actively clicked on the thread -- either from the board level or from a bookmark. We've noticed this too. While this isn't exactly a bug, I do agree that it would be helpful to most of us if all our own posts were automatically considered "read." Changing this is on our "wish list" but is admittedly not the highest priority at the moment. We shall see.

-BillP

caroline88 wrote:
Dear moderators,

I have noticed a few times that when I post a message and then after posting, I click on Book Clubs Home. I check the list and see, hey there is an unread message.
Going back to the book club that I just left, I find that it is my own message that is "unread".
Am I going too fast? Do I need to stare at my own message for more seconds so that it is marked "read"?

Not a concern but it is something that I noticed.

Caroline

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

BillP wrote:
Even though when you click "Submit Post" it then takes you to your new post, the system doesn't consider it read until you have actually, actively clicked on the thread -- either from the board level or from a bookmark. We've noticed this too. While this isn't exactly a bug, I do agree that it would be helpful to most of us if all our own posts were automatically considered "read." Changing this is on our "wish list" but is admittedly not the highest priority at the moment.

Would you be willing to share what ARE your highest priorities at the moment so we have a better idea what to look forward to and what to expect to wait for?
0 Kudos

Everyman,

We're trying not to promise anything that might end up getting delayed, or fall through, as sometimes happens in the world of website development.

But one of them we hope to have sooner than later is a better interface for posting messages -- with the ability to bold, indent, and other text formatting without knowing HTML.

-BillP

Everyman wrote:

Would you be willing to share what ARE your highest priorities at the moment so we have a better idea what to look forward to and what to expect to wait for?

Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Thank you Bill. As I already said, it is not a problem for me, I just wanted to inform you because I know how it is with building your own systems. We all have our blind spots. (I used to be a cobol programmer)

Cheers,
Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

caroline88 wrote:
(I used to be a cobol programmer)>

I can go you one better, perhaps: I used to teach APL. But that was several decades ago, and I probably couldn't write a single line of code today if I tried.
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

caroline88 wrote:

I can go you one better, perhaps: I used to teach APL. But that was several decades ago, and I probably couldn't write a single line of code today if I tried.

I go back to Assembly Language, "core dumps", and punched cards! Ah, the good old days when you really knew what was taking place inside the machines! Now I can barely figure out how to turn on the computer never mind how to use all this newfangled software!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Okay, I concede defeat. If I'm as old as dirt, you're even older!

The only points I can score are that I never had a single computer science or programming or anything course in my life. I was hired to teach math, English, and music at a private school -- this was in the mid 60s -- and when I got there for the opening faculty meetings, two days before school was to start, I was told that I was teaching a computer programming class. No advance notice or warning at all. A school parent was an IBM fellow who had a grant to figure out how to use computers in schools, and we had a teletype terminal, a modem which you put the handset into, and unlimited access time to an IBM 360 or 370, I forget which. So, I learned APL as I taught it. By the third year I taught it, I actually had some idea what I was doing, but I think the kids learned an incredible amount because they had to teach both themselves and me!

leakybucket wrote:

Everyman wrote:

caroline88 wrote:

I go back to Assembly Language, "core dumps", and punched cards! Ah, the good old days when you really knew what was taking place inside the machines! Now I can barely figure out how to turn on the computer never mind how to use all this newfangled software!

0 Kudos

Wow. You are old. I was born in the mid-60s.

Denise
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Kevin : Marking messages as "read"

Kevin: If I mark my messages as read will they disappear forever or can I get them back if I want to recap on something??
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Bill wrote in response to caroline 88:
Caroline,

Even though when you click "Submit Post" it then takes you to your new post, the system doesn't consider it read until you have actually, actively clicked on the thread -- either from the board level or from a bookmark. We've noticed this too. While this isn't exactly a bug, I do agree that it would be helpful to most of us if all our own posts were automatically considered "read." Changing this is on our "wish list" but is admittedly not the highest priority at the moment. We shall see.

-BillP
--------
I use those (=my own unmarked) messages as markers for orientation in the ocean of all posts...so unless the issue how to organize the posts on my own is solved and I am (as a participant) given more options to restructure the board according to my own preferences, I find it better be this way. I can always click on it, that is the slightest problem...and after all I didn't READ my own message, I just wrote it so it is plenty logical. I also think that other technical issues are more pressing to solve than this one.

cherio
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-06-200711:45 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

not Kevin but I volunteer (Kevin went out for a beer...LOL. kidding)

Choisya, nothing disappears unless B&N takes the forum (or a board) away....so all that happens is that all your messages will be marked bold or not. Moreover, you can mark them one way or the other as many times as you decide.

ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Your Good Health Kevin! (B)

Ziki (and Kevin) I went in my Profiles and ticked 'Mark all messages as read when you sign out' and Saved but I can't for the life of me see what difference it has made after I Signed Out and Came Back!! What does it do? And where does it do it? I thought it would mean that only messages I had not read would appear on the board but No! everything is still there! :smileysurprised:

ziki wrote:
not Kevin but I volunteer (Kevin went out for a beer...LOL. kidding)

Choisya, nothing disappears unless B&N takes the forum (or a board) away....so all that happens is that all your messages will be marked bold or not. Moreover, you can mark them one way or the other as many times as you decide.

ziki

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-06-200708:56 PM

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I went in my Profiles and ticked 'Mark all messages as read when you sign out' and Saved but I can't for the life of me see what difference it has made after I Signed Out and Came Back!! What does it do? And where does it do it?

Interesting question. The "read" messages don't go away, ever. People have discussed that -- a lot!

The option you're talking about is the trigger that tells the system when to consider something as "read" and when to consider it "new.'

Never/Manual means that everything is "new" until you see it or mark it as read.

Mark by Days lets you set a timetable on "reading" posts ... If you haven't looked at it in X days, then we'll consider it read. (You get to determine the X.)

Mark When Signing Off means that whenever you log out, everything that is posted by that point is considered by our systems as having been read by you -- whether you've looked at it or not. The only "new" messages you'll see when you return are those created after you signed out.

There's a lot of choices, and as we've said before, it's a matter of personal preference. We think the defaults are the most sensible, and the most widely used. But feel free to experiment, knowing that you can change it back when you want.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Thanks Kevin. I'll go back to the default.

Kevin wrote:

Choisya wrote:
I went in my Profiles and ticked 'Mark all messages as read when you sign out' and Saved but I can't for the life of me see what difference it has made after I Signed Out and Came Back!! What does it do? And where does it do it?

Interesting question. The "read" messages don't go away, ever. People have discussed that -- a lot!

The option you're talking about is the trigger that tells the system when to consider something as "read" and when to consider it "new.'

Never/Manual means that everything is "new" until you see it or mark it as read.

Mark by Days lets you set a timetable on "reading" posts ... If you haven't looked at it in X days, then we'll consider it read. (You get to determine the X.)

Mark When Signing Off means that whenever you log out, everything that is posted by that point is considered by our systems as having been read by you -- whether you've looked at it or not. The only "new" messages you'll see when you return are those created after you signed out.

There's a lot of choices, and as we've said before, it's a matter of personal preference. We think the defaults are the most sensible, and the most widely used. But feel free to experiment, knowing that you can change it back when you want.

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but I would appreciate any suggestions. Is there any way to mark particular posts as unread? I am running into a problem where as I'm reading a page of posts I'll see a few spoilers, so I'll skip reading those, but now the system marks them as read. Later I have to try to remember to go back through pages of posts to find the spoilers or other posts I skipped! Help!
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Christy, touch the little "Options" arrow just above on the right and click "Mark Message as New." Hope this works for you. Laurel

KristyR wrote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but I would appreciate any suggestions. Is there any way to mark particular posts as unread? I am running into a problem where as I'm reading a page of posts I'll see a few spoilers, so I'll skip reading those, but now the system marks them as read. Later I have to try to remember to go back through pages of posts to find the spoilers or other posts I skipped! Help!

Message Edited by Laurel on 01-08-200708:22 AM

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Re: Messages marked as "read" Thanks Laurel!

Laurel wrote:
Christy, touch the little "Options" arrow just above on the right and click "Mark Message as New." Hope this works for you. Laurel

KristyR wrote:

Message Edited by Laurel on 01-08-200708:22 AM

Thanks Laurel, for some reason that little arrow completely escaped my notice! I just started reading posts with potential spoilers last night and didn't know what I was going to do. I hate feeling like I missed reading some posts - I'm obsessive that way! It was taking me forever to find them and I wouldn't let anyone else use the computer for fear that the rest of the pages would end up marked read as well. My husband and children thank you!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Understanding new format,help?

Forgive me if this is not the place to ask these kinds of questions but this is my first try at a class since the change in October and I am still having trouble with the setup. With the old format, you had threads, which i do see here, but you also had a place to check so that all the messages you have already read would not show up and only new ones would, and you could switch back,if for example you needed to see if you missed something in a lesson message. I have seen at the top board preferances, but i cant seem to get this format to clear the read messages only. So what I have been doing is starting with linear, to see if there are any new messages, if so,switching to thread and then running through those to look at newest dates. I must be missing something. I am just trying to figure out how to keep the topic headings and see new messages, not go thru all the ones i have already read to find them, and the marked ALL as read option, doesnt do that. Any help from those of you who have taken courses since the change would be appreciated. TYIA. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?

There isn't a message read/unread facility here Vivico but we have been pressing for it. If you set your Preferences in either Linear (which I prefer) or Threaded to have messages reading 'Newest to Oldest' you will find that the newest messages are at the beginning when you log in and you can then just scroll back a bit to where you left off. I also take advantage of the email facility and have set my Preferences so that I am emailed (at home) when someone posts to a thread I am interested in. When I then click on 'View message' in the email it takes me straight to the relevant post. I hope this makes sense and good luck!:smileyhappy:

vivico1 wrote:
Forgive me if this is not the place to ask these kinds of questions but this is my first try at a class since the change in October and I am still having trouble with the setup. With the old format, you had threads, which i do see here, but you also had a place to check so that all the messages you have already read would not show up and only new ones would, and you could switch back,if for example you needed to see if you missed something in a lesson message. I have seen at the top board preferances, but i cant seem to get this format to clear the read messages only. So what I have been doing is starting with linear, to see if there are any new messages, if so,switching to thread and then running through those to look at newest dates. I must be missing something. I am just trying to figure out how to keep the topic headings and see new messages, not go thru all the ones i have already read to find them, and the marked ALL as read option, doesnt do that. Any help from those of you who have taken courses since the change would be appreciated. TYIA. :smileyhappy: