Reply
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
Posts: 578
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?

Choisya,
Congratulations on reaching 1000 posts! I think you are the first.

Denise
Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?



vivico1 wrote:
I am just trying to figure out how to keep the topic headings and see new messages, not go thru all the ones i have already read to find them, and the marked ALL as read option, doesnt do that. Any help from those of you who have taken courses since the change would be appreciated. TYIA. :smileyhappy:



Thanks for the note. This is all pretty much a matter of personal choice, but we've been recommending the default settings, which are Linear Format, with your Preferences set to "sort messages by latest post date in each thread" and to "skip previously read messages." If you look at the boards this way, you'll find that the message board home pages reorganize the threads so that the newest activity is at the top -- and you'll jump to the first unread message when you click on the thread's title. Hope this helps.
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
Posts: 301
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?


Kevin wrote:
Thanks for the note. This is all pretty much a matter of personal choice, but we've been recommending the default settings, which are Linear Format, with your Preferences set to "sort messages by latest post date in each thread" and to "skip previously read messages." If you look at the boards this way, you'll find that the message board home pages reorganize the threads so that the newest activity is at the top -- and you'll jump to the first unread message when you click on the thread's title. Hope this helps.

Italics mine.

Kevin, true on the first part, the newest activity floats to the top but when I click on the threads title, I do not jump to the first unread message. It is simply at the top of the list and I have to scroll down to get to the first unread, when there is more than one unread message.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?



caroline88 wrote:

Kevin wrote:
Thanks for the note. This is all pretty much a matter of personal choice, but we've been recommending the default settings, which are Linear Format, with your Preferences set to "sort messages by latest post date in each thread" and to "skip previously read messages." If you look at the boards this way, you'll find that the message board home pages reorganize the threads so that the newest activity is at the top -- and you'll jump to the first unread message when you click on the thread's title. Hope this helps.

Italics mine.

Kevin, true on the first part, the newest activity floats to the top but when I click on the threads title, I do not jump to the first unread message. It is simply at the top of the list and I have to scroll down to get to the first unread, when there is more than one unread message.

Caroline



Caroline,
If you have already "read" all the messages in the thread, then clicking on the thread's title will take you to the top of the thread. Remember that the system thinks you've read a message if it's appeared in your browser, whether you've actually read the words or not. ...

(I'm assuming by your answer that you have "skip previously read messages" checked in your Profile. If it's not, try checking it to correct the problem.)

An easy way to get to the last message in a thread is to click on the date in the far right column of the message listing (in the column that says Latest Post). Be sure to click on the date. If you click on the poster's name, you'll go to their Public Profile instead.
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
Posts: 301
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?

That is not what I meant. There can be, for instance, 4 unread messages. Too big to be on one screen. It will always go to the top of the screen *the newest message* but what I want and what your explanation claims to do, is to go to the oldest message that I had not read yet - pick up where I left off.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
ScubaDude33
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?

Kevin what Caroline is saying is the same thing that drives me nuts. Using this the new messages are first but theyre in reverse chronological order. That means if there are 20 messages you have to go down and find the first one, and read your way up. Not the worst thing in the world, but not the most user friendly either.



Kevin wrote:


caroline88 wrote:

Kevin wrote:
Thanks for the note. This is all pretty much a matter of personal choice, but we've been recommending the default settings, which are Linear Format, with your Preferences set to "sort messages by latest post date in each thread" and to "skip previously read messages." If you look at the boards this way, you'll find that the message board home pages reorganize the threads so that the newest activity is at the top -- and you'll jump to the first unread message when you click on the thread's title. Hope this helps.

Italics mine.

Kevin, true on the first part, the newest activity floats to the top but when I click on the threads title, I do not jump to the first unread message. It is simply at the top of the list and I have to scroll down to get to the first unread, when there is more than one unread message.

Caroline



Caroline,
If you have already "read" all the messages in the thread, then clicking on the thread's title will take you to the top of the thread. Remember that the system thinks you've read a message if it's appeared in your browser, whether you've actually read the words or not. ...

(I'm assuming by your answer that you have "skip previously read messages" checked in your Profile. If it's not, try checking it to correct the problem.)

An easy way to get to the last message in a thread is to click on the date in the far right column of the message listing (in the column that says Latest Post). Be sure to click on the date. If you click on the poster's name, you'll go to their Public Profile instead.


Frequent Contributor
caroline88
Posts: 301
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?


ScubaDude33 wrote:
Kevin what Caroline is saying is the same thing that drives me nuts. Using this the new messages are first but theyre in reverse chronological order. That means if there are 20 messages you have to go down and find the first one, and read your way up. Not the worst thing in the world, but not the most user friendly either.
That is exactly what I mean, thanks for adding your explanation. What makes it especially frustrating, is that the system KNOWS exactly where we left off reading. Because it shows the number of unread messages for each thread.

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?



caroline88 wrote:

ScubaDude33 wrote:
Kevin what Caroline is saying is the same thing that drives me nuts. Using this the new messages are first but theyre in reverse chronological order. That means if there are 20 messages you have to go down and find the first one, and read your way up. Not the worst thing in the world, but not the most user friendly either.
That is exactly what I mean, thanks for adding your explanation. What makes it especially frustrating, is that the system KNOWS exactly where we left off reading. Because it shows the number of unread messages for each thread.

Caroline




Changing that would be a great help to me, too.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?

If you set your preferences as follows:

Display Setting - Board Format: Linear Format

Linear Format Settings - Message Sorting in Linear Format: Oldest to Newest / Date Ascending

Linear Format Settings - Skip Previously Read Messages: check this box


Then when you click on a thread it the messages will be in the order they were posted, but you will be taken to the first unread message, so you can start there and read down in the normal order of reading.
_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?

Thanks! I think it worked!



Everyman wrote:
If you set your preferences as follows:

Display Setting - Board Format: Linear Format

Linear Format Settings - Message Sorting in Linear Format: Oldest to Newest / Date Ascending

Linear Format Settings - Skip Previously Read Messages: check this box


Then when you click on a thread it the messages will be in the order they were posted, but you will be taken to the first unread message, so you can start there and read down in the normal order of reading.


"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?



Laurel wrote:
Thanks! I think it worked!



Glad it worked out (thanks for the assist, Everyman).

Yes, we think things are easist to navigate with the following settings:
1) Linear Format
2) Oldest to Newest
3) Skip Previously Read Messages
4) Sort Messages by Latest Post Date in Each Thread

Those are our default settings, which have evolved over time. If you've changed your settings, then things will work differently. But you can always change them back.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?

Oh, yes, I forgot to put that last one into my post -- it's also important. Thanks for including it, Kevin.


Kevin wrote:


Laurel wrote:
Thanks! I think it worked!



Glad it worked out (thanks for the assist, Everyman).

Yes, we think things are easist to navigate with the following settings:
1) Linear Format
2) Oldest to Newest
3) Skip Previously Read Messages
4) Sort Messages by Latest Post Date in Each Thread

Those are our default settings, which have evolved over time. If you've changed your settings, then things will work differently. But you can always change them back.


_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

xoxo

[ Edited ]
oh..get my glorious old browser Caro, and you won't see anything of that---heheh
number of messages ? never heard of that...
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-07-200701:46 AM

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

scuba oxygen

Hi scuba dude, whatya readin' other than these posts?

ziki wondering bookishly
Frequent Contributor
ScubaDude33
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: scuba oxygen

Hey Ziki...... I was reading Frankenstein since it's a favorite of mine since I was a kid, and now I'm moving on to Harry Potter since it's something that my daughter and I can connect with together which we dont really do nearly as much as we should! What are you reading?

-J
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

2 scuba dee

Dude, I am trying to swim with Moby Dick right now, then later I relax with a cookbook and I plan to dive into a historical mystery they say is an easy read.I get hooked into books here althought I have about a wall unread by now at home :-)

That is a nice thing to 'Pottter' with your daughter. Do you find time to read to her? Kids like that.

ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?

I find the changing to Linear format in the Profile Preferences, with Newest to Oldest messages checked, is the best one Vivico. This way the most recent messages are the ones you first log into and you can scroll back to earlier ones if you wish.
This is my 'recipe', in case it helps:-

1) Sign in (nothing works until you do!)
2) Go to Profile
3) Go to Preferences
4) Go to Display Settings
5) Tick Linear format
6) Go to Linear Format Settings
7) Tick Newest to Oldest/Date descending
8) Do NOT tick 'Automatically jump to first unread message in a thread'.
9) Save changes

It also helps the smooth running of things if you Quote the post to which you are replying in the Message Body of your post and if you can edit some of it out for brevity. I find the 'Email me if someone replies to this thread' useful too and have set that up permanently in my Preferences.




vivico1 wrote:
Forgive me if this is not the place to ask these kinds of questions but this is my first try at a class since the change in October and I am still having trouble with the setup. With the old format, you had threads, which i do see here, but you also had a place to check so that all the messages you have already read would not show up and only new ones would, and you could switch back,if for example you needed to see if you missed something in a lesson message. I have seen at the top board preferances, but i cant seem to get this format to clear the read messages only. So what I have been doing is starting with linear, to see if there are any new messages, if so,switching to thread and then running through those to look at newest dates. I must be missing something. I am just trying to figure out how to keep the topic headings and see new messages, not go thru all the ones i have already read to find them, and the marked ALL as read option, doesnt do that. Any help from those of you who have taken courses since the change would be appreciated. TYIA. :smileyhappy:


Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Understanding new format,help?

No kudos due whatsoever Denise - I just happen to have the time and the inclination in these dark winter months. I don't follow these 'scoreboards' so didn't know and I wish they weren't there:smileysad:




donyskiw wrote:
Choisya,
Congratulations on reaching 1000 posts! I think you are the first.

Denise


Frequent Contributor
BillP
Posts: 405
Registered: ‎09-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Messages marked as "read"

Just bumping this thread up after the Help & Important Information clean-up.

-BillP