Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback


fordmg wrote:

Kevin,

I have a lot of trouble finding the sign-in with this new format. I click around until it says sign in to enter. I think the sign in should be on the first "Book Clubs" page like before. Can you modify?

MG


I believe it is but I've only signed in a few times but I'm not sure if that is supposed to be the "front door" because getting on is very round-about.

 

From the "Browse All Boards" page I click the "sign on" and sign on with my email address and pass word (for my B&N account).

 

It always comes up with another sign-on (I think for my account) with my email plugged in but I have to reinput my password again. At first I thought I had just put in password wrong but this seems to happen every time.

 

Then I come into my "Account Page" where I really don't want to be since I really just wanted to read and see if there were any new postings I was interested in.

 

So my only reasonable choice is to click the "Book Clubs"  tab at the top that takes me to the front book club page. Also not where I want to be.

 

Then I have to select "All Discussions" to get to the page where I want to be. So far a lot clicks and pages.

 

OK I'm there. But I'm not signed on -- well not finally. The page is the same as when I'm not signed-in

 

So I click "sign on" again since I am back where I started six steps ago and then the "Browse all Books" page comes for me the way it should be. Now I am ready to read any new messages.

Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

My B&N Favorite Book Clubs

Here's another little tic - I can't add anymore bookclubs to my favorites list because the dropdown box is gone (I realized I forgot one).  Is there a limit to our number of favorites?
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Sarah3973
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎09-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

[ Edited ]

pedsphleb wrote:

To elaborate, of the recommended items 4 are SparkNotes literature guides, on is a CliffsNotes, and one is a Babar picture book.

 

Are the developers looking at a way to modify the recommended products by putting in a "Don't want that" optionI think it would help tailor products to the user better - the only reason I got Babar is because one of my favorite books is Winnie-the-Pooh but I don't have children so the recommendation isn't suitable for me.


pedsphleb wrote:

So My B&N is pretty fun (some of the "recommendations" are a little strange).

 


 

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 10-08-2008 12:09 PM

I noticed that about the recommendations as wellMost of mine were for Spark Notes or something like thatI agree, there should be some sort of "not interested" button or link we could hit to get rid of recommendations we don't likeI also agree that while I really like the new avatars, they should definitely be bigger on our messagesThey are sort of hard to see and not nearly as cool as their bigger versionsI have also noticed that things seem to be running a bit slower and I'm not crazy about having to log in every so oftenIf I'm actively using the site, I don't see why I should have to keep signing in.

 

Other than that, I love itThe library and favorites sections are really coolThanks for the hard work B&N crew!!!

Message Edited by Sarah3973 on 10-08-2008 06:05 PM
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

Nadine, I have to laugh...not because it's funny, but because I've been going through those same steps to finally get BACK to were I started, and wanted to be in the beginning.  I have a keyboard that I programmed to go directly to my bookclubs page to sign in (one step).  I don't want/need to see the B&N front page, or the book clubs front page, I want to see my personal selections and friends list page, and the rest of the bookclubs responses.  I hope these are the "glitches" that Kevin has mentioned, that the developers are working on.  And I think there are enough graphics on these pages to float a battle ship.  It just slows down the navigation from page to page, or the use of these text message boxes. 

 

Also, as Melissa mentions, the timing out it a pain.  In the text messages (posting or PM's) it doesn't always give you enough time to edit your message, especially if you take the time to look up (Google) added text, or adding URL's. 

I'm patiently waiting for these to clear up, soon, I hope.

 

Kathy S.

Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

Nadine, on my work computer I have to go through the same steps but not at home. At home I don't have to log on as I check the box to " remember me " on this computer. I used to do that at work and it was fine. Now I have to keep going through the log in process which is too many steps. Perhaps I should be working more at work,lol. I hope this is just a glitch that will be worked out.

Nadine wrote:

fordmg wrote:

Kevin,

I have a lot of trouble finding the sign-in with this new format. I click around until it says sign in to enter. I think the sign in should be on the first "Book Clubs" page like before. Can you modify?

MG


I believe it is but I've only signed in a few times but I'm not sure if that is supposed to be the "front door" because getting on is very round-about.

 

From the "Browse All Boards" page I click the "sign on" and sign on with my email address and pass word (for my B&N account).

 

It always comes up with another sign-on (I think for my account) with my email plugged in but I have to reinput my password again. At first I thought I had just put in password wrong but this seems to happen every time.

 

Then I come into my "Account Page" where I really don't want to be since I really just wanted to read and see if there were any new postings I was interested in.

 

So my only reasonable choice is to click the "Book Clubs"  tab at the top that takes me to the front book club page. Also not where I want to be.

 

Then I have to select "All Discussions" to get to the page where I want to be. So far a lot clicks and pages.

 

OK I'm there. But I'm not signed on -- well not finally. The page is the same as when I'm not signed-in

 

So I click "sign on" again since I am back where I started six steps ago and then the "Browse all Books" page comes for me the way it should be. Now I am ready to read any new messages.


 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N Favorite Book Clubs

[ Edited ]
After  5 picks, my drop down box went away. It didn't come back until I deleted one of the picks.

pedsphleb wrote:
Here's another little tic - I can't add anymore bookclubs to my favorites list because the dropdown box is gone (I realized I forgot one).  Is there a limit to our number of favorites?

 

Message Edited by debbook on 10-08-2008 08:59 PM
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback


pedsphleb wrote:

So My B&N is pretty fun (some of the "recommendations" are a little strange).

 

I assume that when My B&N opens to the general public that we can add BN Studio and BN Review content?  Right now there's no "add to favorites" link.

 

I had trouble getting music from my library added to my favorites.  The "add to favorites" in the pop-up worked for books and DVDs but for music I had to go into the list and edit the list to add favorite music.

 

There's a wierd thing with the account time-out.  I was creating an EssentiaList and after I had added most of the content the site asked me to log-in again (there was a pop-up that appeared).  I entered my email and password as asked then I was taken out of the EssentiaList page I was working on to a page that told me my session had timed-out.  I was asked to sign-on again - which logged me into my BN account.  When I finally navigated back to my EssentiaList I was working on it was empy and I had to start over.  I think this is something the developers need to look into because something similar happens when I log into the book clubs.


 

Three good points here.

 

1) B&N Review and B&N Studio links won't work until next week.

2) I believe we're working on some Add to Favorites issues, but I'll make sure this is one of them.

3) There is a lot of working taking place right now on the Sign In. We're told it should all get straightened out early next week. We'll post this information elsewhere, so that all can see it.

 

Also ... We do seem to have a timing out issue. My advice is to click the "Remember Me" box when you sign in. You can always sign out when you need to.

 

Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback


fordmg wrote:

Kevin,

I have a lot of trouble finding the sign-in with this new format.  I click around until it says sign in to enter.  I think the sign in should be on the first "Book Clubs"  page like before. Can you modify?

MG


Thanks, MG.

 

You're right.

 

As I mentioned elsewhere, there is a lot of work taking place on the Sign In process right now.  It seems to be especially troublesome in Firefox.

 

We're told to expect some fixes early next week.

 

We're working on the Book Clubs home page sign in as well.

  

Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback


Nadine wrote:

I believe it is but I've only signed in a few times but I'm not sure if that is supposed to be the "front door" because getting on is very round-about.

 

From the "Browse All Boards" page I click the "sign on" and sign on with my email address and pass word (for my B&N account).

 

It always comes up with another sign-on (I think for my account) with my email plugged in but I have to reinput my password again. At first I thought I had just put in password wrong but this seems to happen every time.

 

Then I come into my "Account Page" where I really don't want to be since I really just wanted to read and see if there were any new postings I was interested in.

 

So my only reasonable choice is to click the "Book Clubs"  tab at the top that takes me to the front book club page. Also not where I want to be.

 

Then I have to select "All Discussions" to get to the page where I want to be. So far a lot clicks and pages.

 

OK I'm there. But I'm not signed on -- well not finally. The page is the same as when I'm not signed-in

 

So I click "sign on" again since I am back where I started six steps ago and then the "Browse all Books" page comes for me the way it should be. Now I am ready to read any new messages.



Thanks for the detailed notes!

 

You're exactly right. There's a lot of work going on with the sign in process right now, and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops before you get there.

 

A fix is coming, early next week.

 

Thanks for dealing with it until then. 

Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N Favorite Book Clubs


pedsphleb wrote:
Here's another little tic - I can't add anymore bookclubs to my favorites list because the dropdown box is gone (I realized I forgot one).  Is there a limit to our number of favorites?

Yes, there's a limit of 5. (But I'm glad to know you have so many favorites!)

  

Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

"Remember me" works for the book clubs but what seems to be timing out is the actual BN account, something that would happen normally if one were shopping,etc. on the site.  I don't think there's a remember me option for the shopping account because it can tie in with member card personal information and stored payment information.


Kevin wrote:

 

Also ... We do seem to have a timing out issue. My advice is to click the "Remember Me" box when you sign in. You can always sign out when you need to.

 


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N Favorite Book Clubs

*sigh* I need a "pouty face" smilie.:smileywink:


Kevin wrote:


pedsphleb wrote:
Here's another little tic - I can't add anymore bookclubs to my favorites list because the dropdown box is gone (I realized I forgot one).  Is there a limit to our number of favorites?

Yes, there's a limit of 5. (But I'm glad to know you have so many favorites!)

  


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback


pedsphleb wrote:

"Remember me" works for the book clubs but what seems to be timing out is the actual BN account, something that would happen normally if one were shopping,etc. on the site.  I don't think there's a remember me option for the shopping account because it can tie in with member card personal information and stored payment information.


Kevin wrote:

 

Also ... We do seem to have a timing out issue. My advice is to click the "Remember Me" box when you sign in. You can always sign out when you need to.

 


 


"Remember Me" affects your access to the Book Clubs and your ability to update My B&N (including such things as customer reviews, EssentiaLists and your Library). It does not keep your "account" session open any longer than normal. There's extra security around your account, which is unaffected by the Remember Me setting.

 

 

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

[ Edited ]
I thought I would avoid all of this by just checking the boards without signing in. They are not super active right now. But it won't let me alone. If I go to a board and read a thread, I naturally want to return to the threads to read another message. Well when I try do that I get a sign-in box and everything else is faded out so I can't go anywhere. If I sign-in at that point I have to go through all the loops below.
But I'm not going to be outfoxed by a machine! I figured I would use my browser back arrow. That works but does not get me back to the thread listing if I didn't come in that way. Worse if I clicked through several pages to get to the last posting or came directly off the main board listing. That is where I end up. I only want to go back to the main message listing for that board and read other threads. :smileymad:
I have tried all sorts of combinations trying to outsmart the machine but I'm only measly human. :smileysad:
As a minor irritant (but I have learned to live with it) if I use a smiley face and then preview the post, something that is always wise to do, I get a message in a pink box instead telling me I did something stupid. I only have to hit "preview post" again and all is forgiven. No big problem. I understand that the machine likes to feel superior and keep us humans in our place.

Kevin wrote:

Nadine wrote:

I believe it is but I've only signed in a few times but I'm not sure if that is supposed to be the "front door" because getting on is very round-about.

 

From the "Browse All Boards" page I click the "sign on" and sign on with my email address and pass word (for my B&N account).

 

It always comes up with another sign-on (I think for my account) with my email plugged in but I have to reinput my password again. At first I thought I had just put in password wrong but this seems to happen every time.

 

Then I come into my "Account Page" where I really don't want to be since I really just wanted to read and see if there were any new postings I was interested in.

 

So my only reasonable choice is to click the "Book Clubs" tab at the top that takes me to the front book club page. Also not where I want to be.

 

Then I have to select "All Discussions" to get to the page where I want to be. So far a lot clicks and pages.

 

OK I'm there. But I'm not signed on -- well not finally. The page is the same as when I'm not signed-in

 

So I click "sign on" again since I am back where I started six steps ago and then the "Browse all Books" page comes for me the way it should be. Now I am ready to read any new messages.



Thanks for the detailed notes!

 

You're exactly right. There's a lot of work going on with the sign in process right now, and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops before you get there.

 

A fix is coming, early next week.

 

Thanks for dealing with it until then.


 

Message Edited by Nadine on 10-09-2008 06:28 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

Kevin wrote: 

3) There is a lot of working taking place right now on the Sign In. We're told it should all get straightened out early next week. We'll post this information elsewhere, so that all can see it.

 

I hope it will allow automatic sign-in.  Under the old BookClub system, Firefox's password system recognized the request for sign-in and automatically filled in my user name and password.  But it doesn't recognize B&N's site sign-in, so I have to enter my email address and password by hand every time.  I don't know what it takes to be recognized by Firefox's password system as a sign-in screen, but I hope your developers can figure that out! It is SO much more convenient not to have to type all that in every time. 

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Frequent Contributor
judycarr
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎12-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

I have got to be honest.....I really dislike the whole new  my B and N thing.  I am a 58 year old who works two jobs (one as a B and N bookseller) and I just want to come on and talk about books. I want to find my discussion quickly, get there and start posting.  I find the whole new procedure and the conglammeration (sp) of boards confusing.  If I wanted everyone to know all about me I would open a Facebook account. I think the site has gotten complicated with all the boards beyond the bookclubs.....I just think the whole thing has gotten very messy.  I will not visiting the site beyond using just the book club discussions because I get out there and I can never find my way back.  Stick to books B and N.....do what you do best. 

I often recommened this site to customers......I will do that less often now because I do not genuinely enjoy it as it is now.

Frequent Contributor
krenea1
Posts: 356
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

I know I will eventually get used to it or get over it and deal but I do have to complain about the not so user friendly book club this has been. I feel like I have to go through several unnecessary screens in order to get to what I want. There is not easy sign in option unless I actually select a category to choose from. I even have to do this in order to get to my profile/dashboard area. If it is on the home page then it is not easy to find. I'm also having trouble navigating the new My B&N. I really like the idea of it but it's confusing.
Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back
Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback


Everyman wrote:
Kevin wrote: 

3) There is a lot of working taking place right now on the Sign In. We're told it should all get straightened out early next week. We'll post this information elsewhere, so that all can see it.

 

I hope it will allow automatic sign-in.  Under the old BookClub system, Firefox's password system recognized the request for sign-in and automatically filled in my user name and password.  But it doesn't recognize B&N's site sign-in, so I have to enter my email address and password by hand every time.  I don't know what it takes to be recognized by Firefox's password system as a sign-in screen, but I hope your developers can figure that out! It is SO much more convenient not to have to type all that in every time. 

 


 
Clicking "Remember Me" when you sign in should to the trick. That'll give you longer access to My B&N and the Book Clubs, but won't affect your Account information. 

 

Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback


krenea1 wrote:
I know I will eventually get used to it or get over it and deal but I do have to complain about the not so user friendly book club this has been. I feel like I have to go through several unnecessary screens in order to get to what I want. There is not easy sign in option unless I actually select a category to choose from. I even have to do this in order to get to my profile/dashboard area. If it is on the home page then it is not easy to find. I'm also having trouble navigating the new My B&N. I really like the idea of it but it's confusing.
 
Thanks for the feedback, Karen.
We're still in the early stages of the deployment (and we're all being bothered by the extra sign-in screens!). Much of this will get smoothed out next week. Remember, we're in a "sneak peek" period -- it's not all plugged in yet. 

 

Frequent Contributor
krenea1
Posts: 356
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback


Kevin wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Karen.
We're still in the early stages of the deployment (and we're all being bothered by the extra sign-in screens!). Much of this will get smoothed out next week. Remember, we're in a "sneak peek" period -- it's not all plugged in yet. 

 


Okay, well then that makes more sense. Thanks!!

Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back