Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

BentBindings wrote:

This may not be the right place to post this question, but I can't seem to find a better one. I'm involved in the First Look Book Club for the Believers by Zoe Heller. I have a web site for book reviews, too, and just want to confirm that it's okay to post a review of the book on that site when I've completed reading it.

Michael,

It's perfectly acceptable -- encouraged, even! -- to write a review of the book here at bn.com, and elsewhere. We also think it's fine (hint) to let people know that you're reading it as part of the First Look Book Club here.

Hope you're enjoying the discussion ... Make sure you join the conversation, and let people know what you're thinking!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

The cookies issue is happening again.
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
The cookies issue is happening again.

Hi TiggerBear,

Would you mind elaborating a bit on the issue you are having?  Are you having difficulties signing in?

Jon

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ok thought I explained it before, but I don't mind.

I go to the sign in, hit the sign in button. Up pops please engage your cookies. Click sign in again. Sign in. No actually sign in, but another Please if your're going to shop enable cookies. Which I'm sorry; but my bank doesn't need cookies, nor does any other shoping, or credit site. So why the **** does B&N need them. But I digress. Click sign in again. Sign in again. And it signs me in but then I click book clubs, and yet again I am required to sign in yet once more.

This went away for a couple of weeks and now it's happening again. More than a little anoying really.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

I go to the sign in, hit the sign in button. Up pops please engage your cookies. Click sign in again. Sign in. No actually sign in, but another Please if your're going to shop enable cookies. Which I'm sorry; but my bank doesn't need cookies, nor does any other shoping, or credit site. So why the **** does B&N need them. But I digress. Click sign in again. Sign in again. And it signs me in but then I click book clubs, and yet again I am required to sign in yet once more.

This went away for a couple of weeks and now it's happening again. More than a little anoying really.

Ok, it looks like there are two different things going on here.

One, unless you have cookies enabled on your browser (or - if you really dont want to have cookies enabled for some reason - make an exception in your browser's settings for our site) you'll be prompted to activate cookies every time you sign in.  I'm sorry that that is inconvenient,  but you can easily get around being asked every time by changing the settings in your browser to automatically accept cookies from Barnes&Noble.com

Two, I think you might be signing in to the wrong place - the easiest way to sign in to the Book Clubs specifically is not through the sign in link up at the top of the B&N.com page.  Instead simply go to http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/ and click "Sign In" on the line directly below the image of the bookshelf with the words "book clubs" written on it in white text.  This link should bring up a sign in pop up that will sign you directly into the Book Clubs without first having to sign in elsewhere on the site.

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Ok, it looks like there are two different things going on here.

One, unless you have cookies enabled on your browser (or - if you really dont want to have cookies enabled for some reason - make an exception in your browser's settings for our site) you'll be prompted to activate cookies every time you sign in.  I'm sorry that that is inconvenient,  but you can easily get around being asked every time by changing the settings in your browser to automatically accept cookies from Barnes&Noble.com

Two, I think you might be signing in to the wrong place - the easiest way to sign in to the Book Clubs specifically is not through the sign in link up at the top of the B&N.com page.  Instead simply go to http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/ and click "Sign In" on the line directly below the image of the bookshelf with the words "book clubs" written on it in white text.  This link should bring up a sign in pop up that will sign you directly into the Book Clubs without first having to sign in elsewhere on the site.

Ok Two might help. I'll take a look.

But For One, what I always have set up is each site has permission to use cookies for the limit of time I am on that site. When I leave cookies erase. So this shouldn't be a problem, unless B&N is insisting on permanent cookies.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

Kevin wrote:

Kevin wrote:

Patty_Champion wrote:

I've got an annoyance also. I use the wishlist function a lot... now I can't print it out. I've got a wishlist of 17 items and when I print it, I only get one page with 3 items on it.

Patty,

Thanks for raising this issue. ...It looks like a fix was put in place today. The developers are working on it.

Message Edited by Kevin on 10-23-2008 05:45 PM

Patty,

It looks like the print link is now fixed. If you're on a Wish List page and need to print it, be sure to click on the green print link in the top right corner of the page.

B&N Bookseller
Virginia_H
0 Kudos

EssentiaLists

You should be able to click on a book in your library and add it to any of your EssentiaLists, instead of having to search again through all the books you've read.  I think.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: EssentiaLists

virginiaanne wrote:

You should be able to click on a book in your library and add it to any of your EssentiaLists, instead of having to search again through all the books you've read.  I think.

You're right, virginiaanne.

Current state, you can mouse over a book in your Library and start a new EssentiaList with that item, but you can't add it to an existing list.

We'll look into it.

In the meantime, here's a little shortcut that will stop you from having to search again. ... From your Library, click on the cover of the book to go to the book's product page. When you're there, click the Add to List menu that lives right under the Add to Cart button. ... All of your EssentiaLists should be listed there. Select the list you want to add it to, and you should be OK.

Hope this helps!

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

Re: EssentiaLists

You can also add product to an EssentaiList by clicking into the list, selecting the edit feature, and then adding product.  That's how I do it :smileyhappy:

Kevin wrote:

virginiaanne wrote:

You're right, virginiaanne.

Current state, you can mouse over a book in your Library and start a new EssentiaList with that item, but you can't add it to an existing list.

We'll look into it.

In the meantime, here's a little shortcut that will stop you from having to search again. ... From your Library, click on the cover of the book to go to the book's product page. When you're there, click the Add to List menu that lives right under the Add to Cart button. ... All of your EssentiaLists should be listed there. Select the list you want to add it to, and you should be OK.

Hope this helps!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
patfayo
0 Kudos

Hi....my name is Pat and I am relieved to hear that I am not as computer illiterate that I thought I was.  I have been navigating around to try to find out how to post a review.  Since you seems to be having trouble also, maybe you can help me.  How do I post a review w/out replying to someone else's post? I have not trouble logging in but get lost after that. 

Thanks...hoep you can help me.

Frequent Contributor
patfayo
0 Kudos

I too have to voice my opinion about postinr reviews for the first look book clubs.  Once yu sign and request the book, you get a response from Maria telling you when to expect the book etc.  From there on it is the most confusing site I have ever been on.  As another poster stated, I work two jobs also and I just want to read to relax, post my thoughts, and get other's insights on the book also. The site is way too complicated !!!  Why can't there just be a site to post, once you post, someone can respond to you if they like and a separate place to read all reviews?  I really do not have to time to read every body's reveiews on a daily basis.  Either that , maybe somewhere on the site, it can posted as to how to create you r own message etc.?  Maybe I am just not able to find it?  PLEASE HELP ME TO NAVIGATE THROUGH THE SITE BETTER.........
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

patfayo wrote:

Hi....my name is Pat and I am relieved to hear that I am not as computer illiterate that I thought I was.  I have been navigating around to try to find out how to post a review.  Since you seems to be having trouble also, maybe you can help me.  How do I post a review w/out replying to someone else's post? I have not trouble logging in but get lost after that. 

Thanks...hoep you can help me.

Hi Pat,
If you'd like to review books you can do it right on the product page for the book itself.  
For example, if you want to write a review of The Physick Book of Deliverane Dane, go to this page:  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Physick-Book-of-Deliverance-Dane/Katherine-Howe/e/9781401340902...
Look at the bottom half of the page - on the right side you should see a blue box with a video in it.  Just below that box is a button that says "write a review".  Simply click that button, give the book a one-to-five star rating, and write your review - that's all there is to it!

Frequent Contributor
kanellio65
0 Kudos

I need help and can not find out who to get it from so am hoping the administrator can help as I saw some discussion about my problem but it was from a while back. Since B&N changed to their new system, all my reviews before that time now read anonymous and do not have my name on them. This is a huge problem! I need to either pull my reviews or have them linked to me so I can have my REAL name on them. I am establishing as a writer and publishing on EzineArticles.com. They have accepted many of my reviews with great success. However, twice now they have seen as they do check for authenticity verbatim my review on B&N but since it says ANONYMOUS is the writer as they were submitted before the change over and are not contributed to me, they can't say they are mine. I have shown my same reviews posted elsewhere with my name on it but as long as B&N doesn't have my name, they have some copyright law or something legal I don't understand. They keep telling me to change my accounts and use my real name and I am trying but how can I do that? I know I can go to my profile and change, I THINK, my "pen name" to my real name, correct? Buy how do I get all my reviews I turned in under my pen name to now show as me and not anonymous. At the very least why aren't they with my pen name? WHAT CAN I DO? This is a mess? HELP someone!!!!
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Hi kanellio65, I'll contact you privately about this so you can tell me which reviews you are referring to.

Jon

Frequent Contributor
patfayo
0 Kudos

Hi Judy...I could not agree with you more.  This whole new site is sooo confusing ! Seems like you have to go through so many hoops just to post a message.  Are you reading "Of Birds and Mist"?  I just started it yesterday and I am having a hard time putting it down.  I know we are only supposed to read up to Chapter #9 for the first round of discussions but I am up to Chapter #13......very intriguing and keeps you glued.....

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

One suggestion:

I find I am getting tired of reading people's signatures again and again, thinking that they are part of the post.  Could you add a line above the signatures and change the font for the content so that it stands apart from the posts? Perhaps even change the color? Reading the signature once is enough for me.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

One suggestion:

I find I am getting tired of reading people's signatures again and again, thinking that they are part of the post.  Could you add a line above the signatures and change the font for the content so that it stands apart from the posts? Perhaps even change the color? Reading the signature once is enough for me.

I agree that it can be quite confusing - it's almost as though they suddenly change to a totally different topic mid-post!  Personally, I don't know how to change fonts or colors, but a line above the signature is a good idea; too bad the system doesn't automatically do that, like some other message boards do.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
grame
0 Kudos

Hi, I have written many times about the same problem, but then I can't find where I posted it, so I can't get an answer.

Here is my problem.  When I want to charge or download from my computer, the Nook says to delete or eject the nook drive.  Problem, can't find the nook drive.  I have looked in my documents, my computer, no nook drive.

Also when and if I get this thing working right can I download from an email?  I really would like to get the most out of my nook, but it is really hard when you can't access the features.

thanks for any help you can give.

Sheila

Reader
DComfort
0 Kudos

Quick question.  On my B&N Page I see the suggestions for books I may like to read in the future.  Now, while I love this feature and am always looking for more books, what I wanted to know was how can I remove one of the suggestions that I may not want up there and/or change the suggestions to only show ebooks, etc?