Reply
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

[ Edited ]

Hi Marie of Rumania!

 

Welcome to the Book Clubs.

 

There has been no decision to eliminate reader reviews nor are they being phased out.  As Melissa points out, they have been taken offline for the moment to make some updates to the site.    

 

Look for its return soon!  In fact, I will post an alert here when it is back online!

 

Maria

 


emmi331 wrote:
Hi, everyone!  This is my first time posting, and I may be in the wrong forum, so please be patient with me and point me to the right one if necessary.  I am extremely unhappy with one recent change on the B&N website - the decision to eliminate customer reviews.  I loved looking up books that interested me, reading what people thought (not just professional reviewers), and posting my own reviews.  They are evidently phasing this out, as only the two most recent reviews are posted, and there is NO option to post a review yourself.  There are other websites that encourage customer reviews, of course, but many of them have the "rate the reviewer" feature, which I dislike - how can you "rate" someone's opinion?  I appreciated B&N not using this element, but alas, it looks like it's all being scrapped, in any case.  I've already contacted Customer Service, and they replied that they will "forward the comments to the appropriate people, who will be interested"....Sure.  And I'm Marie of Rumania.  Is anyone else angry about this, or do y'all pretty much avoid customer reviews and just hang out here in the forums?:smileytongue:

 

 

Message Edited by Maria_H on 10-13-2008 03:30 PM


Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!


Contributor
emmi331
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎10-13-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

Wow!  Thanks Maria and "ped" -- (fanning self rapidly) and here I had thought one of my favorite pasttimes (reading/posting reviews here) had been snatched away from me!   It is great to learn this - guess I did come to the right place, after all....:smileywink:  Yours, Marie - er, Emmi
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
Posts: 140
Registered: ‎06-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

Someone posted a review on my book recently. So I guess the review feature must be up and running.:smileyvery-happy:
Alexey Braguine, author of Kingmaker
Reader 2
Kimfuji
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

Dear emmi331: I totally understand your anger. It is common what they are doing. Ebay is doing it and so are all the other "supposedly" consumer friendly forums. It is just their way of turning off the criticism. There is no way they want our true opinion because if they received it they would then be responsible for doing something about it. They only want money. Just remember that. Everything they do on here is just to promote their sales and nothing else. I also get angry but my husband reminds me that it is just another scam so why get angry.  I am a member of a bookclub on here but cannot post. There is no reason for it. I am registered and am a B&N member. And I even purchase books at B&N because, after they put all the local bookstores out of business, where else can I go ?

Try not to get too angry. I myself am an avid reader and I have been thinking alternatively. 1. Pay the higher prices at a local bookstore and/or 2. Use the public library and/or 3. Start a book exchange where people can sign up and exchange the books after they have read them. That would be a totally great thing because it would be helping people afford to read. However, from the propspective of B&N or Borders or Amazon it would be a totally radical act because then we wouldn't need them after all.

Kim

I'm a very intelligent person with a PhD and I am quite patient. However, I am giving up trying to post on this bookclub. I have asked for help numerous times in two days but nothing works. There is no reason why I should not be able to post except for a failure in the system which I will report.
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

[ Edited ]

Hi Kimfuji-

 

I'm a bit confused, you say you are unable to post, but you are posting right now in this thread!

 

We certainly are not trying to silence criticism, in fact we welcome it because we want to make the site run as well as possible. If you are having some kind of difficulty with the Book Clubs please describe exactly what is happening so that we can try to resolve it, but I'm honestly not sure what to think when you say you can't post but here you are posting..

 

Jon

 

Message Edited by Jon_B on 10-20-2008 04:58 PM
________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

As a very long time user of this site (on the bookclubs site from its beginning, and on the predecessor Barnes and Noble University site for many years) I have to agree with you, Jon, that I have found a very receptive view toward criticism.  Not that all the criticisms are adopted -- you chose not to bring back the BNU format despite many early criticisms of the change, but the criticisms weren't dismissed or treated lightly.  And most concerns about the site are dealt with appropriately and evenhandedly (even if the sign-in process still isn't fixed! :smileyhappy: )

 


Jon_B wrote:

Hi Kimfuji-

 

I'm a bit confused, you say you are unable to post, but you are posting right now in this thread!

 

We certainly are not trying to silence criticism, in fact we welcome it because we want to make the site run as well as possible. If you are having some kind of difficulty with the Book Clubs please describe exactly what is happening so that we can try to resolve it, but I'm honestly not sure what to think when you say you can't post but here you are posting..

 

Jon

 

Message Edited by Jon_B on 10-20-2008 04:58 PM

 

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

Kim,

 

Sorry to hear about your frustrations. 

 

However, as we have informed you in private message, you are currently registered for First Look under a different pen name.  Please check your PM to find out which one.  That pen name is the one that has posting privileges to your selected First Look. 

 

Hope that helps and we hope you enjoyed the free book and the forthcoming discussion!

 


Kimfuji wrote:

Dear emmi331: I totally understand your anger. It is common what they are doing. Ebay is doing it and so are all the other "supposedly" consumer friendly forums. It is just their way of turning off the criticism. There is no way they want our true opinion because if they received it they would then be responsible for doing something about it. They only want money. Just remember that. Everything they do on here is just to promote their sales and nothing else. I also get angry but my husband reminds me that it is just another scam so why get angry.  I am a member of a bookclub on here but cannot post. There is no reason for it. I am registered and am a B&N member. And I even purchase books at B&N because, after they put all the local bookstores out of business, where else can I go ?

Try not to get too angry. I myself am an avid reader and I have been thinking alternatively. 1. Pay the higher prices at a local bookstore and/or 2. Use the public library and/or 3. Start a book exchange where people can sign up and exchange the books after they have read them. That would be a totally great thing because it would be helping people afford to read. However, from the propspective of B&N or Borders or Amazon it would be a totally radical act because then we wouldn't need them after all.

Kim


 

 



Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!


Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎03-10-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

I've got an annoyance also. I use the wishlist function a lot... now I can't print it out. I've got a wishlist of 17 items and when I print it, I only get one page with 3 items on it.

 

"New and improved" doesn't always mean better.

Patty
Reader 2
Kimfuji
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

Jon: Thank you for your response. I have been trying to get help for the last two days. I am registered and have been trying to use the First Look Club "The Belivers" site here at B & N. But everytime I attempt to post, I am unable to because I am blocked.  I have sent emails to the admisnistrators and moderators odf that particular area "The Belivers" however no one responds to me. Unfortunately, the book club will be over soon and I will not have had a chance to participate. I received the book just as the other members have before the Oct 20th date.

Can you please forward my message to an appropriate person ?

I am still open to having a positive impression from the B & N Bookclubs if someone were to help me and I could post just as everyone else is doing.

Thank you for your help, Jon

Kimberly Fujioka

I'm a very intelligent person with a PhD and I am quite patient. However, I am giving up trying to post on this bookclub. I have asked for help numerous times in two days but nothing works. There is no reason why I should not be able to post except for a failure in the system which I will report.
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

Hi Kimfuji,

 

Did you you see Maria's response to you a few posts up in this thread?  She has posted here and has also sent you a PM directly addressing your issues about the First Look club.

 

Jon

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website


Patty_Champion wrote:

I've got an annoyance also. I use the wishlist function a lot... now I can't print it out. I've got a wishlist of 17 items and when I print it, I only get one page with 3 items on it.

 


Patty ...

 

This sounds like a bug we haven't seen before. We're reporting it, and will get an update back to the Help board asap.

Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

[ Edited ]

Kevin wrote:

Patty_Champion wrote:

I've got an annoyance also. I use the wishlist function a lot... now I can't print it out. I've got a wishlist of 17 items and when I print it, I only get one page with 3 items on it.

 



Patty,

 

Thanks for raising this issue. ...It looks like a fix was put in place today. The developers are working on it.

 

Message Edited by Kevin on 10-23-2008 05:45 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyed with "New" Website

This is a question more than a problem. When are we going to be getting better or MORE icons? Those chessy head shots... well they suck. The blank one not so much, but still sucky. So since I'm not the only one interested  here's a heads up.
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

The evolution of the website in general over the last several months has been amazing.  This MyBN is a perfect fit and a great way to share product with others.  I still can't figure out how to "link up" with other people (i.e. create a "freinds list" of sorts).  I see the "Lists" feature being a great option for teachers to build for their students and that way it can be easily looked up in store. 

 

Great great job.

 

Brad

With purpose and on purpose
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

I still can't figure out how to "link up" with other people (i.e. create a "freinds list" of sorts).

 

You can identify other posters as friends, and they'll show up on your dashboard, but I don't think there is anything else you can do other than have them more convenient for sending PMs to, and I don't think they know whose lists they are friends on.  Maybe that will come as a later development. 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback


bwest2 wrote:

The evolution of the website in general over the last several months has been amazing.  This MyBN is a perfect fit and a great way to share product with others.  I still can't figure out how to "link up" with other people (i.e. create a "freinds list" of sorts).  I see the "Lists" feature being a great option for teachers to build for their students and that way it can be easily looked up in store. 

 

Great great job.

 

Brad


 

Thanks, Brad!

 

To add someone to your Favorites on My B&N, you need to go to their profile page and click the "Add to Favorites" link in the top right corner.

 

On the Book Clubs, you can easily jump over to another user's My B&N page by clicking the link in the box to the left of their messages -- or by clicking the link on their Book Clubs profile page.

 

Elsewhere on the site, you can click on the pen name next to a review or list to go to the profile page of the person who created it. If their profile is public, you'll be able to see it. If it's private, you'll get a message saying so.

 

Hope this helps! 

 

 

B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

Thanks Kevin . . . that worked.  I was looking for different wording I guess.  Awesome.
With purpose and on purpose
New User
LuluInNY
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-28-2008
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

So I was adding DVD's, and I noticed that it had stopped counting when it hit 91. Then I went back to the homepage, and there were only 60 titles there. Is there a limit? If there is, there really should be some sort of message when you hit the ceiling. I wasted a load of time since it let me keep adding without any sort of warning that it was all for naught...
Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback


LuluInNY wrote:
So I was adding DVD's, and I noticed that it had stopped counting when it hit 91. Then I went back to the homepage, and there were only 60 titles there. Is there a limit? If there is, there really should be some sort of message when you hit the ceiling. I wasted a load of time since it let me keep adding without any sort of warning that it was all for naught...

 

LuluInNY,

 

You're adding DVDs to your Favorites list, right? I think the limit's 100, but we'll confirm that for you on Thursday.

 

It's possible that you "timed out" of your account in the middle of your list. We always recommend you select the "Remember me" option when you sign in to create lists (and participate in the Book Clubs). That's your safest bet for staying logged in until you finish your task.

 

The other advice we give in situations like this is to save often. Lists can be especially tricky ... you actually have to hit the save button before you leave the page, or you risk losing your changes. It's happened to me a couple of times!

 

New User
BentBindings
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎10-22-2008
0 Kudos

Re: My B&N: General Feedback

[ Edited ]

This may not be the right place to post this question, but I can't seem to find a better one. I'm involved in the First Look Book Club for the Believers by Zoe Heller. I have a web site for book reviews, too, and just want to confirm that it's okay to post a review of the book on that site when I've completed reading it.

 

Please let me know.

 

Michael

 

 

Edited by admin to remove private information.

Message Edited by Kevin on 10-30-2008 10:09 PM
Michael
www.bentbindings.com