Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

New Feature for the Help Board: Q&A

[ Edited ]
Hello everyone, we are happy to introduce a new feature and a new format for this Help board that we think will make the process of getting assistance with the Book Clubs and My B&N a lot easier.

If you have an issue with the Book Clubs or My B&N that you need help with, here are the steps to follow to best ensure that both the Book Clubs staff and your fellow users can assist you.

1. Use our search feature to see if anyone has already brought up the issue that you need help with. If so, take a look at the threads where it’s been mentioned – someone might have already posted the answer you are looking for!

If no one has mentioned the issue that you’d like help with, go ahead and start a new thread right here in the Help board and explain the issue as thoroughly and clearly as possible.

3. When people post in you thread and try to help you out and provide answers to your question – whether they are Book Clubs staff or your fellow users – you’ll see a special button appear in each of their posts:

4. If someone posts a response that is the answer to your looking for and which resolves your issue, click on that button in their post. This will change the button in that post to show that it’s the correct answer:

Additionally, the first post in the thread – the one asking the question – will get a new button:

If someone clicks on that button, it’ll take them to the correct answer. This is to help out users who are in stage 1 of this process – it lets them know that someone has already posted the answer for the question they have, and they can jump right to it and clearly see what it is.

Because of this new feature, we’re making a slight change to the format of this board. Instead of asking your questions in the old “Technical Questions” thread, we ask that you post each new question about a new subject in its own thread. This will make it easier for other people with the same question to find it. We’ll be dismantling the old thread and separating some of the issues in it and making new threads out of them.

We hope this new feature makes the process of getting help easier and more clear for everyone. If you have any questions about this feature in particular, of course, please feel free to ask in this thread.
Message Edited by Jon_B on 02-19-2009 02:07 PM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: New Feature for the Help Board: Q&A

This seems a little confusing.  BTW, I can't see any of the images in your post; I only see those little boxes with a red X.

How does the system know in the first place that a new post is a question or not?  You just said that a question will have a special button in it, but you don't say how it gets there.  And, then, how does the system know whether a specific reply is an attempt to help or answer?  You said that the new button will appear specifically in replies that are attempts to help with the question.  If someone just posts a comment, or echoes the question, or something like that, how will the system distinguish and not put the button in that reply?

I don't get it.  And there was actually a new question posted after your post (about starting new book clubs), and there is no button in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom

Where To Find Friends List

With the new changes that came this morning where do we find our list of friends to know who is online and if we want to quickly send them a private message. And also the type is so small that it is hard for me to read it. I just don't like this new look because it causes a lot more eyestrain. Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel

Re: Where To Find Friends List

Nelsmom wrote:
With the new changes that came this morning where do we find our list of friends to know who is online and if we want to quickly send them a private message. And also the type is so small that it is hard for me to read it. I just don't like this new look because it causes a lot more eyestrain. Toni

I'm with you on this.  I know I'm a creature of habit and don't like change but this is not good.  First I couldn't sign in to my book club, then when I did, it was so hard to read I almost gave up.

The type is small, everything seems to run together and the coloring seems drab.

Is there someone we can email and give feedback or something?

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Where To Find Friends List

EbonyAngel wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

I'm with you on this.  I know I'm a creature of habit and don't like change but this is not good.  First I couldn't sign in to my book club, then when I did, it was so hard to read I almost gave up.

The type is small, everything seems to run together and the coloring seems drab.

Is there someone we can email and give feedback or something?

There is a thread in the Community Room about something like "Maintenance today" or something like that.  Several of us have already commented on today's changes there, so you could add on to that.  Seems that everybody is finding this more difficult to read, and that's not good!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
mnbc
0 Kudos

I am so frustrated with this newly revised site! I had registered, finally after many attempts to finding where to go, for the new book for October, but have no idea how to find out if I have been accepted. Cannot locate my emails, friends..........nothing!  I would greatly appreciate some help on this, not that I may ever know how to find an answer???? Just really want to know if I will be receiving the new book and how do I write reviews and comments?

Thank You

Book Lover
Peppermill
0 Kudos

mnbc wrote:

I am so frustrated with this newly revised site! I had registered, finally after many attempts to finding where to go, for the new book for October, but have no idea how to find out if I have been accepted. Cannot locate my emails, friends..........nothing!  I would greatly appreciate some help on this, not that I may ever know how to find an answer???? Just really want to know if I will be receiving the new book and how do I write reviews and comments?

Thank You

Mnbc -- if you mean the "First Look" book for October, look for the little envelope in your Login box. If it has a number by it, you can recognize that you have a message in your Inbox.  That is where you will be notified.  Click on the icon to check.

You do have to have messages allowed selected in your profile.  It's been awhile since I've done that, so if you need that and it isn't obvious, do post for help again.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Reader
ashley_meisel
0 Kudos

I am sorry but I didn't know where to find the search option. I am just a little confused with the way the book clubs work. Do you sign up to be a part of them? How do you know what to read or when to read it by? Then where do you to visit it?

Ashley

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

ashley_meisel wrote:

I am sorry but I didn't know where to find the search option. I am just a little confused with the way the book clubs work. Do you sign up to be a part of them? How do you know what to read or when to read it by? Then where do you to visit it?

Ashley

Right

1 Search - look up near the top of the page there's a empty space next to an oval labeled search. Directly under the words Blogs, Boards, B&N Recommends. Type in the blank, hit the search button.

2 You sign up for FIRST LOOK. The rest are just book groups, informal discussions. A few of the boards have monthly or weekly selections. Interested in the title selection, buy it and read it, and join in the conversation. Any board has a schedule listed if there's going to be an author joining or a serious sectional discussion. Check with that boards moderator if your confused what's the current selection. They'd be happy to point you they way.

So pick a board according to you tastes, read the current threads, and join in.

Inspired Contributor
fitbobcat
0 Kudos

Mobile app for nook
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx