New User
Clara_Smith
0 Kudos

No longer receiving weekly BN emails or coupons

For some reason, I am no longer receiving the weekly emails hi-lighting what is new at B&N.  This means I no longer get the occasional coupon offers either.

I've called customer support, but that hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences with the same problem?

Thanks!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Re: No longer receiving weekly BN emails or coupons

Step 1 — be sure the appliance is plugged in: check your Communication Preferences at https://cart2.barnesandnoble.com/account/op.asp?step=mainStage&UIAction=updateAccPreferences

Step 2: check your Spam e-mail box. Maybe your e-mail provider is filtering it out as being junk.

Step 3: see if your e-mail provider gives you the ability to "whitelist" e-mail from certain senders. If so, put BarnesandNobleEmail@e.bn.com on your whitelist. Try adding that e-mail address to your address book, too.

New User
taxman1986
0 Kudos

I have the same problem.  The emails are not in my spam folder.  I have been dropped from the weekly email and have signed up again and again, without receiving any new emails.

Contributor
julie0903
0 Kudos

I am not getting them either and am very disappointed.  I have contacted customer service, verified my email address and have added the email address to my "safe senders" and "mailing lists".  I miss getting the emails and coupons.  I am very frustrated!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

julie0903 wrote:

I am not getting them either and am very disappointed.  I have contacted customer service, verified my email address and have added the email address to my "safe senders" and "mailing lists".  I miss getting the emails and coupons.  I am very frustrated!

I had this happen for a while and it was my ISP blocking the emails.  I changed my email address to a gmail address and had no problem getting the emails, but if I changed it back to my normal email address, I stopped getting them.  Eventually it got straightened out with my ISP but it took a lot of effort on my part because my ISP kept insisting that they weren't blocking any emails.

If the are blocking them, then adding them to your safe senders list and mailing lists probably won't help, because they are being blocked before they get there.  Set up a free email account with Yahoo or gmail or something like that, change that to your email address and see if you start getting the emails again.  That will tell you if it is problem with B&N or a problem with your service provider.

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

@Doug_Pardee
Alas, I followed your advice to the letter and have had no luck in regaining the BN emails or coupons.

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
New User
154z000
0 Kudos

Please send e-mail,thanks

Reader
Phil
0 Kudos

The same here! I received them in year's past with no issues...but this past year when I renewed my membership, the troubles started.

B&N claimed the same nonsense about my account settings, e-mail and such...but nothing changed prior to my membership renewal. I too have worked with customer service, but to no avail.

I finally filed complaints with the BBB, Consumer Protection Agency, and the FTC due to what I consider their misleading business practices. We'll see what happens.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Phil wrote:

The same here! I received them in year's past with no issues...but this past year when I renewed my membership, the troubles started.

B&N claimed the same nonsense about my account settings, e-mail and such...but nothing changed prior to my membership renewal. I too have worked with customer service, but to no avail.

I finally filed complaints with the BBB, Consumer Protection Agency, and the FTC due to what I consider their misleading business practices. We'll see what happens.

I had this problem, not with B&N but with someone else.  The company said their system was still functioning, my ISP insisted they hadn't done anything.  I switched my email address to gmail and I started getting the emails again. I went back to my ISP and went up the chain until someone finally admitted, yes, they were blocking the emails from that source.  After several conversations, they removed the block and I started getting the emails again.  

So, it may be B&N, but my experience shows it can also be on my end.  

Contributor
doester
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was receiving BN emails until I renewed my membership in November 2011.  Now, I do not receive them and I own my email domain.  I called customer service and they were of no help at all.

I do receive BN emails when I make a purchase online.

New User
Ausgirl
0 Kudos

I have been in touch many times with Barness & Noble because I no longer receive the weekly BN emails or coupons.  I have followed their instructions on how to do it, but still nothing!  What else can we do?  Does BN read these emails?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

B&N uses too many email domain names to make keeping them on the whitelist filter an easy thing to do. I'm talking about MY domain filter, not my personal email filter. I have 5 BN email domains listed so far and apparantely the list needs to be added to: *@e.bn.com

Wouldn't have guess that one.

Contributor
s-cat
0 Kudos

Ausgirl wrote:

I have been in touch many times with Barness & Noble because I no longer receive the weekly BN emails or coupons.  I have followed their instructions on how to do it, but still nothing!  What else can we do?  Does BN read these emails?

In my case, it was my isp's secret filter that was to blame. Have you tried setting up a gmail account and connecting it to your account?  My ISP has a secret spam filter (as in they filter things out before it hits my mailbox and the spam filter I can access through the webmail); it catches many legitimate emails like from B&N. I switched it to a gmail address and I've had no problems since.  You can also try contacting your email provider to check. I was able to find out how to get my ISP to let through the Livejournal emails again that way.

New User
pennith
0 Kudos

Me too. I've tried many times
New User
pennith
0 Kudos

Would like to be on mailing list again. Very frustrating i I am a very good customer. Should be able to utilize a coupon too
Reader 2
DailyRich
0 Kudos

I have a Gmail address, got emails for the first month or so of my renewal, and nothing since then. Support chat gave me a list of six emails to add to my address book.
Reader 2
DailyRich
0 Kudos

Support's telling me my ISP may be blocking their emails.  But I use Gmail, so I don't see how that could be the case.  I've added all the addresses they told me to and I'm still not getting anything.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

DailyRich wrote:

Support's telling me my ISP may be blocking their emails.  But I use Gmail, so I don't see how that could be the case.  I've added all the addresses they told me to and I'm still not getting anything.

I've had my ISP block emails before, but not gmail.  And I'm getting BN emails on my gmail account.  One thing I will say, is with gmail's new look, check in the various folders and the junk email folder.  I've had gmail suddenly start classifying emails as junk or spam that were  previously ok.

Reader 2
DailyRich
0 Kudos

I've been looking in every folder and the spam folder, and nothing.  I talked to support on Friday and they said they'd re-sent the email and to wait 24 hours, and I still have nothing.

New User
StewyEC
0 Kudos

The same thing happened to me & I called customer service and got no where either.....I'm thinking of returning my Nook!