Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Question for Kevin: Archiving of Threads on Permanent Boards

Will a thread be archived and removed from a permanent board, like American Classics, some time after there are no new messages posted in the thread? If so, what is the time interval? (A month?) Thanks in advance.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Kevin: Archiving of Threads on Permanent Boards

pmath wrote:
Will a thread be archived and removed from a permanent board, like American Classics, some time after there are no new messages posted in the thread? If so, what is the time interval? (A month?) Thanks in advance.

Good question. I was wondering the same thing myself. If old threads aren't removed, the boards are going to become unwieldy.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: Archiving of Threads on Permanent Boards

pmath wrote:

The editors and the moderators are in serious thought about the archiving issue. We don't want to stop conversation prematurely, but also understand the concern. I think we're going to give it a little time to play out.
Frequent Contributor
ScubaDude33
0 Kudos

I've been thinking this would be an issue for 2 months. I really should be the brains behind the outfit LOL :-D
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Seems like no one really did a good analysis of what is going to happen before they jumped onto the new technical solution. And if they did then it was not complete& adequate. Half thought=half result in this case.

Some things you can't predict but the most of what we participants make comments on was not that difficult to determine.

ziki
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

can you still read from the holiday book boards?

Kevin wrote:

pmath wrote:

The editors and the moderators are in serious thought about the archiving issue. We don't want to stop conversation prematurely, but also understand the concern. I think we're going to give it a little time to play out.

I'm probably missing something obvious but is there a way to go back and read any of the old posts from some of the holiday books? I tried to do a search but I only got specific threads. Can you still go back and read those boards? Thanks for your help! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: can you still read from the holiday book boards?

Wright,
For some reason, BNBC moves some archived discussions some places that can't be found. I can still access this board because I had floated it to the top of my list of boards. So, here's a trick to help you get to it: in the search box type these words: Catherine Hardwicke's Nativity Story. The first item that comes up belongs to that board and will be a message posted by pmath and then will bring you to the board.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
I'm probably missing something obvious but is there a way to go back and read any of the old posts from some of the holiday books? I tried to do a search but I only got specific threads. Can you still go back and read those boards? Thanks for your help! :smileyhappy:

Hi Wrighty,

You can find it here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=GiftIdeas

-BillP
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Wrighty and Denise: A CHRISTMAS CAROL and More

Yes, Denise, I floated the holiday classics board to the top, too! Here's a link, Wrighty:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=HolidayClassics

donyskiw wrote:
I can still access this board because I had floated it to the top of my list of boards. So, here's a trick to help you get to it: in the search box type these words: Catherine Hardwicke's Nativity Story. The first item that comes up belongs to that board and will be a message posted by pmath and then will bring you to the board.

Wrighty wrote:
I'm probably missing something obvious but is there a way to go back and read any of the old posts from some of the holiday books? I tried to do a search but I only got specific threads. Can you still go back and read those boards?

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

BillP wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

Hi Wrighty,

You can find it here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=GiftIdeas

-BillP

Hi, Wrighty,

I'm going to do a quick followup to Bill's answer. When you go into search, you will in fact find the threads or messages containing the words you searched on. ... If you go into one of those threads, you'll end up back in the "archived" message board. You can move around from there by using the breadcrumb navigation near the top of the page. It's in that grey stripe and will say something like:

Book Clubs Home : Recent Discussions :

You can always bookmark or float one of those boards if you think you want direct access to it.
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: For Wrighty and Denise: A CHRISTMAS CAROL and More

We could still post messages to it if we wanted to because they haven't locked it! Probably along the lines of how we've now recovered from the holidays: paying the bills, where to store the decorations, losing weight from eating all that holiday food!

Denise
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Denise: February 2

[ Edited ]
Very funny, Denise! I just learned that the Christmas season used to end forty days after the Nativity, on Candlemas, so perhaps it also isn't really yet over after all.

donyskiw wrote:
We could still post messages to it if we wanted to because they haven't locked it! Probably along the lines of how we've now recovered from the holidays: paying the bills, where to store the decorations, losing weight from eating all that holiday food!

pmath wrote:
Yes, Denise, I floated the holiday classics board to the top, too! Here's a link, Wrighty:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=HolidayClassics

donyskiw wrote:
I can still access this board because I had floated it to the top of my list of boards. So, here's a trick to help you get to it: in the search box type these words: Catherine Hardwicke's Nativity Story. The first item that comes up belongs to that board and will be a message posted by pmath and then will bring you to the board.

Wrighty wrote:
I'm probably missing something obvious but is there a way to go back and read any of the old posts from some of the holiday books? I tried to do a search but I only got specific threads. Can you still go back and read those boards?

Message Edited by pmath on 01-23-200711:46 AM

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help!

Thanks everyone! You were all very helpful and I'm so glad I asked. I knew someone would have the answer. :smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: For Denise: February 2

Well, there we go! Now we can keep posting messages about the holidays!!

Denise