Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Quoting only a portion of a message.

When I reply to a message, how do I get only the portion of their message I want to appear when I hit quote post? Thank you.
Librarian
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Quoting only a portion of a message.

Librarian wrote:
When I reply to a message, how do I get only the portion of their message I want to appear when I hit quote post? Thank you.
Librarian

Two ways.

One: Use the Quote Post, but then delete everything except the part you want left. You need to be a bit careful to leave the formatting you want; those are the portions between the angle brackets. You want to make sure that the part you leave has a blockquote (between angle brackets) at the beginning and a /blockquote at the end; that marks the part inbetween as an indented quoted portion. I usually leave the hr codes in, which create the solid line, or "hard rule." I take out most of the br codes, which are carriage returns (technically, break) but make the message spread out too much. After you edit, you can hit Preview Post to see how what you've left looks; if it's all wrong, just delete everything, hit Quote Post again, and start over!

Two: Just copy and paste the text you want the way you would in any word processing program. You should identify it some way as quoted material: you can say so-and-so said before it, or you can make it italic, which means putting an i (inside angle brackets) at the start and a /i (again inside angle brackets) at the end. That turns italic on and off.
0 Kudos

Everyman----thank you for the help with my technical question.
Librarian
Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Librarian wrote:
Librarian

Yes, thank you, Everyman.

We're expecting a better/easier solution to this soon, one that lets you better format and preview your posts. ... We'll check in with the developers about it again this week.
Frequent Contributor
Scraggles
0 Kudos

Kevin wrote:
We're expecting a better/easier solution to this soon, one that lets you better format and preview your posts. ... We'll check in with the developers about it again this week.

Oh, hooray! I'm so glad things will get easier on this front. (and glad I found this help area.) It's so much easier when you can just trim a quote down to the essentials, plus it doesn't crowd the forum.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

That post was about three weeks ago. Any developments?

Kevin wrote:

Librarian wrote:
Librarian

Yes, thank you, Everyman.

0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
That post was about three weeks ago. Any developments?

It's still on the way, Everyman. The new text editor is tied up with some other features and updates that are being tested. We'll let you know when we have something more definite.