Contributor
amariswiccan
0 Kudos

Review has inappropriate language?

I have this message on a review I wrote....

"Your Review is no longer visible by others because it contains inappropriate language which violates our Terms of Use.   If you update your content, it will be reconsidered by our moderators within three business days. This message will be removed when your content is approved."         

I have read it several times and can't find anything inappropriate in my review.  So what should I do?

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

Re: Review has inappropriate language?

Could you have maybe misspelled something?  The African country of Niger accidentally spelled with two g's, for example, would certainly be considered offensive.

I don't know for sure, but I believe that the reviews work the same way these posts do:  a piece of software -- not a human being -- "reads" the review and tries to decide whether or not a violation has occurred based only on spelling.  Thus, an error in what we old folks used to call "usage" would also slip through.  For example, on these boards, I once used a word that rhymes with Nook and means "gunk," the usage I employed.  But since it is spelled the same as a word that rhymes with "kook" and is a racial slur usually directed at people of Oriental descent, B&N's computer flagged it as offensive, even though a human being would not have had difficulty understanding which word I actually used.

Also, lots of misunderstandings arise from ordinary cultural differences.  Could you have maybe used a word that, in your universe, doesn't mean anything offensive, but might elsewhere?

Regardless, please let us know how this turns out.  This is a great example of one of the little unintended consequences of the increasing computerization of our society, and, as a computer programmer (one whose job it is to make exactly this kind of thing work correctly), I am, needless to say, interested in what happened!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff

Contributor
amariswiccan
0 Kudos

Thank you for the response!  The only thing I can see as a maybe is "shot"

"I love this book! It has a home in my favorites list and I have read it several times since downloading.  Honestly I am not sure why I like it so much.  I'm not really a fan of sci-fi or pirates, but this book captured me none the less.  Give it a shot even if you don't like this kind of book, you might be as surprised as I was."

Not sure how to fix it either, it won't let me write a review or anything now.  Could be that I am missing something too.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

amariswiccan wrote:

Thank you for the response!  The only thing I can see as a maybe is "shot"

"I love this book! It has a home in my favorites list and I have read it several times since downloading.  Honestly I am not sure why I like it so much.  I'm not really a fan of sci-fi or pirates, but this book captured me none the less.  Give it a shot even if you don't like this kind of book, you might be as surprised as I was."

Not sure how to fix it either, it won't let me write a review or anything now.  Could be that I am missing something too.

Wow; I don't see anything strange about what you wrote!

How about it, everyone?  Anyone see anything in the above that the computer could object to?

I'm thinking maybe some other kind of hiccup occurred.  Try asking a moderator, or contacting Customer Service.  And let everyone know how this turns out!

Jeff 

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

[ Edited ]
I think the computer has smart AI and just decided to screw with its user. No I see nothing wrong with that review.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Contributor
amariswiccan

I didn't see anything wrong with it either but I figured there must be something, so I read the TOU, and came up with nothing.  When it let me post it in here I laughed.  I think I contacted a moderator,  or maybe it was a random person, who knows.  We shall see what happens.  Thank you both for responding and not making me feel like a total noob.  :smileywink:

Scribe
dfehling

I just got blocked for "inappropriate language" too on a completely innocent review of an app which I gave 5 stars. Don't know what is up with B&N. I sent an email to Customer Service since there isn't anyway to edit my review even if I knew what was wrong with it. 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Contributor
amariswiccan
0 Kudos

Yeah, I can't edit mine either. Thankfully we are not alone and other people are having the same issue. Maybe with so many of us they will find and fix the problem.
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

amariswiccan wrote:

Thank you both for responding and not making me feel like a total noob.  :smileywink:

Nah, you're among friends here!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff

Contributor
amariswiccan
0 Kudos

Thanks! Ok, so I received an e-mail (and let me just say it is the most useless response I have ever been given!) which instructed me to edit my review (the very thing I told them I couldn't do) or I can click the link that takes me to the Frequently Asked Questions part of the Help Desk. Never mind that there appears to be nothing wrong with the review. Pft So that is the outcome. Wish they had given me chocolate instead. Again, thanks so much for your help.
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

LOL!  Hey, somebody help me get amariswiccan some chocolate!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff  

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

Chocolate?! Cocolate?! Can I have some? :smileyhappy:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Always!  :smileyvery-happy:

Jeff

Contributor
amariswiccan
0 Kudos

Chocolate for everyone!! :smileyvery-happy: Thanks for the help y'all.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Yeeee haaaaww! I love the dark chocolate. 75% coco dark stuff. Mmm . . .
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Contributor
amariswiccan
0 Kudos

....drool....
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Ditto!  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
BookCore
0 Kudos

Count me in as another person who wrote a review that seemed innocuous to me - got told it had "inappropriate language" - but the website is not allowing me to either 1) edit it or 2) post a completely new one.  Fix this, please!

Correspondent
Yatta99

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply that makes any sense or answers your question.

I wrote a review of an app last weekend. When it didn't post and I saw a newer review that did, I did a little investigation. I found, like you, that it had been rejected for innappropriate language. I contacted CS via the web link and their response back to me was to try a different web browser?!? I wrote back trying to explain that it was B&Ns computer doing this and had nothing to do with my web browser. Their response to this was to suggest that I contact the application developer?!?

I am convinced that no one in support could pass a Turing Test.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Yatta99 wrote:

I am convinced that no one in support could pass a Turing Test.

LOL!! :smileyvery-happy:

Jeff