Contributor
cj31016

Review violates TOS??

I posted a review of the Maze Runner a few days ago. I just looked and it's not being posted due to it containing inappropriate language? I have read, and re-read that review. My wife read it as well. I don't even have an ounce of slang in the review. Not one word that could even be thought to be vulgar. I'm just wondering who I need to talk to about this. I normally post my reviews on Good Reads, but I thought I should also be posting them here too, but if I have to deal with this, I think I'll just stay on Good Reads. Thanks for the assistance.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Review violates TOS??

cj31016 wrote:

I posted a review of the Maze Runner a few days ago. I just looked and it's not being posted due to it containing inappropriate language? I have read, and re-read that review. My wife read it as well. I don't even have an ounce of slang in the review. Not one word that could even be thought to be vulgar. I'm just wondering who I need to talk to about this. I normally post my reviews on Good Reads, but I thought I should also be posting them here too, but if I have to deal with this, I think I'll just stay on Good Reads. Thanks for the assistance.

There have been several complaints about this, it sounds like B&N change the software it uses to scan the reviews or modified it and some innocuous words are now triggering the filter.  I've seen the same thing on other sites, including message boards.

Contributor
cj31016
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for the reply. I was thinking I was going crazy, lol.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

No, it isn't you at all.  There have been several complaints (just browse these boards; they're in at least two different threads).  [Sighs and rolls eyes at how great the review process COULD have been!]

Jeff 

Contributor
s-cat
0 Kudos

I Just had the same happen on my review of Of Faith and Fidelity and for the life of me have no idea what it got flagged for. I posted the same one to Goodreads and Amazon also, for the author's benefit, and no one else flagged it. Plus we can't edit the reviews or write a new one so I'm at a loss.

Only thing I can think of is maybe it didn't like me comparing the character to ones in other books, or maybe I forgot to remove some of the html I used for posting elsewhere.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Don't bother calling customer service.I have called on several occasions regarding this issue..here are my top favorite responses from Barnes and Noble CS:

3. Edit your review

2. Refresh your browser/use another browser

and the number one suggestion:

1. Delete your account and create a new user name and post review....hahahahaha!!!!

I have called NY..and no one bothered to return my call..I have now contacted publisher of book I reviewed. Will let you know if I get results.

Contributor
loueylewis
0 Kudos

I posted a review on Blacklisted and figured it was removed for my comment about descriptive military arms and vehicles. So now instead of my review hopefully helping out a friend, all they see is my star rating. What a joke. 

Delete my acount? Yeah right!

Contributor
s-cat
0 Kudos

Has anyone had one they submitted in the last two weeks actually publish? I've posted three, including the one mentioned, and all aren't showing for the same reason.

What I had gotten back from my email to CS was:

"There is some technical problem going on with the website. Our technical team is trying to resolving the issue. We hope it will be resolved soon and you can post your review."

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I had one go through last week and one that got rejected.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
cj31016
0 Kudos

Still nothing has changed. I haven't posted another review to B&N, and my review is still flagged for inappropriate content, which again there isn't any. I didn't cuss or use so much as a slang term. I did compare it to another book, is that the big no-no? No answer from a mod or B&N either. Guess I will continue to use Good Reads for book recommendations and to post my reviews. Take care all

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I tried again, as I saw that my old review that was rejected wasn't sitting in My Nook stuff anymore.  Still didn't go through.  Still said it violated TOS for language, but there was nothing objectionable in it. 

I'm beginning to think they just don't want my honest opinion on the book (only 2 stars).

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
s-cat
0 Kudos

I gave 4 stars one mine, but still made no difference. I'm tempted to try and repost the same review as anonymous and see if it makes a difference, or see if I reach it through my nook.  Being I posted the same reviews to Amazon with no issues, you'd think BN would want to fix their system.

Reader 2
dj_sweeney
0 Kudos

The only review I've ever written was for Cinder, a YA fiction. I didn't use any slang or foul language, either, but my review was flagged. I don't write reviews because I usually don't care enough, but I really enjoyed the book and deemed it worthy. Too bad B&N doesn't want to publish my praise. Sigh.

I love how they tell you to edit your content for review, but there is no way to actually do that. What a great user experience! I wish they would hire someone to fix this site so the community-oriented side (which directly influences sales) could be more intuitive, user friendly and functional. 

Contributor
s-cat
0 Kudos

I sent a tweet to the @bn_care twitter account, and the nice fellow manning the account was able to get mine posted.

Contributor
Zeeelicious
0 Kudos

same as mine! plus, I did not even get a notice or an email about which review was deemed inappropriate!!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Zeeelicious wrote:

same as mine! plus, I did not even get a notice or an email about which review was deemed inappropriate!!!!

You have revived a thread that is more than a year and a half old.

In any event. B&N uses a system of keywords to automatically screen reviews.  You might be surprised at some of the disallowed words, such as "price" and "disclaimer."  If your review contains any of the prohibited words, it will be blocked by the computer.  If you believe that your word is innocuous, you can request the Administrator of these boards (BNAlex_G) to allow it to post. 

Contributor
Zeeelicious
0 Kudos

Thanks!