Frequent Contributor
Jillian12
Accepted Solution

Starting a Book Club

If I want to start a book discussion / book club on Bn.com> How would I go about doing that?  I would like to choose a book each month, create a reading schedule, and facilitate some basic questions about the book each week.  Of course, I would appreciate any additional questions or comments, I just kind of wanted to guide a book club.  Can you give me directions on how I do that?  Do I need to apply to do so?  Can anyone start a club?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,

Jillian

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Starting a Book Club

Jillian12 wrote:

If I want to start a book discussion / book club on Bn.com> How would I go about doing that?  I would like to choose a book each month, create a reading schedule, and facilitate some basic questions about the book each week.  Of course, I would appreciate any additional questions or comments, I just kind of wanted to guide a book club.  Can you give me directions on how I do that?  Do I need to apply to do so?  Can anyone start a club?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,

Jillian

Well we split into genre camps around here. Most boards have a mod who does just that or something similar (author discustions, chat about a series, ...).

What kind of book are you thinking about? Would your choice fix better in general fiction? Check with first, but our mod there is usally willing. You could ask.

Frequent Contributor
Jillian12
0 Kudos

Tigger Bear...how do I contact the page moderator? I thought about reading books that were on Oprah Winfreys book club and others that I'm interested in (Sookie Stackhouse Series, Nora Roberts, Greg Isles, etc...) Thanks for the quick response. If you could let me k ow how to contact a page moderator, that would be great!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jillian12 wrote:
Tigger Bear...how do I contact the page moderator? I thought about reading books that were on Oprah Winfreys book club and others that I'm interested in (Sookie Stackhouse Series, Nora Roberts, Greg Isles, etc...) Thanks for the quick response. If you could let me k ow how to contact a page moderator, that would be great!

Easy. Look in that genre board. See a green name that says Mod. Click it. On the right side, see the button that say PM (personal message), click it. Talk straight to that Mod.

Though as to Sookie.  Over on paranormal we already have a all the time thread, and the newest book is usually one of that months features. Also just for you to know in Paranormal, sci/fi/fantasy, and mystery; those boards have really great Mods. But well less less than "of a reads this by and this questions" and more "talk to this author" or monthly features "comfy talk about". Not the older version of book clubs. So you can ask but...

Why don't you check them out. We are very friendly.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hi, Jillian.  There are a variety of ways that the genre boards are run here.  In some of them, if you want to, you can post a thread of your own.  So you could start a discussion of a specific book if you want.  Most boards have a general or 'introduce yourself' thread (on some boards, you might have to search back a bit to find it), so if you have any doubts, you could ask there if it's ok.  On the Classics board, we don't really have a moderator currently (we do have one, but she has been MIA for months), so we're choosing books or authors each month and kind of taking turns moderating.  It sounds kind of like what you want to do, but the books you mentioned don't really fit into that genre.  But if there are any classics that you want to discuss, you could probably have a turn one month moderating it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Jillian12
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help!  I do enjoy the classics as well!  I'll check it out!  Thank you for your help! 

Frequent Contributor
Jillian12
0 Kudos

Tigger Bear...thanks for all of your help.  I'll check out the boards and see what's going on!  :-)

New User
Shakespeare123
0 Kudos

In your opinion, wha genre would humor go into?