Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Suggestion Box

Got ideas on how we could make Barnes & Noble Book Clubs better? Post them here.

Please note, if you have ideas for new Book Clubs, we have a separate thread for that.
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion Box

Just bumping-up this thread after the Help & Important Information clean-up...

-BillP
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

I just realized that the home pages for both British and American Classics are now 2 pages long each. This is after BNC has only been running for a few months. Even after folders are moved or locked they still remain on the main page and are not even moved to the bottom of the line of folders. After a year we may have 5 or more pages to scroll through just to see if there are new posts. It just seems so disorganized. I really hope they can find a way to collapse or condense folders or do something to organize these open ongoing sections better. If it were possible to get our read/unread option back, we would be able to better navigate our own clubs, without changing or upsetting anyone else's.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

You can set your Preferences so that new posts are shown first KirstyR, although I agree that a read/unread option would be better, as has been discussed at length here previously. (You can also have an email sent to you when someone posts to a thread you have posted to or are interested in.)

KristyR wrote:
I just realized that the home pages for both British and American Classics are now 2 pages long each. This is after BNC has only been running for a few months. Even after folders are moved or locked they still remain on the main page and are not even moved to the bottom of the line of folders. After a year we may have 5 or more pages to scroll through just to see if there are new posts. It just seems so disorganized. I really hope they can find a way to collapse or condense folders or do something to organize these open ongoing sections better. If it were possible to get our read/unread option back, we would be able to better navigate our own clubs, without changing or upsetting anyone else's.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion Box : Question Box

The post by 12034 on Moderators reminds me to suggest that one very useful (old BNU) facility you could add is a signal that we want to ask the Moderator a question. On the BNU boards we had to check a Comment or Question box when we posted and a tick against Question alerted the Moderators to our queries. I assume that under our present set-up that Moderators have to trawl through all the posts to see whether we have queries or not and that must be very time consuming for them. It is also a useful facility for Authors.

BillP wrote:
Got ideas on how we could make Barnes & Noble Book Clubs better? Post them here.

Please note, if you have ideas for new Book Clubs, we have a separate thread for that.

Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

I'm not really that familiar with online book clubs and how they work. It would really be helpfull if you had terms and defintions in a side panel or something. I get confused on what somethings are or what they mean.
Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Hi Krenea1,

First off, welcome to B&N.com's Book Clubs. Glad to have you aboard. As to your suggestion, I think that would be a lot of information -- too much for a side panel. But you're in the right area here for more info. For an overview, read our About Book Clubs post.

You can also check out the Help FAQ. But as you've obviously figured out how to post a message, you're most of the way there already.

Let us know if we can help in any other way,

-BillP

krenea1 wrote:
I'm not really that familiar with online book clubs and how they work. It would really be helpfull if you had terms and defintions in a side panel or something. I get confused on what somethings are or what they mean.

Frequent Contributor
Sensorymoments
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
The post by 12034 on Moderators reminds me to suggest that one very useful (old BNU) facility you could add is a signal that we want to ask the Moderator a question. On the BNU boards we had to check a Comment or Question box when we posted and a tick against Question alerted the Moderators to our queries. I assume that under our present set-up that Moderators have to trawl through all the posts to see whether we have queries or not and that must be very time consuming for them. It is also a useful facility for Authors.

BillP wrote:

I agree, that's a great idea, you notice here that they only seem to reply to new posts/posters. If we leave ideas, they don't always seem to respond and it makes you wonder if they are reading our suggestions.

It would be a great way for users to know they are being heard if they have a question, and have assurance that thier question will be answered if they have one.
Owy

*Taking everyday, one book at a time*
L-D
Contributor
L-D
0 Kudos

Good morning. I have been trying to get help with the Fiction Writer's Workshop. I signed up last week and cannot tell where they are, if Brandi or any professional really reads submissions, and if so where her critique shows up. I ordered the book which is delayed, and don't know if it still applies or where she is in it.

I need some answers as well as my suggestion that this set-up is very unclear and differs from most online courses. The subscriber/participant should be able to know where the lecturer is on any day or week s/he logs in so that the work done off-line relates to the discussion at hand.

Please advise.
"When I get a little money I buy books; if any is left I buy food and clothes."-Erasmus
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I don't think these 'workshops' are meant to be courses L-D. I see from the threads on various topics that Brandi logs on from time to time, as your Moderator, and makes some comments and/or suggestions, which indicates that she has read the post. Moderators are not employed or paid the same way in these clubs as in the old BNU ones (I think Professor Bob Fanuzzi has posted about this somewhere). The workshops are not like the more structured BNU courses were, although perhaps with time and more requests from readers they become more like those.

L-D wrote:
Good morning. I have been trying to get help with the Fiction Writer's Workshop. I signed up last week and cannot tell where they are, if Brandi or any professional really reads submissions, and if so where her critique shows up. I ordered the book which is delayed, and don't know if it still applies or where she is in it.

I need some answers as well as my suggestion that this set-up is very unclear and differs from most online courses. The subscriber/participant should be able to know where the lecturer is on any day or week s/he logs in so that the work done off-line relates to the discussion at hand.

Please advise.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

That's a good idea Choisya. We'll ask the software developers about it.

Choisya wrote:

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Hi L-D,

With a question about a specific board, you would probably do better posting in that area instead of the Help Board. In this case that would be the Writing Fiction board. Posting there will make sure that book club's particular moderator will see it, who is better equipped to answer your question than I am. This area is more for general help.

That said, a good place to start is the "Start Here" thread on the Writing Fiction board. I'll forward this, though, to someone who should be able to help you get oriented.

-BillP

L-D wrote:

Please advise.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion Box/ read and unread

One suggestion I would make that would help me a lot is, instead of just the two options at the top of the classes to mark all messages as new or all messages as read,so they all stay there or none do. Have something in between, a bit similar to the BNU format, of marking the ones you have read as read and get them out of the way period. Right now, I go from linear to see if there are new, to thread then to see the ones around it. This works better for me than the email notices because they take me right to the one without the thread and if no one has changed the thread heading some, i dont get emails of new posts to it anyway.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

to shrink/ on fiction writing

L-D wrote:

Please advise.

Hey shrink,
I wouldn't worry so much. That board is finding its own pace right now and when you get your book you'll catch up. Brandi has a good check on the posts...so follow for some time and you'll discover soon how that unfolds...

CU there
ziki
Frequent Contributor
Katelyn
0 Kudos

L-D wrote:

Please advise.

Hi Shrink,

I hang out there on the Fiction Writing board sometimes. Although poetry writing is more my thing, and I am enjoying it. I would think of the board as more of a place to receive prompts that help one write rather than a workshop. Gotham Writing Workshop conducts more of what you are looking for. I haven't taken any of their classes because I don't have time to put enough effort in to get my money's worth (the classes aren't cheap) but I would guess the classes would be useful.

Things are moving slow (I think others are busy also) on the board so don't worry if you are behind. You could catch up in a day if you have time.

Hope to see you there. I'll look for you...

Kate
Frequent Contributor
Katelyn
0 Kudos

Hi Shrink,

I forgot to add that I think the book is great; there is a really good selection of stories there. We aren't really using the book in the club (or not yet at least), but it is currently being used more for background.

Kate again
L-D
Contributor
L-D
0 Kudos

Re: to shrink/ on fiction writing

Dear Ziki, thank you so much for your response. I have my book, and will try to figure out where the group is. What exercise are you working on now (1-23-07) so that I can track it on the page? I'm feeling confused as to what part of the club you refer to as the "Board", and maybe if I could find where you are this week, then I could catch up at my own pace. Do Brandi's lectures show up on the Board, or in another section. It's hard to believe that I am having so much trouble just trying to follow the format in a meaningful way. I guess that I'm used to more formalized outlines and deadlines.

L-D
"When I get a little money I buy books; if any is left I buy food and clothes."-Erasmus
L-D
Contributor
L-D
0 Kudos

Thanks, Katelyn. I guess I will also ask you where the "Board" is as separate from the "threads". I'm beginning to sound like an idiot!
L-D
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Hi L-D,

A board is a what threads are in. For example, this thread, "Suggestion Box," is in the Help and Important Information Board, which is in turn within the Help & Information category.

Or another example. The Writing Book Clubs is a category; within that are boards Fiction Writing and Romance Writing; and within them are the individual discussion threads.

You can see where you are if you look across the top of any page. For where we are right now it's:

Book Clubs Home : Help & Information : Help & Important Information : Re: Suggestion Box

Hope that helps you orient yourself a bit.

-BillP

L-D wrote:
Thanks, Katelyn. I guess I will also ask you where the "Board" is as separate from the "threads". I'm beginning to sound like an idiot!
L-D

L-D
Contributor
L-D
0 Kudos

Bill, thanks for your instructions. They were helpful, and I think I am getting more attuned to the various threads. My plan for today is to locate the Fiction Writing Board, see where they are and to do the next exercise.

It is really helpful to know that there are real people out there waiting to be of assistance.

L-D