Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion Box

0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion Box : Duplicate email problem - Gone!

On the question of subscribing to receive emails and then getting them in duplicate, I am pleased to say that this problem has now ceased, thanks to technical changes and the advice of the Admin people. I love the email facility because it means when I switch on my computer in the morning (your night) I often get quite a few emails advising me of responses to posts I had made the day or days before. It is very stimulating, and often amusing, early morning reading and gets my old brain into gear quicker than a cup of coffee:smileyhappy: Thankyou B&N!
New User
stealthwriter
0 Kudos

hi L-D
i too am totally new to the site and am CONFUSED. i spent most of today reading the various notes from participants and they are fascinating but it seems almost like an accident to find the "lectures" on whch the threads are based.

Are there only four "lectures " by Brandi thus far since october or am i missing all kinds of exercises. i could only find four of those as well... an intro, two on character and one on plot. are there more someplace? i do look at the top for topics but i am pretty much shooting in the dark. HELP~ thanks. e
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Hello stealthwriter: Have you read Start Here : How This Book Club Works at the top of the Fiction Writing threads? You can then progress to the Chapter Headings below The Composite Method, The Source of Fiction etc. I don't think there are any exercises, as on the old BNU boards. If you need help in navigating the boards this may help:-

I think this is the order in which most regular readers want to see the posts and it saves a lot of scrolling. It also helps if we put the Quote underneath our own message.

1) Sign in (nothing works until you do!)
2) Go to Profile
3) Go to Preferences
4) Go to Display Settings
5) Tick Linear format
6) Go to Linear Format Settings
7) Tick Newest to Oldest/Date descending
8) Do NOT tick 'Automatically jump to first unread message in a thread'.
9) Save changes

stealthwriter wrote:
hi L-D
i too am totally new to the site and am CONFUSED. i spent most of today reading the various notes from participants and they are fascinating but it seems almost like an accident to find the "lectures" on whch the threads are based.

Are there only four "lectures " by Brandi thus far since october or am i missing all kinds of exercises. i could only find four of those as well... an intro, two on character and one on plot. are there more someplace? i do look at the top for topics but i am pretty much shooting in the dark. HELP~ thanks. e

stealthwriter wrote:
hi L-D

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Hello stealthwriter: Have you read Start Here : How This Book Club Works at the top of the Fiction Writing threads? You can then progress to the Chapter Headings below The Composite Method, The Source of Fiction etc. I don't think there are any exercises, as on the old BNU boards. If you need help in navigating the boards this may help:-

Thanks for the assist, Choisya.

Brandi, the excellent moderator/leader of our Writing Fiction Book Club, keeps a good schedule for her discussion.

Start with this thread: How This Book Club Works for more details. The writing clubs are ongoing clubs, meaning that they go on from month to month without starting anew. This allows Brandi and the other moderators to focus on one set of skills at a time. Those themes are "floated" to the top of the board (above the skinny green line) so you can find them.

I hope this helps you get started. But let us, or Brandi, know if you have more questions.

As for finding your way around the boards in general, we strongly recommend the default settings. We have experimented many ways with the boards, and have listened to a lot of feedback, and think this is the best.
Here's what we've set as the defaults:

1. Linear Format
  2. Oldest to Newest
  3. Skip Previously Read Messages
  4. Sort Messages by Latest Post Date in Each Thread

When you look at the boards this way, you'll notice that the thread listings under the skinny green line rearrange themselves according the the latest activity in the threads. That helps you find the newest content at all times. Also, when you click on the title of the thread, you'll skip automatically to the first unread message in that thread.

Many people choose to manage their views in their own way. You can make any changes you want, and you can change them back if you need to.

Hope this helps.

And welcome to the Book Clubs.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: to LD-fiction writing

[ Edited ]
Hi LD,

I call the whole BN set up the forum .Then within that forum there are different boards =different books that are being discussed in the moment(=different discussions).A lot to choose from. Also the featured books change from time to time.

So go to the main page
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/

then down below in the little dark green frame (rectangle) called Browse Boards you see "writing book clubs" line, click on that and then click on the yellow book and that takes you to the board on fiction writing. Once there you'll see instructions posted.

Take your time, explore, otherwise ask here again.

For now the yellow book is also shown directly on the main page so you do not need to go via the green rectangle (=directory), you can click directly on that book or the text under, both are links.

good luck
ziki :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 01-29-200703:40 PM

New User
jefa_gonzalez
0 Kudos

I would like to have a Book Club for Books writen and disscused in spanish. I belong to one whith some friends, and a lot of time we have problem finding some books at reasonable prices, could BN help us with it? thanks
Reader
0 Kudos

How do I enter my book Immortally Roman into the club?

JB Austin
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Hi Pasquale,

We have a thread in our Community Room called Read My Book! that would be the perfect place to do so.

Thanks,

BillP

pasquale wrote:
How do I enter my book Immortally Roman into the club?

JB Austin

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Past Discussions

Would you consider listing all archived discussions (including recent ones) only on a separate page, perhaps categorized by year? It would make the Current Book Clubs page truly current, and it would be nice to be able to easily find any discussion from the past!
Frequent Contributor
Erato
0 Kudos

I actively particpated in the old BNU and lost all my info/identity in the changeover.
I've looked in on many of the discussions, but something is lost in this new format.

When we discussed "In the Company of the Courtesan" with Sarah Dunant, there were soooo many interesting posts and discussions. Also, the poetry courses were fabulous!

I'm not sure why this newer format is not generating the number of posts that the older one did?

But when.....The NUMBER ONE selling fiction paperback, newly announced Pulitzer winner in fiction and also Oprah's newest pick for her book club...."THE ROAD" by Cormac McCarthy is limping along with a handful of posters, I think you need to take a second look.

The esteemed academic society of Cormac McCarthy is also meeting in Knoxville this week-end and this book is showing up everywhere!

It has all the elements for an intense discussion. I just don't know why it's getting so few posters here?
The moderator is rather brief and not too present, so that may contribute.

I hope that the book clubs continue, but since the newer format, it appears you've lost many members......
Good luck,
Susanne
Frequent Contributor
Erato
0 Kudos

A suggestion; many people just click the "quote text" button each time and the thread just grows and grows and is cumbersome to read with all the multiple repetitions.

Perhaps the moderators could let people know how to avoid this trailing thread problem?
Susanne
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Erato wrote:
A suggestion; many people just click the "quote text" button each time and the thread just grows and grows and is cumbersome to read with all the multiple repetitions.

Perhaps the moderators could let people know how to avoid this trailing thread problem?
Susanne

Erato,

Yes, whenever possible, we should edit down the quoted text to just what you're responding to. We're hoping to have some improvements to our post editor soon that should aid in this.

-BP
Contributor
TammieCorcoran
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BillP wrote:
Got ideas on how we could make Barnes & Noble Book Clubs better? Post them here.

Please note, if you have ideas for new Book Clubs, we have a separate thread for that.

I've been a member of B&N book clubs for years and I have to say I cannot understand why you would have gone from such a wonderful, organized and participant-friendly format to this one?

-Someone needs to monitor the defunct book discussions on the "Browse Current Discussions" page. It seems there are several discussions that ended a few months ago but are still posted.

-Start dates aren't set in stone, so it seems everyone doesn't start reading at the same time. I can only speak for myself, but I like reading and discussing in a timely manner with the rest of the group.

-What happened to the B&N Classics discussions? Those were great.

-Some of these discussions seem to die out quickly. With the BNU discussions, there was always a good moderator who kept the discussions going and a lot of participants that stayed on in the book discussions.

I am in a great discussion right now (Paradise Lost) and Laurel is doing an excellent job moderating. I hope she continues to do so as the PL board reminds me of the BNU of old with lots of references and learning and great discussion.

I really used to look forward to coming to BNU each and every month and mark off the discussions I would participate in. It was wonderful! Too bad you changed the format.

Tammie

Message Edited by TammieCorcoran on 05-13-200712:48 AM

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

TammieCorcoran wrote:

Start dates aren't set in stone, so it seems everyone doesn't start reading at the same time. I can only speak for myself, but I like reading and discussing in a timely manner with the rest of the group.

-What happened to the B&N Classics discussions?

Tammie

Message Edited by TammieCorcoran on 05-13-200712:48 AM

Hi Tammie,

Start times for discussions are set a month in advance and are generally begin on the first Monday of the month. Contributor-hosted discussions, like Literature by Women and Paradise Lost, have different schedules but are posted well in advance of the start date. You can find all the start dates on our Coming Soon page.

And we still have Classics discussions. Paradise Lost (as you know) and Mansfield Park are running right now, and in June we have The Annotated Pride and Predjudice, lead by its editor, David M. Shapard.

Not every Book Club is right for every person, but we're glad you've found a couple to participate in and hope you continue to in the future.

Thanks,

-BillP
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion Box/ Night

Is this where we can suggest books? I would like to suggest 3 that are a trilogy and I remembered them because Oprah is going to do a special with Elie Wiesel, tonight maybe,so I heard. You have all three books that make up the trilogy, and may have done before, I dont know. But they are Night, Dawn, and Day by Elie Wiesel. He won a Pulitzer prize for one of them I believe and they are about his time in the Nazi concentration camp, but each book is a seperate one too. They are short books, they could be done in three consecutive months, or Night, since its one of the best known, could be done one month and the other two the next. I think they would make for a great club and I havent even read all of them yet. Would love to see something like this here. Read the info on them and see what you think. TYIA vivico1
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Would you consider opening a board titled something like "not otherwise classified" or "Other works" or something, where readers could start discussions of books that don't fit into any of the established boards? I think, for example, of non-British or American novels, history, philosophy, biography, etc. I know you don't want to open too many boards, but it might help somewhat if there were an "other books" board which would allow the other boards to remain more purely limited to their title subjects.
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion Box/ Night

I have read Night, I think it won a prize so it might be the one. And if not, it is one of the best ten books I have ever read.
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

You highly recommend, and I agree, viewing things in linear rather than threaded format.

But that some times makes it hard to know what post a later post is responding to.

There's a handy "view discussion in pop-up" option, but it appears to me that when clicked that gives the whole linear view of the discussion, which may be pages long and doesn't help find the post being replied to.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have that option pop up just the thread involved? That would enable you to see at a glance the specific sequence of posts which led up to the post you're reading or replying to.
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion Box - responding to posts

Everyman wrote:
You highly recommend, and I agree, viewing things in linear rather than threaded format.

But that some times makes it hard to know what post a later post is responding to.

There's a handy "view discussion in pop-up" option, but it appears to me that when clicked that gives the whole linear view of the discussion, which may be pages long and doesn't help find the post being replied to.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have that option pop up just the thread involved? That would enable you to see at a glance the specific sequence of posts which led up to the post you're reading or replying to.

I know this isn't what you're asking about but it's not as hard to tell what posts are being responded to when people use the quote button and/or list it in the subject box. Most people do use these functions and when they don't it's usually just because they forget. A friendly reminder is often all it takes in that case. I realize you are asking about a different function but these help too. :smileyhappy: