New User
imissbnu
0 Kudos

Where's Barnes and Noble University?

My apologies, I searched for bnu and saw that this topic has been covered already. But since all the messages have been deleted and the answers are no longer viewable I need to start a new thread. What happened to Barnes and Noble University? It really stood out as an in depth exploration of such a wide variety of topics and was a true contribution to on-line learning. Look, books can be discussed anywhere but bnu actually offered guided and prolonged instruction. I'm quite disappointed that it appears to be gone but I can't find any information to confirm that. Can someone fill me in please.
New User
Breen75
0 Kudos

Re: Where's Barnes and Noble University?

Barnes and Noble University was awesome! The courses were great and I bought so many books online because of it. PC Care, to PC Programming, LOTR, to Shakespeare. It was such a delight to see the courses offered and participate. I wish Barnes and Noble would Continue with it. What Happened to it? No e-mail send out to members explaining that it was being canceled. It does not reflect the company well that they would do such a thing and not explain why to their loyal customers.
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the notes, Breen75 and imissbnu,

While we made the move from BNU many months ago, we still do hear from people who didn't catch the announcement last fall.

We're sorry this caught you by surprise, but we welcome you to the Book Clubs, and we hope you stay. We've got many author-, moderator- and user-led discussions taking place, and we add new boards every month.

Have a look around. You'll probably find some familiar faces -- and sone great conversations, too.

Thanks,

BillP

Message Edited by BillP on 05-10-2007 06:38 PM

Contributor
Valerietexier
0 Kudos

I am so disappointed BNU stopped.
I was looking forward to back.
Frequent Contributor
LuvReading
0 Kudos

Bill,

I'd love to see BNU back too, but it doesn't appear to be a reality.

I only see a few new book club discussions for June. There are several author-led posts, but what about the classics? Those were my favorite BNU discussions.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

They have two groups one is the American Lit Classics and the other is the British Lit Classics clubs. I think that you would also consider Pride and Predjudice a classic.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

There's Pride and Prejudice, Laurel is moderating Paradise Lost, followed by Eugene Onegin, and the Literature by Women group (moderated by me) is currently reading Byatt's Possession; the next two selections are Wharton's The Buccaneers and Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, and we are also in the process of nominations for the fall group of books. :smileyhappy:

LuvReading wrote:
Bill,

I only see a few new book club discussions for June. There are several author-led posts, but what about the classics? Those were my favorite BNU discussions.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

The Iliad will be starting in September. That certainly would be considered a classic, by any reckoning.

pedsphleb wrote:
There's Pride and Prejudice, Laurel is moderating Paradise Lost, followed by Eugene Onegin, and the Literature by Women group (moderated by me) is currently reading Byatt's Possession; the next two selections are Wharton's The Buccaneers and Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, and we are also in the process of nominations for the fall group of books. :smileyhappy:

LuvReading wrote:
Bill,

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Nelsmom wrote:
They have two groups one is the American Lit Classics and the other is the British Lit Classics clubs.

Those are, at this point, only semi-active; the real action in classics is in the Paradise Lost group (which will be discussing much more than PL, see their schedule) and in the Literature by Women group.

There's also a Shakespeare group, but it's suspended for the time being, though one can still post there.

I would love to see more action in the American and British lit classics, but somebody has to take charge of a discussion, and people aren't.
0 Kudos

I too don't recall ever seeing an e-mail that they were "revising" BNU. I don't like the new format at all - too much of an unorganized free-for-all with little guidance; it seems like nothing more than a big chat room message board. I really liked the syllabi that the BNU moderators put together that directed and informed the courses. They were very helpful in guiding the reading and discussions, and most of the moderators were really good at keeping the group on topic. How disappointing that they chose to go with this new format.
New User
Schaefferyf
0 Kudos

imissbnu wrote:
My apologies, I searched for bnu and saw that this topic has been covered already. But since all the messages have been deleted and the answers are no longer viewable I need to start a new thread. What happened to Barnes and Noble University? It really stood out as an in depth exploration of such a wide variety of topics and was a true contribution to on-line learning. Look, books can be discussed anywhere but bnu actually offered guided and prolonged instruction. I'm quite disappointed that it appears to be gone but I can't find any information to confirm that. Can someone fill me in please.

Will Barnes and Noble University be returning? If not, I think it would be a terrible mistake Barnes & Noble would be making. By having the University Barnes and Noble University, your company was giving back to society. Without it, you have taken away somthing very positive. I'm quite sure you have received a lot of mail from disappointed customers. You should consider bringing the Barnes and Noble University back soon!!!!
New User
scoburn95
0 Kudos

I only used the University for the other classes and discussion groups. I have no desire to join a book club at this time. How disappointing.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

scoburn95 wrote:
I only used the University for the other classes and discussion groups. I have no desire to join a book club at this time. How disappointing.

You might want to look into the Virtual University, at http://vu.org/

It's more akin to what BNU used to be.
0 Kudos

I can't believe BNU is gone!! It was one of my favorite resources! It was also the main reason I would buy books from Barnes. I wish they would put it back!!!
New User
draushaus
0 Kudos

BN found a great niche in the market with BN University, I thought. But it needed a little more time to grow and get a strong foothold. A shame they didn't nurture it a little more.
Oh well, such is life. Someone else will fill the niche eventually.