Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: An Opening Note About Our Discussion

baobab wrote:
I just joined the book club today. I'm delighted to find your discussion of Moby Dick, a book I've been planning to read for many years. I look forward to reading your discussions as I read the book.

We're delighted to have you. Please plant your feet in a message thread, probably the opening chapters, and you'll see that we've been all over what happened to Queequeg and Ishmael in the bunk. I hope you enjoy your own and these discoveries.
Bob
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

To all newcommers-join-lookee here

All the newcommers should ship now! BN "Moby-Dick 600pg F-nuz" might soon leave this cyber harbor for its second whaling trip! Ahoy!

The first lady hapooner is Choisya assisted by Laurel. The captain Mr. Fannuzi is now trying to escape the mission. Let's throw some net over him.

ziki :-)
I didn't drink that rum yet
I am Aunt Charity (ch. 20)
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: To all newcommers-join-lookee here

[ Edited ]
I couldn't be Aunt Charity; I would never leave that rum undrunk. So am I the poor whale trying to escape while nets and harpoons try to tether me? Not on your life! I'm in this until the last of us goes down the vortex. Just don't call me feckless if I have to jump to another board and reel new readers in with a poor excuse for a hook. There will always be only one MD crew.
(Ziki, I'm still laughing. "Lookee here?")

Message Edited by fanuzzir on 01-29-200710:18 PM

New User
BigG
0 Kudos

Re: To all newcomers-join-lookee here

[ Edited ]
Hi to all,

I just joined the club and am a big fan of classical literature. I happened to post a review of Moby Dick almost six years ago on my web page. Here is the URL if it's not prohibited to post it.

Moby Dick

Message Edited by BigG on 01-30-200707:56 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

BGs review

[ Edited ]
Hi BG,
thanks for sharing. That was great, write on! I'd also settle on five stars even if I can hardly believe myself saying it!

I like the encouragement you give to the kids and other readers. I think one way to learn is to make everything into a manageable project, cross the subject boundaries and become a blacksmith, an artist.

Now there are a few points that could be discussed; Like did MD die, too? If so what survived in the form of Ishmael? Can anything survive? If so what is that? You say the world wasn't big enough for them both. I kinda like it, however, it is at odds with my own cosmology that reads All is One what results into that two must coexist because duality is the nature of this manifested Universe.

I repost it here so we see it easily.

Jaws' Granddaddy
Jul 30 '00

Author's Product Rating
Product Rating: 5.0

Pros
Great descriptions of the period, psychological profiles, suspense

Cons
None, really

Full Review Moby Dick

One of America's greatest contributions to world literature is Moby Dick, a book about evil, with a capital E.

Written by Herman Melville, and published in 1851, Moby Dick details the conflict between Captain Ahab and the great White Whale for whom the story is named.

At their first meeting, Moby Dick tore off Ahab's leg. Infuriated, Ahab vows revenge - and in a single-minded man such as he, revenge is an all-powerful motivating thought. Ahab uses his whaler, The Pequod, and crew to pursue the leviathan across the seven seas. Indeed, the world is not a big enough place for the two to coexist.

ziki comment: It is not Ahab's whaler but the two captains own it. Which is a bit more complicated (compilcated as chad taught me to say here in this BN discussion) because he even gambles with other people's property and that makes it even more perilous. He also gambles with the life-value of already caught and slaughtered whales, they are not to be forgotten.

Ahab's suicidal fixation results in the destruction of Moby Dick, yes, but even in the moment of his triumph, he too is dragged down to his death.

It is not conscious...the destructive behaviour of Ahab is the consequence of the narcissistic fixation.

Maybe I just didn't want to lokee there into that depth of MBs paralell destruction but so far, personally I settled on not knowing. Was this really the final assault? Who says humanity changed? Japs and others chase whales even today, if not, then folks dig holes into the earth to pump up petroleum.....earth is alive, too, and since 1850 they invented cars etc. etc. the petroleum propelled us to Moon etc....but as long humanity remains unwise the Moby Dick has to exist.

Captain Ahab is the literary type of the self-destructive personality, unable to find happiness in this life, longing to depart it, but unable to take the easy way out, therefore masking this suicidal urge in a larger, more noble sounding cause. His crew fear him, not because of his stern anger or fixed purpose, but because they fear to look inside themselves and see the Captain Ahab lurking within - a demon that lives within us all.

Point in case: there ISN'T an easy way out!

This fear fuels the story. The men are eager to pursue the whale and put an end to him. In this way they hope to exorcise the demon from Captain Ahab and themselves. Alas, they do not know that the purpose of Ahab is to destroy himself, and the whale is just a pretext.

ziki: The characters and plot expand with & encompass interpretations. It's interesting to hear how you see it. I perk up when you mention exorcism. I took a short break 'midbook MB' and read Scott Peck's two first books, somehow it chimes. I didn't yet have the time to ponder it. Thanks for your input.

Moby Dick has been printed continuously since 1851 and is available in many editions. My personal copy is by the Easton Press Leather Bound Library of the 100 Greatest Books Ever Written. The book is beautifully bound in hand tooled leather with gilt page edges and both color and black and white illustrations.

The problem I would have with such book is that I wouldn't dare to jot in it so furiously as I do with the BN paperback. But I have an old Dumas Three Musketeers and while I fearlessly hold it together with strips of duct tape (which is just a temporary remedy) I wouldn't write into it.

Many of you were required to read Moby Dick in high school and we all know how onerous it is to be told to read and write a report on any work of "great literature".

z:It should be forbidden...but I do not know how teachers can keep the kids motivated and interested in important stuff

However, this book is great and deserves a second look. I promise you, if you do not find it riveting, you will at least find it immensely entertaining. Oh, and yes, Peter Benchley did rip off the plot for Jaws. :smileyembarrassed:

z:Oh, it definitely 'demands' more looks than two! Did he? Jaws? I didn't know that. They call it inspiration and for that MB is famous. We put Benchley on the same bench together with others.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-30-200705:00 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: To all newcomers-join-lookee here

Hi Big G - Welcome Aboard! An interesting review but I hope you read the posts here because I think you will find that some of us disagree the MD is about evil with a big E:smileyhappy:

BigG wrote:
Hi to all,

I just joined the club and am a big fan of classical literature. I happened to post a review of Moby Dick almost six years ago on my web page. Here is the URL if it's not prohibited to post it.

Moby Dick

Message Edited by BigG on 01-30-200707:56 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

join &lookee here, I just have to say to Bob....

HAhah, but I am in a blubber now! If not directly in those Try Works of hell I didn't understand upon the first reading (they are now in question-marked chapters)...

I read the book and for that I claim a medal not any stinking doubloon, but what I discovered is that the book has me now by my neck and throat, my feet dangling in the air and it screems at me WHAT NOW!??? What's the right action?

I can't leave it because it holds me; Oh my fate!

And avast! The worst of it, this is true, not a joke, so perhaps the newcommers should be warned instead! I don't know what I was doing the dark December 26th of year 2006 when I shipped, coffin or not. Don't say I wasn't warned sufficiently. Look what BN wrote: ONGOING...I am afraid they were right, I just didn't want to see it.

"That some teacher somewhere" on the cyber ocean wasn't joking when she said 'ahoy, for some people this is a bible'. Lookee again! Some take it with them when they go camping...and I might find myself doing the same! Dragging Moby through all the metal controls on the airports! 'Whatabouta' Ahab's harpoon then?

I was trying to write myself a poem today, it's not doable, just some incoherent patetic fragments. Melville's curse-magic. See that guy Frank Stella that was mentioned initially in or discussions? His son suggested that he does just a few pictures. "No way!", cries Stella, "All or nothing!" and he turns into a furious Ahab, mixing his paints and bits of wood and what not and off he sails on a loooong journey...and he was a minimalist, I beg you!

Ah, this is a serious stuff.

ziki
in the whale's head & looking desperately for a midwife
Contributor
bobthebuilder
0 Kudos

Re: join &lookee here, I just have to say to Bob....

wow you all really like Moby...DICK...
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

baobab

baobab wrote:
I just joined the book club today. I'm delighted to find your discussion of Moby Dick, a book I've been planning to read for many years. I look forward to reading your discussions as I read the book.

Hi, so great, baobab! Reading the messages might not be easier than reading the book, but I hope you have fun with it. Post and play. Welcome.

ziki
ALK
Contributor
ALK
0 Kudos

Re: start up- alk

ziki wrote:
Hi Alk,
I feel for you. I have been experimenting a couple of months now and I am not really happy with any solution, yet.It seems to be individual, too. The good thing is that there are some options at least. Sometimes I find the threaded view better because I can easily see who replied to whom. I get more continuity. In a discussion like here on Moby with many posts it can be useful. OTH it is slower way to get through, so if you just need a quick overview the linear is better. As you said if you are up to date with a running discussion then the newest might be best while seeing all the old Christmas messages is a bit enerving. For me just using the forum and experimenting gave the best ideas. Don't give up even if it is far from ideal. Both books and people are fun.

Hopefully the BN techies will keep improving the interface and come up with i.e. collapsable topics (that would make life easier and prevent me from collapsing, LOL). There is a help section on the forum where Bill
and Kevin will advice you if you post your questions there.

Welcome. Will you read Moby Dick?

ziki
on the welcome committee today :-)

Thanks for the welcome Ziki, I enjoy your posts. I was planning on joining the Hemingway group but am now hooked on Moby Dick and will continue reading him until I am done. I thought I had read Moby Dick while a teenager, but nothing is familiar--I was probably too young to appreciate him anyway. I know I have read all of Hemingway's novels and many of his short stories and (I know this is heretical) I now prefer Moby Dick.

By the way, what or who is "MB." The answer is probably obvious but I am taking advantage of my newcomer status to ask a stupid question.

ALK
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: join &lookee here, I just have to say to Bob....

ziki wrote:
I read the book and for that I claim a medal not any stinking doubloon, but what I discovered is that the book has me now by my neck and throat, my feet dangling in the air and it screems at me WHAT NOW!??? What's the right action?

Now Ziki, can you tell us all if you have any, uh, . . . prosthetics maybe? Or a young wife and child back home somewhere? I knew you understood this book all too well . . .
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

ALK wrote: I was planning on joining the Hemingway group but am now hooked on Moby Dick and will continue reading him until I am done. I thought I had read Moby Dick while a teenager, but nothing is familiar--I was probably too young to appreciate him anyway. I know I have read all of Hemingway's novels and many of his short stories and (I know this is heretical) I now prefer Moby Dick.

ALK

It will be an adjustment for us all when we leave Moby Dick. Or should I say "If"? I'm glad you've given new life to the discussion.
Bob
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I just have to say to Bob....

fanuzzir wrote:

ziki wrote:

Now Ziki, can you tell us all if you have any, uh, . . . prosthetics maybe? Or a young wife and child back home somewhere? I knew you understood this book all too well . . .

Well, I hoped not to say it here out loud but I plan to rent a ship in Nantucket...
Anybody wants to sail with me? :-D :-D

I do not know if I undertood that book all that well but at least I understood why this book might get the nomination into competition regarding the greatest American novel and why it takes such a possesion of some folks, one way or the other.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

stupid questions-to ALK

ALK, I see you've chosen the right icon! MB is an abreviation of Moby Dick. 'Tmakes typing quicker.I love stupid questions because they always bring out brilinace in others and yourself!

Happy reading, may the book cast a magic spell on you.

Shall I tell you a secret that no one here knows? The reason I finally decided the read this book was an interview with Laurie Andersson, the music-maker...and her assesment helped me through the tough patches of this opus (along with the great people here).
The link is somewhere on this list I think posted by by leaky bucket (?) who later gave up on us because she didn't have enough time available.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

none

[ Edited ]
sorry

Message Edited by ziki on 02-04-200706:01 PM

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:

ALK wrote: I was planning on joining the Hemingway group but am now hooked on Moby Dick and will continue reading him until I am done. I thought I had read Moby Dick while a teenager, but nothing is familiar--I was probably too young to appreciate him anyway. I know I have read all of Hemingway's novels and many of his short stories and (I know this is heretical) I now prefer Moby Dick.

ALK

It will be an adjustment for us all when we leave Moby Dick. Or should I say "If"? I'm glad you've given new life to the discussion.
Bob

Yeah, we could just hang out here forever. There's certainly enough study material. When we get done with all of the characters, we'll discuss the literary meaning of all the cetology chapters in minute detail!

Denise
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

hanging out?

donyskiw wrote:
Yeah, we could just hang out here forever.

It's not exactly like I am hanging out on the beach here sipping Planter's Punch.I am sailing in full gale and I wonder if I'll perish, christ!

ziki
ALK
Contributor
ALK
0 Kudos

Re: stupid questions-to ALK

Thanks for your kind reply. While a teenager in woodshop I made a one masted schooner that I named the Orca. And it has stayed in the back of my mind ever since.

Thanks for MB. I see both MB and MD on the posts. I did figure out, without working on it too long, that MD stood for Moby Dick. But I would never have guessed that MB also stood for Moby Dick. It just occurs to me: MD=the book, MB=the whale??

I am not sure what the layout rules are. I write a newspaper column and short paragraphs are much easier to read in a newspaper.

More stupid questions: are you writing in Word and then pasting in? What does that thick green line across the middle of the "Literary Classics: Moby Dick" section mean? Why are there duplicate threads above and below? Where is the long discussion on the first sentence of MD? I told you I was very new at the Internet, even though I use Word all the time.

I have now read teh first 27 chapters and hope that the discussion continues. I did get a copy of Hemingway from the library and will maybe peek in there now and then, but I will stick to MD to the end.

Ziki wrote--

ALK, I see you've chosen the right icon! MB is an abreviation of Moby Dick. 'Tmakes typing quicker.I love stupid questions because they always bring out brilinace in others and yourself
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

to ALK

ALK wrote:
Thanks for your kind reply. While a teenager in woodshop I made a one masted schooner that I named the Orca. And it has stayed in the back of my mind ever since.

Thanks for MB. I see both MB and MD on the posts. I did figure out, without working on it too long, that MD stood for Moby Dick. But I would never have guessed that MB also stood for Moby Dick. It just occurs to me: MD=the book, MB=the whale??

I am not sure what the layout rules are. I write a newspaper column and short paragraphs are much easier to read in a newspaper.

More stupid questions: are you writing in Word and then pasting in? What does that thick green line across the middle of the "Literary Classics: Moby Dick" section mean? Why are there duplicate threads above and below? Where is the long discussion on the first sentence of MD? I told you I was very new at the Internet, even though I use Word all the time.

I have now read teh first 27 chapters and hope that the discussion continues. I did get a copy of Hemingway from the library and will maybe peek in there now and then, but I will stick to MD to the end.

For some people it takes 6months or more to read this book, that is OK. Personally I think it is better to read slowly than jump chapters.

Duh....sorry... MB was a typo (moby) MD is Moby Dick. I do not think we were so very precise and specified when we meant book of the whale. It's a bit of a haphazard concoction.

The green line-double topics: whatever is above the green line is a topic that is 'floated' that means emphasized. It's a short cut, if you click on that it takes you to that file of posts. The moderator floats some topics but you can also float and unfloat topics yourself at your own will (clickon the arrow right hand side)

I used that when I wanted to find a thread quicker while reading (instead of scrolling).

There is a help board where you can ask all practical question. See the main page of the clubs' site, helpboards.

I usually type directly into the reply window but if it takes too long it will time you out....in which case you could copy and a paste from a word dok. It is up to you and what you prefer.

Either you post your 'solitary reasoning' on a topic or you toss the thoughts you want to discuss with others.

Long discussion on the first sentence? Not sure if we had any...you can start a whole new topic (file) by clicking new message an initiate a discussion. Sometimes people pick up and sometimes they don't. ;-)

You can quote (button quote) and you can edit your posts 90 min after posting.
Just play with it, experiment.
I am not so keen on this technical solution. I find it too cumbersome. (We used to have another system that I liked better but BN changed that last fall.)

ziki
Users Online
Currently online:18 members 312 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: