Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahab in Lahaina?

A friend told me that there is a statue of Ahab in Lahaina on Maui?
Is there?
I went snorkling to Molokini (no whales) but Ahab in that case escaped me. No luck with google now either... :-(

ziki
tpm
Contributor
tpm
0 Kudos

Re: Queequeg

ziki wrote:
Hi Todd, welcome. Not a silly post at all. I simply settled on "kwee-kweg".
It's good to verify that here.

ziki

Well it's good to know I wasn't completely off base.

The "silly" element reminded me of what one of my engineering professors said to a fellow student: "You know, they say there are no stupid questions, but that one was really close."
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: joy of cooking- off topic

Oh, I wasn't on that board. Well, she'll be happy about the endorsement.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

asking questions

[ Edited ]

tpm wrote:Well it's good to know I wasn't completely off base.

You never are. 'To read is to think independently', something like that was said by Vargas Llosa [=bargas yossa]

Know that the authorities can't easily control people who read a lot! (I guess B&N experienced it recently with us few hard nuts here, heheh, when we were protesting about this new board).

Therefore [they=someone afraid] murdered Politkovskaja (journalist) in Russia last fall...ah, we could go on.

I must dare to ask 'stupid' questions here. What is a stupid question? Any question is neutral. "Stupid" question is a cover up for a self sabotaging judgemental approach to my own ability to think. When you take that path you sort of kick the chair from under your butt. Therefore read and comment, wi(l)dely!

:-)
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-05-200708:27 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Gaugin

[ Edited ]
Choisya, here in this link...scrole..there is a stamp 90F (modern) showing a woman in a chair and it really reminds you of what Gaugin could have been looking at...

http://www.janeresture.com/polyhome/index.htm

Message Edited by ziki on 01-09-200701:05 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Gaugin

Thanks ziki - nice music too.

ziki wrote:
Choisya, here in this link...scrole..there is a stamp 90F (modern) showing a woman in a chair and it really reminds you of what Gaugin could have been looking at...

http://www.janeresture.com/polyhome/index.htm

Message Edited by ziki on 01-09-200701:05 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Sena Jeter Naslund's AHAB'S WIFE

Is anyone interested in reading Sena Jeter Naslund's Ahab's Wife, or, The Star-Gazer in February, and discussing it on the Fiction General Discussion board?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780060838744
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Sena Jeter Naslund's AHAB'S WIFE

Not too keen pmath - thanks for finding it though. Sounds a bit too romantic for cynical old Moi:smileyhappy:

pmath wrote:
Is anyone interested in reading Sena Jeter Naslund's Ahab's Wife, or, The Star-Gazer in February, and discussing it on the Fiction General Discussion board?

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

break

[ Edited ]
I'm in "chapters 70ties" and I am going to take a short break and read some other books in between. Sorry to say but this is getting too boring (perhaps that would be the right word, although I am not totally sure). The book is too much of its own 'grand-statement' like a monument of itself and IMHO it leaves the reader behind.

I'd say that I agree with a lot of what the critics said against it, but I think those who saw the genius in it were also right.

I definitely see the value in reading the book and wish to persist but it gets just too uninspiring. Reading it is like chewing a whalemeat.

I am not a friend of the approach to jump some chapters because it misses the point with the book. Each short chapter can have a gold nugget in it and the book should be read as it is. No one tells you to jump this and that in Tolstoy etc.

I feel that reading this book is just a long climbing and then it all collapses under the water in a couple of chapters. As Melville said himself: after all blubber is just blubber. A lots of the factual info it too old now (we know much more nowadays). I also hope other people who are reading the book now start posting more so that the discussion takes off.

CU soon shipmates
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-12-200705:13 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: break

We'll miss you Ziki:smileysad: Melville also jumped ship!

There are two books here I think - one full of often boring facts and the other full of philosophy and action. I have been sticking to the latter as the facts on cetology do not really interest me (they might when I come back from the Canaries:smileyhappy:). If I feel I have missed something I go back. As you say, it is all too easy to drown in the blubber. (There are those who dip in and out of Tolstoy or only see the romance in it - perhaps all large books have this drawback.)

ziki wrote:
I'm in "chapters 70ties" and I am going to take a short break and read some other books in between. Sorry to say but this is getting too boring (perhaps that would be the right word, although I am not totally sure). The book is too much of its own 'grand-statement' like a monument of itself and IMHO it leaves the reader behind.

I'd say that I agree with a lot of what the critics said against it, but I think those who saw the genius in it were also right.

I definitely see the value in reading the book and wish to persist but it gets just too uninspiring. Reading it is like chewing a whalemeat.

I am not a friend of the approach to jump some chapters because it misses the point with the book. Each short chapter can have a gold nugget in it and the book should be read as it is. No one tells you to jump this and that in Tolstoy etc.

I feel that reading this book is just a long climbing and then it all collapses under the water in a couple of chapters. As Melville said himself: after all blubber is just blubber. A lots of the factual info it too old now (we know much more nowadays). I also hope other people who are reading the book now start posting more so that the discussion takes off.

CU soon shipmates
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-12-200705:13 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Sena Jeter Naslund's AHAB'S WIFE

As it is, it seems readers here are finding just getting through Moby Dick a challenge, and perhaps wouldn't want more of Ahab so soon afterward!

Choisya wrote:
Not too keen pmath - thanks for finding it though. Sounds a bit too romantic for cynical old Moi:smileyhappy:

pmath wrote:

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Reading Schedule

Yes, so I think this book needs to be read slowly, over a period of eight (not four) weeks, something like this:

Chapters 1-17: December 11-17
Chapters 18-34: December 18-24
Chapters 35-51: December 25-31
Chapters 52-68: January 1-7
Chapters 69-85: January 8-14
Chapters 86-102: January 15-21
Chapters 103-119: January 22-28
Chapter 120-Epilogue: January 29-February 4

Choisya wrote:
There are two books here I think - one full of often boring facts and the other full of philosophy and action.

ziki wrote:
The book is too much of its own 'grand-statement' like a monument of itself and IMHO it leaves the reader behind.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

ha, like a whale I just need to come up for air and spout some, heheh
z.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Reading Schedule

[ Edited ]
thanks pmath, you're wise...given I started after the 26th I see that I have some time on the plus side...I think you're right, slow makes it....otherwise I just choke on it and get not my knickers but my head in the twist.

z.

Message Edited by ziki on 01-12-200704:21 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Just pour some more rum into your harpoon socket ziki! Not tea this time - we aren't reading genteel Virginiia Woolf:smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:
ha, like a whale I just need to come up for air and spout some, heheh
z.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

LOL, all right shipmate, avast.....I might catch the second breath...
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

meanwhile....Food talk with Choisya and who ever wants to chat about other things but whales

[ Edited ]
Chois,
today I found a recipe in an English vegetarian cookbook by Rose Elliot (Brit she is I believe) for Christmas pudding made with butter, not suet. I think I will try that, even if Christmas is now gone.

I stumbled on the suet thing....

BTW today I made a chili con carne ( new recipe from a cookbook with Swedish food of all things) and it was just ...well... orgasmic...very good and easy to make (made with ground meat). Different from the recipe I had when you cut bits of meat. I will now reread Karen Blixen (Danish) Babette's Feast. It is a great story.

You posted a link that Italians eat fish during Christmas. It has to do with religion, BOb said. Czechs do that, too, eat fish but they eat carp. I was just reading about it.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-14-200705:01 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: meanwhile....Food talk with Choisya and who ever wants to chat about other things but whales

I am sure Xmas pud can be made with butter Ziki although it won't have the distinctive flavour of suet. Let me know what you think - make one with butter and one with suet perhaps? Suet does make a difference to the light texture of the pud as well as to the taste. It has a lower melting point than butter and so combines with the ingredients more slowly. At least that's what my grandma said:smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:
Chois,
today I found a recipe in an English vegetarian cookbook by Rose Elliot (Brit she is I believe) for Christmas pudding made with butter, not suet. I think I will try that, even if Christmas is now gone.

I stumbled on the suet thing....

BTW today I made a chili con carne ( new recipe from a cookbook with Swedish food of all things) and it was just ...well... orgasmic...very good and easy to make (made with ground meat). Different from the recipe I had when you cut bits of meat. I will now reread Karen Blixen (Danish) Babette's Feast. It is a great story.

You posted a link that Italians eat fish during Christmas. It has to do with religion, BOb said. Czechs do that, too, eat fish but they eat carp. I was just reading about it.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-14-200705:01 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

pudding

I would think she was right, your grandma....there is a lot of chemistry involved in cooking.

z.
New User
Rocklet
0 Kudos

A bit too late, but... hello

Ah! If only I had found you all a couple of months ago!

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books, but it has been so long since I read it that I pretty much would have to (and want to) read it again to participate in any discussion. But it looks like I am two or three months behind everyone.

How long will this group remain up on the site, and will it tbe archived?
I am a stay-at-home dad and currently am recovering from surgery, so I have a little bit of time on my hands.

I'll pip in every now and then, though!

-Rocklet
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 914 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: