Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahab in Lahaina?

A friend told me that there is a statue of Ahab in Lahaina on Maui?
Is there?
I went snorkling to Molokini (no whales) but Ahab in that case escaped me. No luck with google now either... :-(

ziki
tpm
Contributor
tpm
0 Kudos

Re: Queequeg

ziki wrote:
Hi Todd, welcome. Not a silly post at all. I simply settled on "kwee-kweg".
It's good to verify that here.

ziki

Well it's good to know I wasn't completely off base.

The "silly" element reminded me of what one of my engineering professors said to a fellow student: "You know, they say there are no stupid questions, but that one was really close."
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: joy of cooking- off topic

Oh, I wasn't on that board. Well, she'll be happy about the endorsement.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

asking questions

[ Edited ]

tpm wrote:Well it's good to know I wasn't completely off base.

You never are. 'To read is to think independently', something like that was said by Vargas Llosa [=bargas yossa]

Know that the authorities can't easily control people who read a lot! (I guess B&N experienced it recently with us few hard nuts here, heheh, when we were protesting about this new board).

Therefore [they=someone afraid] murdered Politkovskaja (journalist) in Russia last fall...ah, we could go on.

I must dare to ask 'stupid' questions here. What is a stupid question? Any question is neutral. "Stupid" question is a cover up for a self sabotaging judgemental approach to my own ability to think. When you take that path you sort of kick the chair from under your butt. Therefore read and comment, wi(l)dely!

:-)
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-05-200708:27 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Gaugin

[ Edited ]
Choisya, here in this link...scrole..there is a stamp 90F (modern) showing a woman in a chair and it really reminds you of what Gaugin could have been looking at...

http://www.janeresture.com/polyhome/index.htm

Message Edited by ziki on 01-09-200701:05 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Gaugin

Thanks ziki - nice music too.

ziki wrote:
Choisya, here in this link...scrole..there is a stamp 90F (modern) showing a woman in a chair and it really reminds you of what Gaugin could have been looking at...

http://www.janeresture.com/polyhome/index.htm

Message Edited by ziki on 01-09-200701:05 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Sena Jeter Naslund's AHAB'S WIFE

Is anyone interested in reading Sena Jeter Naslund's Ahab's Wife, or, The Star-Gazer in February, and discussing it on the Fiction General Discussion board?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780060838744
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Sena Jeter Naslund's AHAB'S WIFE

Not too keen pmath - thanks for finding it though. Sounds a bit too romantic for cynical old Moi:smileyhappy:

pmath wrote:
Is anyone interested in reading Sena Jeter Naslund's Ahab's Wife, or, The Star-Gazer in February, and discussing it on the Fiction General Discussion board?

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

break

[ Edited ]
I'm in "chapters 70ties" and I am going to take a short break and read some other books in between. Sorry to say but this is getting too boring (perhaps that would be the right word, although I am not totally sure). The book is too much of its own 'grand-statement' like a monument of itself and IMHO it leaves the reader behind.

I'd say that I agree with a lot of what the critics said against it, but I think those who saw the genius in it were also right.

I definitely see the value in reading the book and wish to persist but it gets just too uninspiring. Reading it is like chewing a whalemeat.

I am not a friend of the approach to jump some chapters because it misses the point with the book. Each short chapter can have a gold nugget in it and the book should be read as it is. No one tells you to jump this and that in Tolstoy etc.

I feel that reading this book is just a long climbing and then it all collapses under the water in a couple of chapters. As Melville said himself: after all blubber is just blubber. A lots of the factual info it too old now (we know much more nowadays). I also hope other people who are reading the book now start posting more so that the discussion takes off.

CU soon shipmates
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-12-200705:13 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: break

We'll miss you Ziki:smileysad: Melville also jumped ship!

There are two books here I think - one full of often boring facts and the other full of philosophy and action. I have been sticking to the latter as the facts on cetology do not really interest me (they might when I come back from the Canaries:smileyhappy:). If I feel I have missed something I go back. As you say, it is all too easy to drown in the blubber. (There are those who dip in and out of Tolstoy or only see the romance in it - perhaps all large books have this drawback.)

ziki wrote:
I'm in "chapters 70ties" and I am going to take a short break and read some other books in between. Sorry to say but this is getting too boring (perhaps that would be the right word, although I am not totally sure). The book is too much of its own 'grand-statement' like a monument of itself and IMHO it leaves the reader behind.

I'd say that I agree with a lot of what the critics said against it, but I think those who saw the genius in it were also right.

I definitely see the value in reading the book and wish to persist but it gets just too uninspiring. Reading it is like chewing a whalemeat.

I am not a friend of the approach to jump some chapters because it misses the point with the book. Each short chapter can have a gold nugget in it and the book should be read as it is. No one tells you to jump this and that in Tolstoy etc.

I feel that reading this book is just a long climbing and then it all collapses under the water in a couple of chapters. As Melville said himself: after all blubber is just blubber. A lots of the factual info it too old now (we know much more nowadays). I also hope other people who are reading the book now start posting more so that the discussion takes off.

CU soon shipmates
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-12-200705:13 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Sena Jeter Naslund's AHAB'S WIFE

As it is, it seems readers here are finding just getting through Moby Dick a challenge, and perhaps wouldn't want more of Ahab so soon afterward!

Choisya wrote:
Not too keen pmath - thanks for finding it though. Sounds a bit too romantic for cynical old Moi:smileyhappy:

pmath wrote:

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Reading Schedule

Yes, so I think this book needs to be read slowly, over a period of eight (not four) weeks, something like this:

Chapters 1-17: December 11-17
Chapters 18-34: December 18-24
Chapters 35-51: December 25-31
Chapters 52-68: January 1-7
Chapters 69-85: January 8-14
Chapters 86-102: January 15-21
Chapters 103-119: January 22-28
Chapter 120-Epilogue: January 29-February 4

Choisya wrote:
There are two books here I think - one full of often boring facts and the other full of philosophy and action.

ziki wrote:
The book is too much of its own 'grand-statement' like a monument of itself and IMHO it leaves the reader behind.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

ha, like a whale I just need to come up for air and spout some, heheh
z.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Reading Schedule

[ Edited ]
thanks pmath, you're wise...given I started after the 26th I see that I have some time on the plus side...I think you're right, slow makes it....otherwise I just choke on it and get not my knickers but my head in the twist.

z.

Message Edited by ziki on 01-12-200704:21 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Just pour some more rum into your harpoon socket ziki! Not tea this time - we aren't reading genteel Virginiia Woolf:smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:
ha, like a whale I just need to come up for air and spout some, heheh
z.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

LOL, all right shipmate, avast.....I might catch the second breath...
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

meanwhile....Food talk with Choisya and who ever wants to chat about other things but whales

[ Edited ]
Chois,
today I found a recipe in an English vegetarian cookbook by Rose Elliot (Brit she is I believe) for Christmas pudding made with butter, not suet. I think I will try that, even if Christmas is now gone.

I stumbled on the suet thing....

BTW today I made a chili con carne ( new recipe from a cookbook with Swedish food of all things) and it was just ...well... orgasmic...very good and easy to make (made with ground meat). Different from the recipe I had when you cut bits of meat. I will now reread Karen Blixen (Danish) Babette's Feast. It is a great story.

You posted a link that Italians eat fish during Christmas. It has to do with religion, BOb said. Czechs do that, too, eat fish but they eat carp. I was just reading about it.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-14-200705:01 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: meanwhile....Food talk with Choisya and who ever wants to chat about other things but whales

I am sure Xmas pud can be made with butter Ziki although it won't have the distinctive flavour of suet. Let me know what you think - make one with butter and one with suet perhaps? Suet does make a difference to the light texture of the pud as well as to the taste. It has a lower melting point than butter and so combines with the ingredients more slowly. At least that's what my grandma said:smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:
Chois,
today I found a recipe in an English vegetarian cookbook by Rose Elliot (Brit she is I believe) for Christmas pudding made with butter, not suet. I think I will try that, even if Christmas is now gone.

I stumbled on the suet thing....

BTW today I made a chili con carne ( new recipe from a cookbook with Swedish food of all things) and it was just ...well... orgasmic...very good and easy to make (made with ground meat). Different from the recipe I had when you cut bits of meat. I will now reread Karen Blixen (Danish) Babette's Feast. It is a great story.

You posted a link that Italians eat fish during Christmas. It has to do with religion, BOb said. Czechs do that, too, eat fish but they eat carp. I was just reading about it.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-14-200705:01 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

pudding

I would think she was right, your grandma....there is a lot of chemistry involved in cooking.

z.
New User
Rocklet
0 Kudos

A bit too late, but... hello

Ah! If only I had found you all a couple of months ago!

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books, but it has been so long since I read it that I pretty much would have to (and want to) read it again to participate in any discussion. But it looks like I am two or three months behind everyone.

How long will this group remain up on the site, and will it tbe archived?
I am a stay-at-home dad and currently am recovering from surgery, so I have a little bit of time on my hands.

I'll pip in every now and then, though!

-Rocklet
Users Online
Currently online:58 members 353 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: