Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: A bit too late, but... hello

Hello and Welcome Rocklet! Sorry to hear you have had surgery and hoipe you will quickly recover. Don't worry - we will be here for some time yet as some folks are only a few chapters through the book. It won't be archived for some time so get stuck in!:smileyhappy:

Rocklet wrote:
Ah! If only I had found you all a couple of months ago!

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books, but it has been so long since I read it that I pretty much would have to (and want to) read it again to participate in any discussion. But it looks like I am two or three months behind everyone.

How long will this group remain up on the site, and will it tbe archived?
I am a stay-at-home dad and currently am recovering from surgery, so I have a little bit of time on my hands.

I'll pip in every now and then, though!

-Rocklet

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Rocklet, do take advantage of that precious nap time to get some adult conversation with book lovers. We'll be sticking with Moby Dick through the month, so join in at any thread, even the ones that are just about whales.
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Rocklet,
I'm still reading the book myself, so if you've already read the book, you're already ahead of me!

Denise

Rocklet wrote:
Ah! If only I had found you all a couple of months ago!

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books, but it has been so long since I read it that I pretty much would have to (and want to) read it again to participate in any discussion. But it looks like I am two or three months behind everyone.

How long will this group remain up on the site, and will it tbe archived?
I am a stay-at-home dad and currently am recovering from surgery, so I have a little bit of time on my hands.

I'll pip in every now and then, though!

-Rocklet

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Rocklet, this is the right time....one is never finished with this book I am afraid.It looks to me like a rather circular biz, once I'll finish reading I feel like I'll be just about ready to start reading it again with a better chance of some understanding. LOL.

So if you start now...then one can join the discussion at the earlier chapters again...or you can reread parts, it'll come back to you.
BN says a group is opened as long as any contributions are posted, never fear, it'll be here as long as we want, they are kind here :-)

welcome

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:
Rocklet, do take advantage of that precious nap time to get some adult conversation with book lovers.

adult conversation...hmmm...that goes for Bob. I represent the group of those who are silly and never get anything right about the right whale.

;-)
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

community room: Where is everyone?

I have to revive this heading that Choisya coined earlier:
We've lost some shipmates....leaky bucket, georgie, Todd. Drowned and missed.

I need to strengthen myself before the real chase starts after ch. 99 and I am ready to pass around my last bottle of rum.

Ahoy!

ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: community room: Where is everyone?

Yes, the name leaky bucket must have been prophetic!:smileysurprised: Perhaps they wil surface somewhere else:smileyhappy: I have a bottle of the best Bajan rum (from Barbados)in my cupboard - I'll break the seal and drink a toast to you all when we have all finished the chase. I finished the book last night and feel as if I have just swum the English Channel with one arm!

(BTW I am probably going to cancel my Tenerife trip because I have not been feeling too well and my doctor thinks I should put if off for awhile - so no whale sightings for me in March after all:smileysad:)

ziki wrote:
I have to revive this heading that Choisya coined earlier:
We've lost some shipmates....leaky bucket, georgie, Todd. Drowned and missed.

I need to strengthen myself before the real chase starts after ch. 99 and I am ready to pass around my last bottle of rum.

Ahoy!

ziki

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
(BTW I am probably going to cancel my Tenerife trip because I have not been feeling too well and my doctor thinks I should put if off for awhile - so no whale sightings for me in March after all:smileysad:)

I'm sorry to hear that, Choisya!
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

You're too much!

ziki wrote:

fanuzzir wrote:
Rocklet, do take advantage of that precious nap time to get some adult conversation with book lovers.

adult conversation...hmmm...that goes for Bob. I represent the group of those who are silly and never get anything right about the right whale.

;-)
ziki

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Choisya, I share everyone's sorrow that you will not be making your trip. On the other hand, we're glad you're here for a rousing pass round the bottle discussion of Moby Dick to the end!
Bob
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: COMMUNITY ROOM for Moby Dick

After January 07 I have a new criteria for judging humanity...those who read M-D and those who didn't.
That question should be in each employers' agenda, heheh.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Choisya, I hope your health improves. Just check our Queequeg!
Well, we'll keep catching fish on the net.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

hast seen the White Whale?

[ Edited ]

fanuzzir wrote:
You're too much!

hahahha, I think I heard it before but hist hark, why not stay with Moby-Dick on such a superb occasion?: sHe's too crazywitty for my sanity! (BN ed. p.503)

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-27-200707:44 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: COMMUNITY ROOM for Moby Dick

Not just employers Ziki - politicians, world leaders!

ziki wrote:
After January 07 I have a new criteria for judging humanity...those who read M-D and those who didn't.
That question should be in each employers' agenda, heheh.

ziki

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: COMMUNITY ROOM for Moby Dick Laurel - A Must See!

Laurel: I have just finished watching a new BBC2 TV production on the life of Tchaikovsky and it was SUPERB! Ed Stoppard plays Tch and it is expertly presented by the conductor Charles Hazlewood, filmed in St Petersburg and features the Marinsky Young Philharmonic Orchestra of St Petersburg with the Piano Concerto No 1 being played by a stunning female pianist with arms so slim you would not think she could hit those magnificent chords! Extracts so far from Romeo & Juliet, The Sleeping Beauty with Natasha Peremsky. In two parts. I hope you get it over there!
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Laurel: I have just finished watching a new BBC2 TV production on the life of Tchaikovsky and it was SUPERB! Ed Stoppard plays Tch and it is expertly presented by the conductor Charles Hazlewood, filmed in St Petersburg and features the Marinsky Young Philharmonic Orchestra of St Petersburg with the Piano Concerto No 1 being played by a stunning female pianist with arms so slim you would not think she could hit those magnificent chords! Extracts so far from Romeo & Juliet, The Sleeping Beauty with Natasha Peremsky. In two parts. I hope you get it over there!

I read about it a couple of days ago, Choisya, and decided that I wanted to keep the old Soviet production in my mind. Who knows, though? I may succumb. I'm sure it will be available over here soon.

By the way, I watched my eighth or ninth DVD of Eugene Onegin the other night.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I think you will enjoy it Laurel just because it is filmed in Russia and all the musicians/dancers taking part are Russian. It certainly captures the intensity of Russia and of Tch. Eugene Onegin was one of the featured operas tonight.

Laurel wrote:

Choisya wrote:

I read about it a couple of days ago, Choisya, and decided that I wanted to keep the old Soviet production in my mind. Who knows, though? I may succumb. I'm sure it will be available over here soon.

By the way, I watched my eighth or ninth DVD of Eugene Onegin the other night.

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Did someone say Eugene Onegin? Pushkin's short stories are my favorites! "The Queen of Spades," "The Snowstorm," are without compare.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I don't think you will get an argument from myself or Laurel there Fanuzzir - we are both fans of Pushkin and Russian literature in general:smileyhappy:

fanuzzir wrote:
Did someone say Eugene Onegin? Pushkin's short stories are my favorites! "The Queen of Spades," "The Snowstorm," are without compare.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:

Oh! Oh! Oh! See if you can get someone to lead us into Pushkin. I'm even learning Russian so I can read him better. I haven't read "The Snowstorm." I'll try that next. Even his unfinished stories are fascinating (and frustrating).

I wonder if we're the only two Americans who like Pushkin and Chesterton both?
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 672 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: