Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: hi 007 (off all whaley topics)

I saw Craigh first in the movie where he played Sylvia Plath's husband....and now he sports the gun and splashes in champagne...hmmm...I've got a free movie ticket from my neighbour yesterday and he said "go and see bond, whatever"...they probably thought I needed that treatment after the whale-adventure. :-D

ziki
Contributor
Ana_Phylaxis
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS for Moby Dick

I've tried reading Moby Dick many a time but I've never made it all the way through, perhaps because I love the beginning so much I couldn't bear to move on. The best times I've ever had reading the first third of the book were on camping trips my husband and I took with our 3 boys. We'd camp in Mystic Connecticut and go to the Seaport during the day, climb about the Charles W. Morgan for a feel of a whaling ship, then head back to the tent at night and read by flashlight until all 3 had drifted off to sleep with the sound of the wind against the tent sides. Then it was onto New Bedford, Cape Cod and Nantucket, visiting whaling museums and sea captains' homes. And each night there was another chapter and the sound of surf and the blowing of the wind at night. It was magical.

But a vacation never was enough to finish the book. I wonder if I should try again.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

What an absoslutely lovely idea on a camping trip Ana! I must commend it to my children, who all take my grandchildren camping, sometimes by the North Sea, which is also used for whaling. Not quite Nantucket though:smileyhappy: Do try to finish it with us - there are still a couple of week's to go here because Fanuzzir has pleaded for extra time:smileyhappy:

Ana_Phylaxis wrote:
I've tried reading Moby Dick many a time but I've never made it all the way through, perhaps because I love the beginning so much I couldn't bear to move on. The best times I've ever had reading the first third of the book were on camping trips my husband and I took with our 3 boys. We'd camp in Mystic Connecticut and go to the Seaport during the day, climb about the Charles W. Morgan for a feel of a whaling ship, then head back to the tent at night and read by flashlight until all 3 had drifted off to sleep with the sound of the wind against the tent sides. Then it was onto New Bedford, Cape Cod and Nantucket, visiting whaling museums and sea captains' homes. And each night there was another chapter and the sound of surf and the blowing of the wind at night. It was magical.

But a vacation never was enough to finish the book. I wonder if I should try again.

Contributor
Ana_Phylaxis
0 Kudos

It will always be my favorite vacation memory. I have also camped by the North Sea up in Scotland--fabulous--but we didn't take our Moby Dick with us. The Outer Banks of North Carolina were good for it as well though--lots of wind in the tent. It was easy to picture giant sails and the children just loved it even though they were very young--the youngest was 3 at the time. Their father read it--nice masculine voice to carry the text. I just found this website today, so I think I will try to catch up with you all on the book. It is an adventure to read it--a whole world to dive into. I hope your children do that for your grandchildren.

Ana
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Ana_Phylaxis wrote:

Hi, thanks for your wonderful post. I think you should try again. I felt almost cheated when the style changed after the first third but not until I finished the book did I understand that is was necessary. Jump in and become one who read the whole monstrous epic!

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Ana_Phylaxis wrote:
It will always be my favorite vacation memory. I have also camped by the North Sea up in Scotland--fabulous--but we didn't take our Moby Dick with us. The Outer Banks of North Carolina were good for it as well though--lots of wind in the tent. It was easy to picture giant sails and the children just loved it even though they were very young--the youngest was 3 at the time. Their father read it--nice masculine voice to carry the text.

this is soooo cool!
ziki :-)
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Wanderlust

Ana_Phylaxis wrote:

I can't tell you how your post effected me, Ana. Your family camping trips on the beach, in the midst of the elements and with the aid of a great book, are just so evocative. I love shorelines as well, and have spent lots of time in Cape Cod, Cornwall in England, Brittany in France, and Skye in Scotland--all rugged coasts and spectacular views. But I've never camped on any of them. I've got a dream of doing that in the Northwest US in Olympic national park, so anyone with any experience out there please let me know.
Bob
Contributor
Ana_Phylaxis
0 Kudos

Re: Wanderlust

Dear Fannuzir

You have to camp and in a tent, on some wild and rugged beach is best, where the sound of the surf and the wind on the canvas is all you hear at night. If you go to the Outer Banks at Oregon Inlet in the off season you will be almost alone and at night you can wander around the campground looking straight up into the stars and it is the most amazing sight. You are staring straight up into the wilderness--from the top of your head to forever there is nothing. Then go back to your tent and read those words and you can really feel the power of the sea all around you. I don't know the Northwest unfortunately, but I imagine the same thing is possible. The Outer Banks have the privilege of stretching way out to sea in a great arc so that all the busy city lights are a hundred miles away. Cornwall is a beautiful coast too, but I never camped there.

I can't seem to find my copy of Moby Dick, so I may have to buy a new one tomorrow and try to catch up with you guys.

Ana
Contributor
bryan87613
0 Kudos

Hi all,
I'm new to the Barnes and Noble book clubs and started here because I recently finished reading Moby Dick.

Bryan
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Yes, Cornwall is a beautiful county with lots of good camping places. It is the 'leg' you see on the UK map sticking out into the Atlantic and the English Channel. My younger son lives in the neighbouring country, Devon, so I have spent many happy hours on that rugged coast.

Ana_Phylaxis wrote:
Dear Fannuzir

You have to camp and in a tent, on some wild and rugged beach is best, where the sound of the surf and the wind on the canvas is all you hear at night. If you go to the Outer Banks at Oregon Inlet in the off season you will be almost alone and at night you can wander around the campground looking straight up into the stars and it is the most amazing sight. You are staring straight up into the wilderness--from the top of your head to forever there is nothing. Then go back to your tent and read those words and you can really feel the power of the sea all around you. I don't know the Northwest unfortunately, but I imagine the same thing is possible. The Outer Banks have the privilege of stretching way out to sea in a great arc so that all the busy city lights are a hundred miles away. Cornwall is a beautiful coast too, but I never camped there.

I can't seem to find my copy of Moby Dick, so I may have to buy a new one tomorrow and try to catch up with you guys.

Ana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Hi Bryan and Welcome Aboard!

bryan87613 wrote:
Hi all,
I'm new to the Barnes and Noble book clubs and started here because I recently finished reading Moby Dick.

Bryan

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Ana_Phylaxis wrote:
Dear Fannuzir

Ana

gosh, Bob like a lost Byron on the beach.
This is great.

As I said I actually tried to come to terms with the shore/ocean theme today in writing but it didn't jell.

Ana, definitely get some bargain Moby and ship, presto!

I didn't have a tent in Britany so I built a grotto house of stones on the slope. My friend had another solution, he charmed a beautiful French lady from Paris 10 years his senior and moved into her tent. Once holiday was over she gave me a free ride to Paris...what an 'out of line' summer that was.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Yes, Cornwall is a beautiful county with lots of good camping places. It is the 'leg' you see on the UK map sticking out into the Atlantic and the English Channel. My younger son lives in the neighbouring country, Devon, so I have spent many happy hours on that rugged coast.

Oh, I tell you my secret plan so it will not be so secret anymore...there is a hike along that WHOLE bonnie cost south to north. I made just a day trip there to the village on the slope (name,name help!)....touristy village nowadys but nice. I'd like to go around that whole part....not sure if from north to south or the other way round...but I think I'd like to have the ocean on the left side.
And I would again stop at that ourdoor theater carved into the hill, and preferably they would play Shakespeare's Moby Dick....life is too short for all the killing craziness of beauty in it.

Hast thou given up the canary whales?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bryan87613 wrote:
Hi all,

Bryan

Hi, it is good to start where you finish: Welcome!
How did you like the book? How did you feel after you read it?

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-30-200706:56 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

You are talking about the walk from Land's End (Cornwall, England) to John o'Groats, Scotland ziki, and the Minack theatre, built in the style of a Roman ampitheatre:-

http://www.jbutler.org.uk/e2e/

http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/attractions/minack/Welcome.html

I hope you get to do it sometime - I have only done parts of it.

ziki wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Oh, I tell you my secret plan so it will not be so secret anymore...there is a hike along that WHOLE bonnie cost south to north. I made just a day trip there to the village on the slope (name,name help!)....touristy village nowadys but nice. I'd like to go around that whole part....not sure if from north to south or the other way round...but I think I'd like to have the ocean on the left side.
And I would again stop at that ourdoor theater carved into the hill, and preferably they would play Shakespeare's Moby Dick....life is too short for all the killing craziness of beauty in it.

Hast thou given up the canary whales?

ziki

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Wanderlust -walk UK (off topic)

Hi,
yes the Minack theater, that's right, but the walk starts somewhere near Plymouth if not further out east (Poole?) and follows the coast all way around Lands End and up again and stops somewhere on the north past Hartland point...maybe to Barnstaple? About 600miles?
I never followed up on that idea of mine.

z.

---------
http://www.oceanarium.co.uk/index.asp
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Wanderlust -walk UK (off topic)

Ah you mean the South West Coast Path - I thought you meant the one walking the full length of mainland UK on the East coast. I did the bit around Hartland point the year before last and have a smashing photo of me there which I would post here if I could:smileyhappy: Only a comparative small part of the SW walk is in Cornwall, most is in Devon:-

http://www.traildatabase.org/sww/index.html

My younger son lives near Barnstaple (Braunton) and I do some of the walks around that area with him and my young grandchildren most years when I visit, although my legs aren't what they used to be:smileysad: (My elder son lives in Cumbria, near the Lake District, so I gets lots of opportunities for beautiful walks:smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:
Hi,
yes the Minack theater, that's right, but the walk starts somewhere near Plymouth if not further out east (Poole?) and follows the coast all way around Lands End and up again and stops somewhere on the north past Hartland point...maybe to Barnstaple? About 600miles?
I never followed up on that idea of mine.

z.

---------
http://www.oceanarium.co.uk/index.asp

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

walk UK (off topic)

[ Edited ]
yeah....that's it..thanks

http://www.southwestcoastpath.com/main/walks/index.cfm?fsa=dspWalkSearchShort

I like the 'sea company', magnificent views....and up and down it goes, indeed. I think I had some info stashed away but it seems to be lost now.

The walk up to Scottland would be nice,too, definitely!
z.

Message Edited by ziki on 01-31-200701:57 AM

ALK
Contributor
ALK
0 Kudos

Ana--I admire your username. It reminds me of Garrison Keillor's team of writer's--Sandy Beach, Neil Dupre, Guy Wire, etc.

Ana_Phylaxis wrote:
I've tried reading Moby Dick many a time but I've never made it all the way through,...
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

ALK wrote:
Ana--I admire your username. It reminds me of Garrison Keillor's team of writer's--Sandy Beach, Neil Dupre, Guy Wire, etc.

...but it means not such a pleasant thing in real life =fatal shock and possible death.

ziki
maybe too pragmatic
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 285 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: