Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

INTRODUCTIONS for Moby Dick

Here is a place to introduce ourselves!

I am Choisya from Over The Pond. I am a 74 year old retired widow living alone with my two cats and I have lots of time for posting stuff on these boards, which are a lifeline to me during my insomniac nights. I am about halfway through Moby Dick and am enjoying the superb writing very much. It is possible that I will close my eyes when the gory bits come as I am very squeamish!
Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS for Moby Dick

I have been a long time reader and sometime active participant in the Classics series in BNU. I think I started at the beginning with The scarlet Letter but was only active in about 5-8 discussions since I was still working and preparing for retirement and relocating back to the US. I had worked 15 years in Hong Kong. Now that I am very happily retired I hope to be a better contributor.

I have been trying to jump in for the last month but found in difficult. I started reading Whitman but got too far behind the discussion. Then I started The House of the Seven Gables and still lagged the discussion. I hope to finish the book in the next few days. I also purchased The Catcher in the Rye but that thread did not seem to catch on. I did read Frankenstein and most of the posts but lagged the discussion hopelessly. So I am very appreciative of the structure around MbD and will rush out to the closest B&N in the morning and get the book. With the start date of 12/5 (or 5/12) depending on your location I hope to be up to speed.

It took awhile to get the feel of the new format of BNU but it is getting easier. How you set up your board can help. I find that if a want to read an entire thread at one sitting it is best to use the 'threaded option' since it is easy to scroll down and read quickly. If I will read the thread in pieces and want to go to it each day the 'linear option' seems best since it is easy to see where you have been and what the new postings are. It is quite easy to switch back and forth.

Looking forward to the discussion.
Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

Oops, I meant the start date of 12/16 not 12/5.
Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

I think I have already lost all credibility. The start date is December 26, 2006 not any of the various dates I have mentioned.
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS for Moby Dick - Editing messages

I know what you mean about falling behind in discussions and giving up "the chase." That is why I never got into a lot of discussions.

You can edit your post and correct things. After you post go to "Options" at the top of your message and drop down the menu. You will see "Edit" at the top. Of course this only happens on your own posts.

We can't delete messages but we could go in and delete all the text and just enter something like [Message Deleted]. That will take care of the problem until they come up with something better.

Bucky
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

PaulK wrote:
I think I have already lost all credibility. The start date is December 26, 2006 not any of the various dates I have mentioned.

LOL Paul - welcome to the Wrong Date Club! I look forward to meeting you again when we start on the 26TH DECEMBER 2006!!! I think the structure that Bob Fanuzzir has so kindly put up for us will help to keep a good discussion going even if I will be closing my eyes when the gory bits come:smileyhappy:

I find the Linear Format listing Newest to Oldest posts the best way of keeping track of a discussion, especially if you also tick 'Email me when someone replies to this'Message' after you have posted. Or you can make that permanent within your Profile Preferences. That way you at least get an Email in your Inbox when someone replies to one of your posts.

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-10-200606:22 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS for Moby Dick - Editing messages

leakybucket wrote:
I know what you mean about falling behind in discussions and giving up "the chase." That is why I never got into a lot of discussions.

You can edit your post and correct things. After you post go to "Options" at the top of your message and drop down the menu. You will see "Edit" at the top. Of course this only happens on your own posts.

We can't delete messages but we could go in and delete all the text and just enter something like [Message Deleted]. That will take care of the problem until they come up with something better.

Bucky

Yes I have been editing this way Bucky but if you delete all the text and put Message deleted (as I did once) it confuses folks when it turns up somewhere! It is one of the things the techie people are looking into but I think they have so many things to take care of it will take them a lifetime - they might as well discuss Shakespeare:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Welcome PaulK

Welcome aboard, PaulK. I'm looking forward to reading Moby Dick with you.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Paul, I'm so happy to have you join our discussion. I was pleasantly surprised by the discovery of Hawthorne's House of the Seven Gables, and am sorry you were not able to join that. Congratulations on reading Moby Dick almost through. We're actually up and running, as you can see, and right now we're focussing on the first narrative section, on dry land, and contributing to the biography and footnotes/context sections. Hope to hear from you.
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I am Denise and I live in Colorado. I have not read Melville before and will be ordering my book (they sent me the wrong volume of Melville).

Denise
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Denise - I know you can't read the online version on the bus etc (!) but couldn't you print out a couple of chapters whilst you are waiting for the book to arrive? There may be a delay because of the Xmas post:smileysad:

donyskiw wrote:
I am Denise and I live in Colorado. I have not read Melville before and will be ordering my book (they sent me the wrong volume of Melville).

Denise

Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

I'm Willowy and I have never even attempted to read Moby Dick because I was intimidated by the size! It has been one of my goals to read it so I'm glad we voted to do this book because I think it will be easier to read it with a group (even though I think I voted for Catcher In the Rye :smileyhappy: !) But I'm looking forward to starting and discussing with you all!
PS. Sorry Choisya! I read your note on where everyone was- I would have been posting but I didn't know it was starting already and I had a few family issues that popped up! But I'm here and will be posting!
-----------Willowy----------
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

willowy wrote:
I'm Willowy and I have never even attempted to read Moby Dick because I was intimidated by the size! It has been one of my goals to read it so I'm glad we voted to do this book because I think it will be easier to read it with a group (even though I think I voted for Catcher In the Rye :smileyhappy: !) But I'm looking forward to starting and discussing with you all!
PS. Sorry Choisya! I read your note on where everyone was- I would have been posting but I didn't know it was starting already and I had a few family issues that popped up! But I'm here and will be posting!

Good for you Willowy and Welcome! Sorry to hear of your family difficulties, especially at this time of year. I hope they are now resolved.

I know I jumped the gun over the date but in point of fact Fanuzzir has now had to bring the board forward because other boards were failing SO let's make this a really good, discussive board and do him proud!:smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Not at work, Choisya. That would be actually be unethical since I'd be using their resources. My home computer isn't hooked up right now and the printer needs a new cartrige (which costs $$$). I'll just have to wait and join you guys closer to the first of the year. This is a looonnng book so the board will be up for a while.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

You're doing proud, you know. And I'm glad we're still discussing Thoreau, by the way. Let's drag that out until the new year and set a record for duration.
Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

It's only me, holyboy, signing in for the MD discussion. I'm happy to see the discussion started already. This is one of those books I read long ago. I'm looking forward to reading it again and discussing it with you.
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Ahoy Maties!

[ Edited ]
Arrrrgh!

So ye be wanting to read Moby Dick, eh? Well sub-subs, hoist yer hearts from yer souls and get'em to Sea world, where we teach fish to jump in perpendicular fashion, as whales do in the briny deep!

Chad

Message Edited by chad on 12-15-200601:44 PM

Frequent Contributor
mef6395
0 Kudos

hello,
Call me Lou
:smileyhappy:
I'm 43 yrs old, I live in France (married to a Frenchman). I have participated in several earlier B &N book discussion groups. I missed out on Frankenstein because I went away on a long holiday to the Philippines (my home country) and California. But i'm glad to be back and all ready to join in the fun of discussing Moby Dick. I wasn't able to go pick up the book at the public library right away so right now I'm still only on chapter 3. But I should be able to catch up. I'm looking forward to our exchange of ideas.
Frequent Contributor
leakybucket
0 Kudos

Re: INTRODUCTIONS for Moby Dick - Hi Lou

mef6395 wrote:
hello,
Call me Lou
:smileyhappy:
I'm 43 yrs old, I live in France (married to a Frenchman). I have participated in several earlier B &N book discussion groups. I missed out on Frankenstein because I went away on a long holiday to the Philippines (my home country) and California. But i'm glad to be back and all ready to join in the fun of discussing Moby Dick. I wasn't able to go pick up the book at the public library right away so right now I'm still only on chapter 3. But I should be able to catch up. I'm looking forward to our exchange of ideas.

Hi Lou, welcome aboard! You don't have to rush the reading--Melville isn't a very fast read! We don't actually start discussing the book until December 26th and then only the first 100-150 pages or so. Right now we are getting to know one another and having some preliminary discussions that have actually turned out to be quite interesting and informative.

It seems everyone I have met from the Philippines speaks fluent English--and very fast. Was that your first language? I live in southern California. I just started learning Spanish (which might even be one of your languages) at the advanced age of 66 so I can talk to my neighbors.

Bucky
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

PaulK wrote:

ROFL, who knows Paul. You didn't loose any credibility at all, on contrary. I can actually relate to what you said in your original post and the confusion was pervasive all over. I myself ended up with many ordered books but no possible sharing.

But Hawthorne that you mentioned is taxing (also due to the fact that Melville was friend with him.I like these connections). Maybe I get to the 'gable house'first when the main peloton had already left...elsewhere...

Now MbD is not a book I would ever tackle on my own so perhaps such a reading project will work much better with a few mates who are on the same mission simultaneously. I got more interested due to the pre-discussion here seeing how many artists found interesting cues in the book, musicians, dramatist, painter (Laurel's original sound link)...

I think that if I do not take the book too seriously I might have the best starting point to actually discover its qualities.

ziki
presently on the B&N edge
falling off or not... :-)
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 300 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: