Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Impressions from reading this book

The MD is like an ocean itself. Many things are hidden that you need a lot of patience (possibly time) to catch. However, that fact makes the reading also more rewarding because it leaves you, the reader, free to co-create.
In modern books that have a lot of entertaining value and are technically an easy read you are also left beached.

It's not easy (or actually possible) to swim across the ocean and in that the whole style of the book is a metaphor of its own content. I suspect it was unintentional but I can't be sure. Melville is not around and Bill the lit editor here can't ask him over to join this BN club in order to clarify that question, hehe.

I also fight with the book, alternativelly it carries me for awhile or it threatens to bore me, and it takes a conscious commitment to conquer it. All that exemplifies a behaviour that would do on board of a ship, I guess. Hard work, too, LOL. But if you think about it, it is consistent in its expression.

I wonder who or what is the Moby Dick a symbol of, for you?

ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Impressions from reading this book

[ Edited ]
I certainly agree that the book is like the ocean itself and gives us and up and down ride on its waves. It certainly deserves to be called an Epic and I find it hard to believe that it took so long for Melville to be appreciated. I like books like this, that are 'deep' and difficult to get into, where there are long narrative passages and comparatively little dialogue. And I just skip the boring bits unless later I feel I need to know about them - like skipping the technical bits about whaling or the harpooning of Moby Dick and then having to peep back at them because I've missed something important:smileyhappy: It is an enjoyable read and has been a very good communal experience too - we've been All Aboard Me Hearties and looking for Fanuzzir to Blow from time to time:smileyvery-happy:

Re the naming of Moby Dick - it seems the origin is uncertain:-

http://www.melville.org/mobyname.htm

(Mocha is a port on the Red Sea and is where we get Mocha coffee from:smileyhappy:)

ziki wrote:
The MD is like an ocean itself. Many things are hidden that you need a lot of patience (possibly time) to catch. However, that fact makes the reading also more rewarding because it leaves you, the reader, free to co-create.
In modern books that have a lot of entertaining value and are technically an easy read you are also left beached.

It's not easy (or actually possible) to swim across the ocean and in that the whole style of the book is a metaphor of its own content. I suspect it was unintentional but I can't be sure. Melville is not around and Bill the lit editor here can't ask him over to join this BN club in order to clarify that question, hehe.

I also fight with the book, alternativelly it carries me for awhile or it threatens to bore me, and it takes a conscious commitment to conquer it. All that exemplifies a behaviour that would do on board of a ship, I guess. Hard work, too, LOL. But if you think about it, it is consistent in its expression.

I wonder who or what is the Moby Dick a symbol of, for you?

ziki

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-06-200709:14 PM

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Ziki wrote:
I also fight with the book, alternativelly it carries me for awhile or it threatens to bore me, and it takes a conscious commitment to conquer it.

I share this feeling. Just when you feel you have reached an impasse, Melville inserts a scene of dramatic power that illuminates relationships and makes clear each and every person's stake in the adventure. Then I go on to struggle some more.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

fanuzzir wrote:
Ziki wrote:
I also fight with the book, alternativelly it carries me for awhile or it threatens to bore me, and it takes a conscious commitment to conquer it.

I share this feeling. Just when you feel you have reached an impasse, Melville inserts a scene of dramatic power that illuminates relationships and makes clear each and every person's stake in the adventure. Then I go on to struggle some more.

Maybe the impasses are for a future generation!
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Excellent thought Laurel!

Laurel wrote:

fanuzzir wrote:
Ziki wrote:

Maybe the impasses are for a future generation!

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Poor Melville. His biggest audience will always lie somewhere in the future.
kik
New User
kik
0 Kudos

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one struggling to read Moby Dick. I love a good "ocean" adventure story. It seems all writers of this genre refer to Moby Dick.
After several failed attempts at completing the book I do feel that I've been "riding the waves". I have never experienced a book that could be so enjoyable yet so annoying! The power of this epic novel is apparent in the fact that I continue to pull it from the shelf and dive back in.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

kik wrote: I have never experienced a book that could be so enjoyable yet so annoying!

hahah, you hit the nail on the head. My words!

I must admit I am grateful for the short chapters...somehow it helps me psychologically to feel on the ball..LOL

ziki
Contributor
bryan87613
0 Kudos

Re: Impressions from reading this book--Symphony

I am not very good at navigating this site and can't remember who said that the Chapter, Symphony, reminded him/her or the Lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem.

I listened to the piece and the music does fit the mood of the chapter. In addition to the music, the words of the Lacrimosa also offer a counterpoint to dialogue between Starbuck and Ahab in that chapter:

That day is one of weeping,
on which shall rise again from the ashes
the guilty man, to be judged.
Therefore spare this one, O God,
merciful Lord Jesus:
Give them rest. Amen.
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

bryan87613 wrote:
I am not very good at navigating this site and can't remember who said that the Chapter, Symphony, reminded him/her or the Lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem.

I listened to the piece and the music does fit the mood of the chapter. In addition to the music, the words of the Lacrimosa also offer a counterpoint to dialogue between Starbuck and Ahab in that chapter:

That day is one of weeping,
on which shall rise again from the ashes
the guilty man, to be judged.
Therefore spare this one, O God,
merciful Lord Jesus:
Give them rest. Amen.

The theme of the Lacrimosa is the medieval plainchant Dies Irae. That tune depicts the last judgement--the last trumpet summoning souls before the throne of God, where the saved will be delivered and the unsaved cast into eternal flames.

And, isn't that fitting as a leadup to the end of the book.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Now you guys are making the next movie outa MB, nice!

What music fits with different chapters? What a project!
Guide me, please.

ziki
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:

Guide me, please.

ziki

Last three chapters: Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, first movement--for its drama.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Ooooohhh, this is wild!

....then we take Symphony #5 when they finally spot Moby!!! Sats 1.

and Moby is spouting -ladila-tipdip- and then comes Ahab: tatatadddda!

Splendid,hahah

-------

and then it must be some Arvo Pärt till the birth of the whale in the eye of the circle.

ziks
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

friery wrote:

ziki wrote:

Guide me, please.

ziki

Last three chapters: Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, first movement--for its drama.

Or Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Symphony- addendum

But OK Pärt and Bethoven mix's daring....

but if you stay with B-guy then I have an incredibly slow gloomy interpretation of pianosonata#14 i ciss-moll,opus 27 nr2: sats 1

(if it is a right recording you have both the depth and the tipsy thin light parts....play with the clichés)

z.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

--Symphony--

[ Edited ]
What I like about Bethoven is that he is both so heroic and he has also the inner passion....the *somewhat* restrained part that fits Ahab, too, with all the undertones....I guess I am sold on him with the tingling pianoo...oh, I die...

(parts of the "kaiser concerto"....there is Pip!)

z.
let's go Europe:
http://www.styriarte.com/index_en.php/trade/productview/307/1

Message Edited by ziki on 02-01-200709:14 PM

Users Online
Currently online:21 members 504 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: