Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
book-nut
Posts: 131
Registered: ‎11-25-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Moby Dick: All Aboard the Pequod, Chapters 28-54

I also think I want to read it again. There's so much to be gained from it; there's so much happening at every level; I want to finish it, than go back and read it slowly, rather than hurry through because I want to know how it will end! (lol!!!) and no, I didn't "peek ahead"!

Actually, I do have an idea how it will all end, because I read my 10-year-old the kids version... but still...
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
Posts: 1,014
Registered: ‎10-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Comparing chapters 36 and 42

That is what makes the novel so thoughtful and challenging. Ishmael is tremendously appealing, self-aware, and suspicious of Ahab's obsessions. And yet you are right; he is a cog in the machine, and part of an obedient and purposeful crew. He seems trapped with all that knowledge and self-awareness in an environment that cannot possibly reward them . . .
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

3 pics of cpt Ahab

[ Edited ]
ahab 1

ahab 2

ahab 3

Message Edited by ziki on 01-26-200704:40 AM

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

booknut-reading



book-nut wrote: This book club is moving me outside my "comfort zone", so to speak.




That's a good way to put it..it was a leap of faith for me...now like Ahab I am chasing the end.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

georgie?

georgie.....where did you go?

ziki
Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 3 pics of cpt Ahab

ahab 4

http://media.pbs.org/ramgen/odyssey/ahab.rm?altplay=ahab.rm

http://www.pbs.org/odyssey/class/mobydick.html



ziki wrote:
ahab 1

ahab 2

ahab 3

Message Edited by ziki on 01-26-200704:40 AM




"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 3 pics of cpt Ahab

LOL. 1 is too young and 3 is too handsome:smileyhappy: Loved the Mobyle phone!



ziki wrote:
ahab 1

ahab 2

ahab 3

Message Edited by ziki on 01-26-200704:40 AM




Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 3 pics of cpt Ahab

Great video clip Laurel - which film is that from? I think he makes a better and more sinister Ahab than Gregory Peck. Good audio clips too. Thanks a lot.




Laurel wrote:
ahab 4

http://media.pbs.org/ramgen/odyssey/ahab.rm?altplay=ahab.rm

http://www.pbs.org/odyssey/class/mobydick.html



ziki wrote:
ahab 1

ahab 2

ahab 3

Message Edited by ziki on 01-26-200704:40 AM







Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 3 pics of cpt Ahab

That's the Patrick Stewart Moby Dick that was done for American television in 1998.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120756/

Unfortunately,it's no longer available new. Fortunately, my library has it, and I also have a video I made of it from the telecast. It stars my favorite Captain Jon-Luc Picard:

http://www.daisydownunder.com/dyp.html

http://www.daisydownunder.com/pat-movie2.html

It was filmed in Australia or New Zealand, has a superb cast (I especially like the Starbuck, Pip, and Queequeg), and tells the story marvelously. Queequeg is played by a South-sea islander, Piripi Waretini.





Choisya wrote:
Great video clip Laurel - which film is that from? I think he makes a better and more sinister Ahab than Gregory Peck. Good audio clips too. Thanks a lot.




Laurel wrote:
ahab 4

http://media.pbs.org/ramgen/odyssey/ahab.rm?altplay=ahab.rm

http://www.pbs.org/odyssey/class/mobydick.html



ziki wrote:
ahab 1

ahab 2

ahab 3

Message Edited by ziki on 01-26-200704:40 AM










"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 3 pics of cpt Ahab

[ Edited ]
In the UK a DVD with Patrick Stewart as Ahab, Gregory Peck as Mapple, Henry Thomas and Ted Levine is available - is that the one??



Laurel wrote:
That's the Patrick Stewart Moby Dick that was done for American television in 1998.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120756/

Unfortunately,it's no longer available new. Fortunately, my library has it, and I also have a video I made of it from the telecast. It stars my favorite Captain Jon-Luc Picard:

http://www.daisydownunder.com/dyp.html

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-26-200702:20 PM

Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 3 pics of cpt Ahab

That's it! I think it's superb. The one that my library has also has some very interesting extra features about the filming.



Choisya wrote:
In the UK a DVD with Patrick Stewart as Ahab, Gregory Peck as Mapple, Henry Thomas and Ted Levine is available - is that the one??



Laurel wrote:
That's the Patrick Stewart Moby Dick that was done for American television in 1998.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120756/

Unfortunately,it's no longer available new. Fortunately, my library has it, and I also have a video I made of it from the telecast. It stars my favorite Captain Jon-Luc Picard:

http://www.daisydownunder.com/dyp.html

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-26-200702:20 PM




"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
Posts: 1,014
Registered: ‎10-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 3 pics of cpt Ahab

Laurel, if you recommend the Stewart version, I'll see it.
Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 3 pics of cpt Ahab



fanuzzir wrote:
Laurel, if you recommend the Stewart version, I'll see it.




I'll be eager to hear your impressions of it. Why it is no longer being sold is a wonder to me.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 3 pics of cpt Ahab

Me too - I've just ordered it from myu DVD club.




fanuzzir wrote:
Laurel, if you recommend the Stewart version, I'll see it.


Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Ahab #4

[ Edited ]
Yay, Laurel, you shipmaty mate, that was great fun!
Did you notice how they handled the sound when mention of Moby-Dick came up?

If you dislike someone you can call him dick , I wonder if Moby-Dick got that name that way. Ahab of this movie clip gave me that idea, LOL.

I'll get that DVD! :-)

I thought Queequeg was a bit too fat ;-) but it was fun to get some faces. I buy Tashtego's appearance at once. I liked Ahab in this version, not some evil monster, just a man boiling with revenge, totally focused on his own purpose...and a captain still. I bet all men has to love that streak in him.

Also the PBS Voyage is a fun site! "Why surf the web if you can sail?" said by the cool P.Steward is the ultimate sentence of january 2007.

I'm glad I didn't miss this whale journey with you guys!

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-27-200701:30 PM

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Ahab for Bob

[ Edited ]

fanuzzir wrote:
Laurel, if you recommend the Stewart version, I'll see it.




Oh, I think the clip that Laurel included here promises good fortune.
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-27-200701:56 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ahab #4 : (Possible Spoiler) Focussing v. Multi-tasking

[ Edited ]
Ziki wrote:-
'...[Ahab] totally focused on his own purpose...and a captain still. I bet all men has to love that streak in him.'



Yes, this is supposed to be a very male characteristic isn't it - focussing on the task in hand, instead of the 'multi-tasking' nature of women. But given the state of the male-dominated world, is it necessarily something to admire or to nurture? Was Ishmael, the sole survivor, more of a multi-tasker do you think?

Or to use another analogy from the book - Is Ahab a fast-fish 'possessed' by his own obsession and is Ishmael a loose-fish because he survives as a freethinking man?





ziki wrote:
Yay, Laurel, you shipmaty mate, that was great fun!
Did you notice how they handled the sound when mention of Moby-Dick came up?

If you dislike someone you can call him dick , I wonder if Moby-Dick got that name that way. Ahab of this movie clip gave me that idea, LOL.

I'll get that DVD! :-)

I thought Queequeg was a bit too fat ;-) but it was fun to get some faces. I buy Tashtego's appearance at once. I liked Ahab in this version, not some evil monster, just a man boiling with revenge, totally focused on his own purpose...and a captain still. I bet all men has to love that streak in him.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-27-200701:13 PM

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-27-200707:53 AM

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
Posts: 1,014
Registered: ‎10-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ahab #4 : (Possible Spoiler) Focussing v. Multi-tasking



Choisya wrote:
Ziki wrote:-
'...[Ahab] totally focused on his own purpose...and a captain still. I bet all men has to love that streak in him.'



Yes, this is supposed to be a very male characteristic isn't it - focussing on the task in hand, instead of the 'multi-tasking' nature of women. But given the state of the male-dominated world, is it necessarily something to admire or to nurture? Was Ishmael, the sole survivor, more of a multi-tasker do you think?

Or to use another analogy from the book - Is Ahab a fast-fish 'possessed' by his own obsession and is Ishmael a loose-fish because he survives as a freethinking man?



This is a great reminder to us all that we have not discussed gender, or masculinity, in Ahab's and Ishmael's character. Shame on us. Choisya is very canny in reminding us that the qualities we admire in, or at least forgive Ahab for are the ramrod straight purposeful qualities that get us all into trouble. Ishmael, on the other hand, lets the wind carry his thought to whatever topic he chooses. There's something freethinking, to use Choisya's term, about his personality, and something gentle about his philosophy. He'll never lead; in fact, he disappears. Is this what we want from a man?
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 3,107
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ahab #4 : (Possible Spoiler) Focussing v. Multi-tasking

[ Edited ]

fanuzzir wrote:This is a great reminder to us all that we have not discussed gender, or masculinity, in Ahab's and Ishmael's character. Shame on us. Choisya is very canny in reminding us that the qualities we admire in, or at least forgive Ahab for are the ramrod straight purposeful qualities that get us all into trouble. Ishmael, on the other hand, lets the wind carry his thought to whatever topic he chooses. There's something freethinking, to use Choisya's term, about his personality, and something gentle about his philosophy. He'll never lead; in fact, he disappears. Is this what we want from a man?





This is tricky, a leader has to be prepared to get into trouble...yet, the eastern saying suggests: leave no trace.
This gets us really into dualities of all kinds, west/east, masc/fem. lead/follow, ego/spirit etc.

Question of balance
Moody Blues
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=042284477123&itm=1

Message Edited by ziki on 01-28-200704:26 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ahab #4 : (Possible Spoiler) Focussing v. Multi-tasking

Perhaps we just wish men to 'get in touch with their feminine side', as the saying goes these days?:smileyhappy:




fanuzzir wrote:


Choisya wrote:
Ziki wrote:-
'...[Ahab] totally focused on his own purpose...and a captain still. I bet all men has to love that streak in him.'



Yes, this is supposed to be a very male characteristic isn't it - focussing on the task in hand, instead of the 'multi-tasking' nature of women. But given the state of the male-dominated world, is it necessarily something to admire or to nurture? Was Ishmael, the sole survivor, more of a multi-tasker do you think?

Or to use another analogy from the book - Is Ahab a fast-fish 'possessed' by his own obsession and is Ishmael a loose-fish because he survives as a freethinking man?



This is a great reminder to us all that we have not discussed gender, or masculinity, in Ahab's and Ishmael's character. Shame on us. Choisya is very canny in reminding us that the qualities we admire in, or at least forgive Ahab for are the ramrod straight purposeful qualities that get us all into trouble. Ishmael, on the other hand, lets the wind carry his thought to whatever topic he chooses. There's something freethinking, to use Choisya's term, about his personality, and something gentle about his philosophy. He'll never lead; in fact, he disappears. Is this what we want from a man?



Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 778 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: