Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 81: Coffee

Yup. They first thought of calling it Pequod's but quickly realized that wouldn't do. The company started in Seattle in 1971.

Choisya wrote:
I only realised today, when reading an article on the American coffee shop chain Starbucks in my Sunday paper that Laurel was referring to those shops!!:smileysurprised: They aren't as common over here, although I have seen one or two in London. Were they named after Moby Dick's Starbuck?? 0

pmath wrote:
Would "Stubb's" have been a better choice than "Starbucks?"

"What has he in his hand there?" cried Starbuck, pointing to something wavingly held by the German. "Impossible!--a lamp-feeder!"

"Not that," said Stubb, "no, no, it's a coffee-pot, Mr. Starbuck; he's coming off to make us our coffee, is the Yarman; don't you see that big tin can there alongside of him?--that's his boiling water. Oh! he's all right, is the Yarman."

"Go along with you," cried Flask, "it's a lamp-feeder and an oil-can. He's out of oil, and has come a-begging."

Laurel wrote (here):
Starbuck is the man for me. I'll bet he would even bring me coffee.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I only realised today, when reading an article on the American coffee shop chain Starbucks in my Sunday paper that Laurel was referring to those shops!!:smileysurprised: They aren't as common over here, although I have seen one or two in London. Were they named after Moby Dick's Starbuck?? 0

According to the Starbucks website, there are 140 stores in London. Last time I was in London, there seemed to be one on every street corner.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 81: Coffee shops (off topic)

I don't go down there as often as I used to do Friery so more have probably sprung up since my visit last summer, or I just haven't distinguished them from other coffee shops like Costas or Pret a Manger. We don't have any in the town where I live or the one just north of me but we do have Costas. Perhaps Danielle could report on the situation in Paris?

friery wrote:

Choisya wrote:

According to the Starbucks website, there are 140 stores in London. Last time I was in London, there seemed to be one on every street corner.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
Yup. They first thought of calling it Pequod's but quickly realized that wouldn't do. The company started in Seattle in 1971.

Choisya wrote:
I only realised today, when reading an article on the American coffee shop chain Starbucks in my Sunday paper that Laurel was referring to those shops!!:smileysurprised:

I thought about it when I started to read the book and I decided it was too farfetched ;-) Pequod would give bad wibes...even if they all went down, I say: Call me Ishmael! One tht makes it through all ordeals.

One Ishmael's espresso, thanks, and that rum to it, please!

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Coffee in Europe (off topic)

Choisya is a Brit and she lives too close to London, moreover, she focuses on pubs ;-)
You need the American vision for that sort of Starbuck corners situation and the walk away with it as fast as hell ;-)

Starbucks in Paris? That will be the end of me!
ziki
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Perhaps Ishmael's would be better as a cocktail bar - mixing all kinds of wonderful ingredients to make life sustaining grogs? There could be some great names for them too - come on Ziki, you are the cook: What would be in a Golden Doubloon? A Pink Pequod? A White Whale? A King Queequeg? A Black Ahab?

ziki wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Choisya wrote:
I only realised today, when reading an article on the American coffee shop chain Starbucks in my Sunday paper that Laurel was referring to those shops!!:smileysurprised:

I thought about it when I started to read the book and I decided it was too farfetched ;-) Pequod would give bad wibes...even if they all went down, I say: Call me Ishmael! One tht makes it through all ordeals.

ziki

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Coffee in Europe (off topic)

Choisya doesn't like pubs - too much smoke:smileysad: I like an elegant tea-room like those at Claridges or The Ritz where would order Afternoon Tea:smileyvery-happy:

http://www.theritzlondon.com/tea/teamenu.asp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/01/2006_29_wed.shtml

ziki wrote:
Choisya is a Brit and she lives too close to London, moreover, she focuses on pubs ;-)
You need the American vision for that sort of Starbuck corners situation and the walk away with it as fast as hell ;-)

ziki

Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Re: Coffee in Europe (off topic)

ziki wrote:

ziki

There are now apparently 25 Starbucks stores in Paris.

None in Rome yet, as far as I know.

But, there's one in the Forbidden City in Beijing. It's caused quite a stir. (No pun intended.)
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 80: Vertebrae

It's often just a matter of the long-term data simply not supporting the claims. But we have to wait it out and see. Because the opposite is also true: long-term data also show support for many theories. It is a matter of looking at the theory and seeing how sound it is in the first place.

Denise

Laurel wrote:
Exactly.

donyskiw wrote:
This used to be a big "science" back then. It makes me wonder what other current "sciences" will go the same way.

Denise

fanuzzir wrote:
Do you know you were supposed to be able to know a person's character by feeling the bumps on his or her head? That's why Melville is so entranced by the great expense of Moby Dick's brow, as he calls it (a joking comparison to Daniel Webster, this titan of the Senate revered for the height of his forehead, if you can believe it).

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: Chapters 61-98, if I had to choose... (spoiler ch 87)

[ Edited ]
This Loose-Fish or Fast-Fish chapter (89) is very funny in an ironic sort of way.

Denise

fanuzzir wrote:
Ziki, I love this chapter too. "And thus, though srrounded by circile upon circule of consternations and affrights, did these inscrutible creaturesat the centre freely and fearlessly indulge in all peaceful concernments; yes, serenly revelled in dalliance and delight. But even so, amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still for every centrally disport in mute calm; . . . deep down and deep inland I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy."

A remarkable pasage and confession. This is what Ishmael needs and has been looking for; he finds it in the eye of a hurricane. Maybe he needs the calm, but he goes through the hurricane to get it.

Ziki, I don't see where he throws out the terms Loose Fish or Fast Fish. Give me some help?

ziki wrote:
I think the part of the chapter (The Grand Armada) where they get into the "eye of the whales" was nothing short of magic.
From the mad hunt straight into the peace, Queequeg starts patting them on their heads...now, that's my boy....thre's some hope for the human race.

Melville really worked nicely with the contrasts here, it was very visual.
----------
But then he wonders if I am a Loose-Fish or Fast-Fish??? Sometimes I do not get him at all. Do you?

ziki

Message Edited by donyskiw on 01-29-200702:33 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Ishmael's Bar

Oooohhhh, Now you hit the right button! No more community rooms, we do Ishmael's bar instead! It's settled!

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

(off topic)

[ Edited ]
oh, I wonder how long Roma will hold their position.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-30-200701:52 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

smokeless bar (off topic)

OK Ishmael's is smokeless. I go mute in smoky rooms, my vocal cords can't handle it.

ziki
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

How about if we pop over to Pip's?

Choisya wrote:
Perhaps Ishmael's would be better as a cocktail bar - mixing all kinds of wonderful ingredients to make life sustaining grogs? There could be some great names for them too - come on Ziki, you are the cook: What would be in a Golden Doubloon? A Pink Pequod? A White Whale? A King Queequeg? A Black Ahab?

ziki wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Choisya wrote:

ziki

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: The Monkey-Rope (ch 72)

ziki wrote:

fanuzzir wrote If you are
honest and candid about your reactions to this book then you are in a position to glimpse what the underlying nature of western, Judeo Christian knowlege is.

hmmm....one can really wonder if there is any difference between fiction and fact when it comes to that. Gotta think about this.

ziki

And Melville LOVES to muddy up fiction and fact, you know.
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: doctrine of Loose and Fast-Fish

Laurel wrote:
All this brings Billy Budd to mind. "Farewell, 'Rights of Man!'"

Superb coda to a career I would think! BB really does refine and narrow everything that Melville wanted to say here, I think.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
How about if we pop over to Pip's?

yay, another good place...

z.
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 68: Herman Melville and the Sperm Whale

I think HM pokes fun at religion as he does throughout. Otherwise, we use the whale's skin and oil for warmth.

Chad
Users Online
Currently online: 60 members 721 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: