Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Moby Dick and Shakespeare

I am weak in my Shakespeare but it will be intereresting to explore the connection. As the Shakespeare board opens here on BN maybe we could look into it more.

ziki
Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Re: Moby Dick and Shakespeare

ziki wrote:
I am weak in my Shakespeare but it will be intereresting to explore the connection. As the Shakespeare board opens here on BN maybe we could look into it more.

ziki

I'd also like to explore the connection.

I've seen echoes in Ahab of King Lear's raging against the storm:

Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow!
You cataracts and hurricanoes, spout
Till you have drench'd our steeples, drown'd the cocks!
You sulphurous and thought-executing fires,
Vaunt-couriers to oak-cleaving thunderbolts,
Singe my white head! And thou, all-shaking thunder,
Smite flat the thick rotundity o' the world!
Crack nature's moulds, and germens spill at once,
That make ingrateful man!

Chapter CXIX, the Candles, echoes this.

And, one of the great opening lines in all of Shakespeare appears at least twice that I've noticed: "Who's there?" (Last in the Candles chapter.) That's how Hamlet begins.

And Melville's format often turns theatrical. Chapter CVIII has a stage setting and a soliloquy by the carpenter.

In chapter CXXV, page 597 (B&N ed.), "the skewer seems loosening out of the middle of the world" sounded to me like the "time is out of joint" line from Hamlet.

And I'm sure there's lots more.
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

American Shakespeare

Shakespeare is an inescapable reference here for Melville, as it represented to him both the high culture to which America aspired and the popular culture at which American already excelled. Adaptations of Shakespeare were nearly universal in American cities of the 19th century, and gave countless audiences the chance to do what we are doing with Ahab: admiring and regretting the tragedy of heroism. Shakespeare's influence in this sense was almost as great as Emerson's in teaching America a taste for great heroic characters. (The only true blue American hero before this, Cooper's Natty Bumbo in The Last of the Mohicans, is actually quite quixotic and courtly).
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

the last of the Mohicans?

Will we read The Last of the Mohicans here?
ziki
not sticking to topic, sorry
Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: the last of the Mohicans?

If that's what you want, I could float the idea. But I warn you: though there are gorgeous passages and a thrilling narrative, long portions of that novel are DEADLY.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

SNORE!

fanuzzir wrote:
If that's what you want, I could float the idea. But I warn you: though there are gorgeous passages and a thrilling narrative, long portions of that novel are DEADLY.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

fanuzzir wrote:

Worst than blubber? If so...we forget it.
ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 02-01-200706:56 AM

Correspondent
friery
0 Kudos

Re: Moby Dick and Shakespeare

ziki wrote:

ziki

One last Shakespeare allusion from Moby Dick. In the second chase episode, Ahab says, "I'll ten times girdle the unmeasured globe; yea and dive straight through it, but I'll slay him yet!"

This echoes Puck's statement in Midsummer Night's Dream that "I’ll put a girdle round about the earth in forty minutes."

And that's a wonderful segue from the Moby Dick book club to Midsummer Night's Dream...
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 595 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: