Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Related sources-miscellaneous (the topic was called mishmash earlier)

[ Edited ]
I thought this could be a folder where additional information connected to the topic but not directly to the book could go....(some of it was posted in the community room but it gets lost there cuz that place is for unrelated chat). Can you tell I am trying to behave and be organized?

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-29-200701:45 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

whale songs-from BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1047104.stm

Whales pick up new songs

Male humpback whales sing songs to attract females

Even singing whales are not immune to picking up a catchy tune.

Humpback whales living in the waters of the Great Barrier Reef have astonished scientists by learning a new melody sung by visitors from a distant ocean.

Such a revolutionary change is unprecedented in animal cultural vocal traditions

Michael NoadIn less than two years, the giants of the deep swapped their own distinctive serenade for that of their wandering Indian Ocean cousins.

Australian marine biologists believe the males copied the songs of the migrants to stop potential female suitors from losing interest. And they think it is an unprecedented example of a "cultural revolution" in whale songs.

Moonlight serenade

Male humpback whales sing on their way to and from their mating grounds in the waters of the Great Barrier Reef off the east coast of Australia.

Normally, whales in different ocean basins sing unrelated songs. Like birds, their melodies can change over time, but usually this is a slow, gradual process.

So Dr Michael Noad of the University of Sydney, New South Wales, and colleagues, were surprised to find that the whales they were studying had suddenly picked up a new tune.

Dr Noad told the BBC: "All of a sudden, a few dozen whales have come across from the west coast population and mixed in with the east coast population.

"In 1996, when we were recording the whales we picked up a small number of whales that were singing this completely different song. Literally, within a period of a few months, the east coast singers have all changed their song and adopted the west coast song."

'Cultural novelty'

The marine biologists found that at first only two of 82 east coast whales were singing the new tune.

But over a period of less than two years, all the males had switched songs.

The finding is intriguing because it suggests that whales may be attracted to the cultural novelty of a song and then adopt it themselves.

Reporting their findings in the scientific journal Nature, the team said: "Such a revolutionary change is unprecedented in animal cultural vocal traditions and suggests that novelty may stimulate change in humpback whale songs."
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Sonic Hedgehog

This has nothing to do with Queequeg...this is a gene that whales lost. Apparently whales were once walking the Earth. No I didn't drink too much wine...

In the book HM writes they have bones that look like our hand minus thumb...150 years later we are trying to know more...

walking whales
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

how do they look...whales

[ Edited ]
HM wrote we can't really know how a whale looks. I wonder how did scientists finally discover how whale looked? What made the difference? The camera?

Here some pics from the air or.....aye, the masthead, LOL.

some photos of whales

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-07-200703:11 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

about whales

[ Edited ]
It can be a bit depressing to read about the whales on the net. It's worse than the exasperation one can feel while reading the info in the book.
Whale hunt is pretty bad but that is not the only thing nowadays, the whales are poisoned, too!!!

THREATS: Recent studies have found that orcas (=killer whales) are among the most contaminated marine mammals in the world. Pollution and chemical contamination make orcas more susceptible to disease and likely cause reproductive difficulties.

------
BEHAVIOR: Orcas are highly social animals that travel in groups called pods. Pods usually consist of 5 to 30 whales, although some pods may combine to form a group of 100 or more. Orcas establish social hierarchies, and pods are lead by females. The animals are thought to have a complex form of communication with different dialects (slightly different language) from one pod to another.

http://www.whales.org/
http://www.deh.gov.au/coasts/species/cetaceans/intro.html

another angle to it:
http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/648

Message Edited by ziki on 01-07-200703:32 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: about whales

Yes, the mess we are making of this beautiful world by the pollution of not only our own environment but that of the creatures around, above and beneath us is depressing indeed:smileysad: Melville's prophesies coming true:smileysad:

ziki wrote:
It can be a bit depressing to read about the whales on the net. It's worse than the exasperation one can feel while reading the info in the book.
Whale hunt is pretty bad but that is not the only thing nowadays, the whales are poisoned, too!!!

THREATS: Recent studies have found that orcas (=killer whales) are among the most contaminated marine mammals in the world. Pollution and chemical contamination make orcas more susceptible to disease and likely cause reproductive difficulties.

------
BEHAVIOR: Orcas are highly social animals that travel in groups called pods. Pods usually consist of 5 to 30 whales, although some pods may combine to form a group of 100 or more. Orcas establish social hierarchies, and pods are lead by females. The animals are thought to have a complex form of communication with different dialects (slightly different language) from one pod to another.

http://www.whales.org/
http://www.deh.gov.au/coasts/species/cetaceans/intro.html

another angle to it:
http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/648

Message Edited by ziki on 01-07-200703:32 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Great art bad reviews

[ Edited ]
Some of the reviews HM got were mortifying. There is an example from "New York US magazine..." in the B&N edition of MD (back of the book) and can be read also in this link.

http://www.melville.org/hmmoby.htm

one good one (while others wish both Melville and his whales at the bottom of the sea):

[W]e have nothing to allege against his admission among the few writers of the present day who give evidence of some originality; but, while disposed to concede to Mr. Melville a palm of high praise for his literary excellencies, we must enter our decided protest against the querulous and cavilling innuendoes which he so much loves to discharge, like barbed and poisoned arrows, against objects that should be shielded from his irreverent wit....
... In whatever light [Moby-Dick] may be viewed, no one can deny it to be the production of a man of genius. The descriptive powers of Mr. Melville are unrivalled.... Language in the hands of this master becomes like a magician's wand, evoking at will "thick-coming fancies," and peopling the "chambers of imagery" with hideous shapes of terror or winning forms of beauty and loveliness. Mr. Melville has a strange power to reach the sinuosities of a thought, if we may so express ourselves; he touches with his lead and line depths of pathos that few can fathom, and by a single word can set a whole chime of sweet or wild emotions into a pealing concert. His delineation of character is actually Shakespearean -- a quality which is even more prominently evinced in Moby Dick than in any of his antecedent efforts. --William A. Butler, in Washington National Intelligencer, December 16 1851

------

I appears that people either appreciated or hated the book. The reactions are not lukewarm and that already shows that Melville was/is indeed a powerful and original writer. This can't be denied no matter what the reader's reaction to his book is.

However, even those who were negative have a point in their descriptions of the book and it seems that this polarity still exists. Either you love it or you hate it.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-07-200710:17 PM

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Re: Related mishmash

[ Edited ]
I thought this could be a folder where additional information connected to the topic but not directly to the book could go....(some of it was posted in the community room but it gets lost there cuz that place is for unrelated chat). Can you tell I am trying to behave and be organized?

ziki

Ziki, I am so impressed. Your idea seems to have hit a nerve, judging from the hits. And it is organized, too!

Message Edited by fanuzzir on 01-07-200709:50 PM

Message Edited by fanuzzir on 01-07-200709:52 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Related mishmash

fanuzzir wrote:

ziki

Ziki, I am so impressed. Your idea seems to have hit a nerve, judging from the hits. And it is organized, too!

Message Edited by fanuzzir on 01-07-200709:50 PM

Message Edited by fanuzzir on 01-07-200709:52 PM

hehe, OK...:-)
z.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: how do they look...whales

[ Edited ]
Lovely pics but they should call them Orca whales not killer whales:smileysad::smileysad: I am now getting the feeling that I want to see some and will look at possible holiday trips with that in view:smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:
HM wrote we can't really know how a whale looks. I wonder how did scientists finally discover how whale looked? What made the difference? The camera?

some photos of whales

ziki

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-08-200711:30 AM

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

I live in the Land of the Orcas, Choisya. Excursion ferries embark near here to Victoria, and people eat and watch for whales along the way. Some think there's too much whale watching, though.

Choisya wrote:
Lovely pics but they should call them Orca whales not killer whales:smileysad::smileysad: I am now getting the feeling that I want to see some and will look at possible holiday trips with that in view:smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:

some photos of whales

ziki

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Lucky you Laurel! I have just spent a happy afternoon looking for holidays in the Canary Islands (Spain) where there are whales and dolphins off the African coast and trips available for 'sightings'. I think I will book one as a birthday treat in March:smileyhappy:

Laurel wrote:
I live in the Land of the Orcas, Choisya. Excursion ferries embark near here to Victoria, and people eat and watch for whales along the way. Some think there's too much whale watching, though.

Choisya wrote:

ziki wrote:

some photos of whales

ziki

Frequent Contributor
fanuzzir
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Lucky you Laurel! I have just spent a happy afternoon looking for holidays in the Canary Islands (Spain) where there are whales and dolphins off the African coast and trips available for 'sightings'. I think I will book one as a birthday treat in March:smileyhappy:

Laurel wrote:

Choisya wrote:

ziki wrote:

some photos of whales

ziki

Do they have internet connections on the Canaries?
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Just little yellow birds.

fanuzzir wrote:

Choisya wrote:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

(off topic comment)

Laurel wrote:

Any Ahabs around to cheer you up?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

internet on Canary Islands

Bob:
--------
Yes, they do, it is pretty civilized, no savages there but a lot of German tourists.It's pretty exploited.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

pics of whales

I thought it was cool to see them from the air.
z.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: (off topic comment)

ziki wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Any Ahabs around to cheer you up?

ziki

I keep the doors locked.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

giant squid

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

beyond Melville

[ Edited ]
modern reading about whales:

http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/articles/20050323/Feature1.asp

Message Edited by ziki on 01-09-200712:52 PM

Users Online
Currently online:58 members 536 guests