Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Pullman -- Interviews & Articles -- SPOILERS

[ Edited ]
HIS DARK MATERIALS readers may like to read interviews with, and articles about, Philip Pullman and the series. Here's a good article (which includes an interview) from a 2005 issue of THE NEW YORKER:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/12/26/051226fa_fact?currentPage=1

Please feel free to add others to this thread as you come across them!

Enjoy!

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-21-2007 12:53 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Re: Pullman -- Interviews & Articles -- SPOILERS

Thanks for the article Connie. The entire article resonated with me (I will have to think about the Tolkien criticism), but I copied an excerpt below that spoke to me. After reading Narnia, I was left with such a bad taste in my mouth when I read this as well about Susan. I thought it very misogynist as well. I thought perhaps this was some editing error where they had left out something Susan had done that was horrible as opposed to simply enjoying feminine things.

In a 1998 essay for the Guardian, entitled “The Dark Side of Narnia,” he condemned “the misogyny, the racism, the sado-masochistic relish for violence that permeates the whole cycle.” He reviled Lewis for depicting the character Susan Pevensie’s sexual coming of age—suggested by her interest in “nylons and lipstick and invitations”—as grounds for exclusion from paradise. In Pullman’s view, the “Chronicles,” which end with the rest of the family’s ascension to a neo-Platonic version of Narnia after they die in a railway accident, teach that “death is better than life; boys are better than girls . . . and so on. There is no shortage of such nauseating drivel in Narnia, if you can face it.”
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Hello! Here is a link to the SciFi Channel interview with the cast. :smileyhappy:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw17514.html
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks! Interesting that SciFi Channel would take this up. What is it Pullman has called the series--science fiction fantasy, or something like that? I wonder how many readers think of the books more as science fiction than fantasy.

~ConnieK

luciadelabyss wrote:
Hello! Here is a link to the SciFi Channel interview with the cast. :smileyhappy:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw17514.html

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 653 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: