Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 1-10

Please limit conversation in this section up to Chapter 10 only for those who have not yet completed the book.

Ch. 1: "The Enchanted Sleeper"

Ch. 2: "Balthamos and Baruch"

Ch. 3: "Scavengers"

Ch. 4: "Ama and the Bats"

Ch. 5: "The Adamant Tower"

Ch. 6: "Preemptive Absolution"

Ch. 7: "Mary, Alone"

Ch. 8: "Vodka"

Ch. 9: "Upriver"

Ch. 10: "Wheels"
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 1-10

I'm actually very excited about this book. I feel the other two have been mainly preparation. It also is the biggest book of the three. Right off there is something new--Pullman has added relevant quotes to the beginning of each chapter. Since this is new to the series I was wondering if it has some relevance.

The second format changes is that Lyra is communicating with Roger--at least for the first few chapters--at the end of each chapter.

Pullman is continuing with the style he used in the Subtle Knife. He switches from character to character and we know what they know and follow them for that chapter. This is different than the first book which was all Lyra and her view of things.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 1

To be honest, I thought the November club would start next Monday. I've only read the first chapter and we find Lyra with Mrs. Coulter. Now what does she have in mind? Will is also looking for Lyra and has the aid of two angels to help look for her. He has the alethiometer but doesn't know how to use it. This is an exciting book; I understand we wil meet even more characters along the way.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Not a problem, as you know, maxcat. Take your time reading and enjoying. There are no deadlines, quizzes, or tests! :smileywink:

~ConnieK

maxcat wrote:
To be honest, I thought the November club would start next Monday. I've only read the first chapter and we find Lyra with Mrs. Coulter. Now what does she have in mind? Will is also looking for Lyra and has the aid of two angels to help look for her. He has the alethiometer but doesn't know how to use it. This is an exciting book; I understand we wil meet even more characters along the way.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 1-10: Roger

The second format changes is that Lyra is communicating with Roger--at least for the first few chapters--at the end of each chapter.
--------------------------------------------

I might add a bit more to this statement. There seems to be a developing theme here that ties this series back to Lyra's original quest--to save Roger. Of course now we also have the universe at stake--and I might add all the millions of universes. (Is there a word that refers to multiple universes together or have we gotten bigger than our vocabulary allows?) Roger is still in the story, though he is theoretically dead. I'm not sure if this is a guilt trip on Lyra's part. I don't think Pullman would continue a storyline without a purpose. In his usual manner he is giving us bits of information as we read on (like he did with the prophesy).

Pg 8-9 (AS)
This was the end of all places and the last of all worlds.
Why were they there?
They were imprisoned. Someone had committed a crime, though no one knew what it was, or who had done it, or what authority sat in judgment.
[...]
He [Roger] said, "It's a world of the dead, Lyra--I dunno what to do--I dunno if I'm here forever, and I dunno if I done bad things or what, because I tried to be good, but I hate it, I'm scared of it all, I hate it---"

"Lyra...

Pg 36 starts with a fragment, probably a pick-up from the previous chapter but doesn't make a lot of sense because of the comma after "here":

get us out of here, Roger, I promise. And Will's coming, I'm sure he is!"

pg 45

Behind the little boy she [Lyra] could see more ghosts, dozens, hundreds, their heads crowded together, peering close and listening to every word.
[...]
Lyra is saying in reference to Mrs Coulter:

"She's somewhere near, and I can't"
---------------------------------

Now I'm just reading these little segments ahead and I haven't read the chapters that go with them yet.
-----------------------------------

pg 54
wake up I can't see her--I think she's close by--she's hurt me--"

Pg 65
She looked around, but all she could see were wide eyes and hopeless faces, pale faces, dark faces, old faces, young faces, all the dead cramming and crowding, close and silent and sorrowful.

Roger's face was different. His expression was the only one that contained hope.

She said, "Why d'you look like that? Why en't you miserable, like them? Why en't you at the end of your hope?"

And he said, "because"

pg 78
you're Lyra."
[...]
"But we can trust him, Roger, I swear," she said with a final effort.

pg 92
"because he's Will."

----------------------------

Well, at this point I'm not quite sure what to make of this. I just pulled out parts to quote above but I think I pulled the most relevant to the information Pullman is giving us. The only other thing that Lyra emphasizes is that there are other people helping in addition to Will--Dr. Malone, Srafina and Iorek. We do know that Lyra is drugged and sleeping so this is more dream than anything else, but I'm sure this is going to influence her future actions in some way.
Nadine
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

I'm right with you maxcat. I just started as well and I'm up to about chapter 3. I've listened to the audio that far but I want to reread the actual book chapters before I post on them.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Take your time and enjoy, Nadine! There's no hurry, and this book is the one that pulls it all together--lots to digest!

~ConnieK

Nadine wrote:
I'm right with you maxcat. I just started as well and I'm up to about chapter 3. I've listened to the audio that far but I want to reread the actual book chapters before I post on them.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 2

I liked how Will asked Balthamos to be his daemon; Balthamos wasn't to happy about that. Then there's Metatron, regent to the Authority. He seems dangerous and I wonder if his character will pop up again later. At least they found where Lyra is and have to figure how to get there.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 3

Will is in another world at the moment. This chapter is devoted to Serafina and Iorek the bear king. Serafina tells Iorek about Lee Scoresby's death. Interesting note though, it sounds like global warming is going on up where Iorek is as the ice has melted and he is concerned. He will have to find another place to live soon.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 4-5

Ama is an interesting character; she got some potion that will wake Lyra up. She was planning to do it that day and she had to hide as Mrs. Coulter came back with her daemon. I also think Balthamos and Baruch are different sort of characters. Baruch goes and finds the girl. He returns only to be attacked by Metetron, an evil one. Baruch is on his way to see Lord Asriel but was attacked and though he made it to the tower, he died after giving his message about the girl and her location. This is getting to become a mystery..
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 6

I was confused a bit with this chapter. Basically, Father Gomez has been assigned to kill Lyra and he is to look for the temptor as she is looking for Lyra and she will lead Father Gomez to her. Also, there is something going on with Dr. Cooper. Father president wants to know about a man Dr. Cooper knows and wants information from him about his experiments at Bolvangor. This chapter sounds foreboding as it sets up for things the church wants done immediately and they believe life will be better.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 7

This chapter is devoted to Dr Mary Malone. I don't remember her crossing into Citigasse but she did and the amazing thing is, the Specters are leaving her alone. She's traveling ,I guess, to find Lyra. She comes across a window and climbs through to see animals never seen before, giant trees, large butterflies and hummingbirds. She comes across a herd of mulefas, sort of wheeled trunked animals who are very polite and kind. She gets on one's back and off they go down the road. Will Mary find Lyra? She really has nothing to go by and she doesn't know if Lyra is in that world. It does sound like the Himalayas to me.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 8

Will walks into the strangest of villages and meets a priest who invites him in. They share some tea and vodka. The priest offers Will to stay overnoight. I got a creepy feeling about this, can't explain it. Anyway, Will declines and he goes off down the road. He goes down by the waterfront as there is a lot of noise and shooting going on. Armored bears are on a ship, they are looking for a place that still has ice and snow. Global warming again? The villagers will not let them have any fuel and so thee is a big todo. Will intervenes by asking the head bear if he will fight him. The bear agrees, but Will asks for a piece of armor. The bear gives him his helmet. Will takes out his knife and cuts the helmet into pieces. The bear is amazed. and the villagers are amazed. They let the bears refuel and Will goes with them and learns that the bear he fought is Iorek.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 9

This chapter featured Will and Iorek discussing problems with the North and Iorek was interested in Will's knife, stating he would never win with a knife such as that. Also they are on their way to find Lyra. Also on their way is Lord asriel and his army of zeppelins and the Church and their zeppelins. It's a matter of time and who gets to the little girl first.
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 546 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: