Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 31-38

Discussion of the last chapters includes:

Ch. 31: "Authority's End"

Ch. 32: "Morning"

Ch. 33: "Marzipan"

Ch. 34: "There Is Now"

Ch. 35: "Over the Hills and Far Away"

Ch. 36: "The Broken Arrow"

Ch. 37: "The Dunes"

Ch. 38: "The Botanic Garden"
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

Re: THE AMBER SPYGLASS -- Chapters 31-38

The end is so bittersweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

BnBookworm wrote:
The end is so bittersweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After watching Lyra and Will mature into what I would consider adults, I found it a bit startling to see them back in their world where they were essentially still children. Mary is planning on all sorts of arrangements so that Will can stay with her and not end up in some sort of home. Lyra is still a ward of the school. All has a happy ending but I just can't imagine, after all they went through, being merely children again who need taking care of and direction.

In Harry Potter Rowling invented a Wizard law so that Harry was a full fledged adult by the time of the series climax.

It also started me thinking, does our society artificially impose non-adult status on teenagers long past the time it is necessary? In some societies, maturity is reached a lot earlier and the teenagers there take on the full responsibilities of adulthood. There are even some religious and cultural traditions in western countries that technically confer adulthood on much younger people, though legally they are not recognized as a adults, still subject to the rules and restrictions of childhood but also don't have responsibilities of adulthood.

I was wondering what other people thought about this. I would be particularly interested in hearing what the teenagers on the board might think.
Contributor
FionaBR3
0 Kudos

WWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MRS. COULTER & LORD ASRIEL FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After the deaths of these two beautiful people which was in itself beautiful along with sad and full of love, in short a tragedy as well as sacrifice, I didn't give a care in the world about Lyra. In fact I almost hated her for not loving her parents as much as they obviously loved her. I take the books too seriously and as a result I couldn't completely hate her because they sacrificed themselves for her and she fell in love.
If you've ever seen the Moulin Rouge than you can say that I'm like Christian because above all things I believe in love. So I believe that whatever crimes they committed, they were redeemed a-hundred-fold by love for their daughter and should have lived because they had true love together. And like Lyra had with Will and like Marisa Coulter had with Lord Asriel... true love, it should always prevail. I had to try immensely hard not to cry when they died and again when my hope was extinguished by Seraffina Pekkala's words, and save it for the end. When I did get to the end and finished the book it wasn't hard to remember those tears and especially since it felt like a ghost with the trilogy ending in the same place Lyra "fell under Mrs. Coulter's spell" and not even knowing what they did for her. I also thought it was a pretty dull ending considering all the adventure that had passed in the span of... two, three months tops.
Contributor
FionaBR3
0 Kudos

OK I don't know if I'm a good example for a teenager since I pride myself on being different but, I think, after reading your opinion, that maybe, it should all be like they say, with more privelleges come more responsibilities, only with more maturity comes more responsibility, and then with more responsibility comes more privelleges. Looking from an outsider's perspective I'd say that given the amount of people who are 11 and watch rated R movies or NC-17 I think it's called but still can't find the time to do their chores or their homework (I always forget my chores), we really shouldn't be given special privelleges until we can learn how to take up our personal responsibilities. Furthermore we should not be given these responsibilities until we can learn to co-exist with at least our peers, if not our siblings and neighbors to, harmoniously. Now this goes into a whole new category, yet at the same time relevant. Bullying is almost always a sign of immaturity no matter the other reasons. Yet, people who throw trash at kids on the bus, write names with their fingers on other kids' windows, kick seats, etc. just for fun can see the movies they like, have what they want, watch what they want, and go where they want. Thus my point, these people are obviously not mature enough to know right from wrong and therefore don't have the responsibilities that recquire those types of skills, so honestly even if it were me I don't think they or I would have the right to any of the privelleges stated above or many others. At the very least they should be restricted. The only reason for my being up at 5:00 am is that I have insomnia and by the time I remembered to take my pill I couldn't because of the time I have to take my pill and the time I have to put between that and any other food or medication.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

FionaBR3, what a unique and refreshing perspective you have on Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel and their relationship! Please share more of your thoughts with the group.
Contributor
FionaBR3
0 Kudos

I HAVE PROOF!!!!! So Ha! to all you doubters of Mrs. Coulter's and Lord Asriel's love. The proof is in the pudding, or in this case the Golden Compass movie website. Here is how to get to the proof:

1. Go to www.goldencompass.com
2. Click on Lyra's world
3. Press the forward button that is to the bottom right of the pictures twice. But wait for the picture to show up before pressing the second time.
4. Press the play button and listen to the whole spoken description for Mrs. Coulter.
5. Press the forward button one more time to get to Lord Asriel's description.
6. Press the play button and listen to the whole spoken description for Lord Asriel.

So here is the proof. In both descriptions it talks about their relationship and their love for each other. If anybody would like to comment on their reationship after hereing these descriptions, feel free to do so.
Contributor
FionaBR3
0 Kudos

The book says that Lyra's daemon, Pantalaimon, takes the form of a Pine Marten. Is that just a name that Will made up or is it a real animal? Because I looked it up in the dictionary, on the internet, and on dictionary.com, and there was nothing there at all.

Wondering,
FionaBR3

P.S. Lord Asriel and Marisa Coulter forever!!!!!!!!!
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Pine Marten

I Googled "pine marten" - Wikipedia had the first entry.

FionaBR3 wrote:
The book says that Lyra's daemon, Pantalaimon, takes the form of a Pine Marten. Is that just a name that Will made up or is it a real animal? Because I looked it up in the dictionary, on the internet, and on dictionary.com, and there was nothing there at all.

Wondering,
FionaBR3

P.S. Lord Asriel and Marisa Coulter forever!!!!!!!!!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
FionaBR3
0 Kudos

Yes, the ending is bitter but not sweet for who really counts. That is... Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel.

Love is the eternal grace, which without we could not survive
- Love lifts us up where we belong
- HDM - "Call him now, Marisa, my love" - Lord Asriel
- "to have been loved so deeply... will give us some protection forever" - Albus Dumbledore
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 590 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: