Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

THE GOLDEN COMPASS -- The Movie

Let's use this thread for news, observations, anticipation, speculations, etc. related to the upcoming film adaptation of THE GOLDEN COMPASS. The movie is due to appear in theaters on December 7, 2007. Its official website is: www.goldencompassmovie.com.

What do you most look forward to seeing on screen from the novel? What are you most skeptical about filmmakers being able to interpret from the book to the screen? Let us know your thoughts over the next several weeks as we anticipate the film's long-awaited release!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
valentinablack
0 Kudos

Re: THE GOLDEN COMPASS -- The Movie

I just finished reading this book last week. it was recommended to me by many Harry Potter readers.
i loved the book, although, i have yet to read the other, i have them, but i want to space it out a bit.
i think the movie is going to be awesome, although, i am not sure yet what i am most looking forward to. i am a little nervous about the bears -- i am afraid that they might look like the holiday Coca Cola commercials! I feel the same anticipation with watching this movie as i did when i watched the first Harry Potter movie - to see this new world unfold for the very first time. this time, they are better with special effects than they were in 1999. when i see some of the special effects of the first Harry Potter movie, it kind of makes me cringe now. and with this one, the whole book is constantly moving with so many new places to discover.
**let us step into the night and persue that flighty temptress, adventure**
Frequent Contributor
Baker
0 Kudos

Yeah I'm really looking foward to the movie. I read the first 2 books last year and never read the third. I cant seem to find it now.
Baker
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
valentinablack and Baker--Welcome, and thanks for posting! You might be interested in the trailers for this movie that are now up on the web (or not, if you don't want to see spoilers). If so, one place to see them is here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808718640/video/4451177

If you'd rather not view any video about the film just yet, you might be interested in seeing posters for the film; they do depict the armored bears:

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/10/10/exclusive-final-golden-compass-posters/

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-11-2007 09:01 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
valentinablack
0 Kudos

Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman do seem so perfectly casted for there roles, even though Mrs. Coulter is supposed to have black hair. can't wait to see them together, esp for the ending.
**let us step into the night and persue that flighty temptress, adventure**
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

I think that Nicole Kidman will be absolutely perfect for the role of Mrs. Coulter! About Dakota Blue Richards, though ... (beware of spoilers) Isn't she a little too young for the role of Lyra, considering that by the third book she is in love with Will??? Hmmmm... At least they are making Iorek the bear correctly, although he is entirely made of CGI FX. Hopefully, the makers of the movie won't dumb it down for children. I heard somewhere that they are eliminating the religious theme from the movie. I wonder if that means renaming the Magesterium...
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

dianaprince wrote, in part:
Hopefully, the makers of the movie won't dumb it down for children.

Pullman certainly respected the intellect of the young people who would choose to read his books (and don't forget HDM are usually marketed as "children's" books). As for the young actress playing Lyra, it seems actors are more in danger of aging beyond their child characters in the time it takes movies to be made. I know this has been a concern with the Harry Potter films--they're racing to complete them before the main trio of characters look (are) too old.

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

I'm really curious to see the gyptian gathering part because that is the one scene I couldn't form very clearly in my mind; it was all a kind of blur. I'm also really interested to how they will depict the daemons. I hope they don't look fake! Same with the bears. If they do look like giant coca-cola bears, I really think I will walk out of the theater in protest. Still, I can't wait to see Iorek. I love Iorek!

Oh yeah, and if any of you have read City of Bones by Cassandra Clare please check my post in the paranormal/urban fantasy book club. I am dying to dicuss it!
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

They don't look too much like the "Coke bears" in the posters I've seen online. :smileywink:

~ConnieK

tigerlilly wrote:
I'm really curious to see the gyptian gathering part because that is the one scene I couldn't form very clearly in my mind; it was all a kind of blur. I'm also really interested to how they will depict the daemons. I hope they don't look fake! Same with the bears. If they do look like giant coca-cola bears, I really think I will walk out of the theater in protest. Still, I can't wait to see Iorek. I love Iorek!

Oh yeah, and if any of you have read City of Bones by Cassandra Clare please check my post in the paranormal/urban fantasy book club. I am dying to dicuss it!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

tigerlilly said: Same with the bears. If they do look like giant coca-cola bears, I really think I will walk out of the theater in protest. Still, I can't wait to see Iorek. I love Iorek!

As a matter of fact, I think that the bears do look like the bears on those Coca Cola commercials! I do not drink any form of soda except for grape Vess and root beer floats, however, so please do not consider me to be an expert on the subject of Coke commercials (I only see the ads while watching shows like "American Idol"). The bears are heavily animated, as seen on this website: http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/ . I had hoped for real bears which had been trained for movies like the lion in the BBC version of C.S. Lewis's "Chronicles of Narnia" movies, but my hopes were completely destroyed by the overzealousness (did I spell that correctly?) of the producers with their new CGI technology.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

They look like evil twins of the coca-cola bears. Evil twins on steroids. Yeah, it would have been cool if they used real bears, but that would probably be way too dangerous. Aren't polar bears suppossed to be the most aggessive? But, oh well, the CGI bears aren't all that bad. I can live with it
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

tigerlilly wrote: They look like evil twins of the coca-cola bears. Evil twins on steroids. Yeah, it would have been cool if they used real bears, but that would probably be way too dangerous. Aren't polar bears suppossed to be the most aggessive? But, oh well, the CGI bears aren't all that bad. I can live with it.

I totally agree with you! They are very, very, VERY evil twins of the polar bears because ... the Coca-Cola bears were tame. Right? Or were the Coca-Cola bears on steroids too, except from the uber-sugar and caffeine (I do drink caffeinated coffee, FYI) from the soda which they advertise? Tigerlilly, your post is honestly the funniest post which I have read on this message board!!!
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Oh wow you thought my post was the funniest! Well, what an honor!!! I think you are my new favorite person, dianaprince.
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Thank you so much!!! I'm honored now too!!!
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Maybe we should dress up and give ourselves an award for being so terribly amazing!
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
And I recognize everyone on this thread! :smileyhappy:

Honestly, my research into this movie hasn't gone particularly far. I think I saw a poster for it...so I know Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman are in it...kidman as mrs coultier..(sp?) But I'll go see it, certainly. I'm wondering...recent book-to-film adaptations haven't been that great. I'll enter the theatre with little optimism. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Message Edited by ABI on 10-20-2007 05:04 PM
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Yeah!!! And a parade too!! I'm dressing up as a female Indiana Jones for Halloween, so that's how I would dress up!
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Female Indiana Jones?!? That is so cool! How did you even think of that?

I have a bit of a horrifying confession to make: I used to think Harrison Ford was pretty sexy back in the day. My friends never let me hear the end of it. But, c'mon he was Indiana Jones and Han Solo! You can't get much sexier than that!

I still have no idea of what to be for Halloween. I used to get really into it, but not so much in these past few years. Last year, I threw on some ugly plaid pants that I found in my closet even though I had never seen them before, a polo shirt, and called myself a golfer. Oh, and I also wore one of those white golfer hats. It was pretty fun for being so last minute.
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the compliment!!! I had almost decided to be a Jedi, at least before I saw the Indiana Jones website ( http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html ). Maybe the Jedi thing would work for you, too, or maybe a Sith Lord if you're into dressing up like one of the bad guys. I also have a question for you: Do you think that I should buy a stuffed monkey, rip its head off, paint monkey brains on the head and carry the head around as well as wear the Indy costume???
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Yes, yes absolutely! You must!
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 630 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: