Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Re: THE GOLDEN COMPASS -- The Movie

Thank you so much! My costume will now be complete!
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Gee--I didn't think the polar bears in the GC movie posters looked that much like the Coca-Cola ad. 'warm and fuzzy' kind of polar bears--but, you know--I guess a polar bear is a pretty basic-looking animal (bear, big paws, all white, black nose). Maybe there's just not a lot you can do to make one polar bear look different from another! Ha. The one in Pullman's own drawing in the book looks more like the Coca-Cola guys to me than the CGI ones do. Maybe they'll just seem more different when we see them in action. I doubt these bears will slide down on a snowy hill on their backs with a Coke bottle in their paws--and then, there is the armor. :smileywink:

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-21-2007 12:04 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Maybe the polar bears' armor (in the movie) is made of recycled Coca Cola cans rather than the polar bears' souls... Who knows? It could happen, with all the recycling going on.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

That would be a nice little twist to the movie, now wouldn't it?
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Yes, it would, wouldn't it?
Iorek would probably say: "NO, Lyra! Don't give the aletheiometer to ANYONE! You have to recycle it!!! Then it will be made into Coca-Cola cans so that we bears can rot our teeth and destroy our bones with carbonated-sugar-water soda!!!"
Lyra would whine: "But I love Will! I can't destroy the aletheiometer because he won't like me after I lose my special power! Oops. I lost it anyway because I grew up. (sigh) Nature's awful, isn't it, Iorek? Iorek?? IOREK??!!"
Iorek would sit on a pile of snow then, sipping Coca Cola with another can wedged between layers of fat which he had grown from the soda which was currently rotting his teeth.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Funny, dianap! :smileywink:

~ConnieK

dianaprince wrote:
Maybe the polar bears' armor (in the movie) is made of recycled Coca Cola cans rather than the polar bears' souls... Who knows? It could happen, with all the recycling going on.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Thank you!!! By the way, could you please tell me how to get the smiley emoticon?
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

You can set your emoticons in your profile. If you go to the top of your screen, next to your username, you'll see "My Profile." In there you can click preferences, such as what design to make your emoticons. The smiley is the default one.

Let me know if you need more help, ok?

Enjoy!

~ConnieK

dianaprince wrote:
Thank you!!! By the way, could you please tell me how to get the smiley emoticon?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
You can set your emoticons in your profile. If you go to the top of your screen, next to your username, you'll see "My Profile." In there you can click preferences, such as what design to make your emoticons. The smiley is the default one.

Let me know if you need more help, ok?

Enjoy!

~ConnieK

dianaprince wrote:

Just type in the usual type style colon and parenthesis, semi-colon and parenthesis, etc. and they will be converted. :smileyhappy: :smileywink: :smileysad: Check them out in "Preview Post" to make sure you are getting what you want. Actually, I discovered this accidentally when I legitimately tried to put comments in parenthesis and they kept getting converted to inappropriate smiley faces.
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Thank you!!!
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Oops: I almost forgot to try out my new smiley: :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I hate to bother you again, ConnieK, but I had another question. How do I create a thread? I was considering creating a thread about the book "Larklight" by Philip Reeve on the kid-lit book club (although it's more of a tween book).

Message Edited by dianaprince on 11-04-2007 11:29 AM
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

==== Female Indiana Jones?!? That is so cool! How did you even think of that?======

there is one. her name is Lara Croft...Tomb Raider. :smileyhappy: I also like :smileysurprised:

The scene I saw from the trailer that had Lyra riding Iorek without his armor. It looked good and not to Colar Bearish.(that polar+cola= Colar) :smileytongue: The daemons didn't look too bad but the monkey didn't look too golden.

While there are a lot of things I didn't like about the second and third books, I still plan on seeing the movie. It looks pretty good.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

I completely agree! Lara Croft IS the female Indy J.!!! Where is the third movie going to be made, though??? WHEN IS THE THIRD MOVIE COMING OUT?!?!
Your "Colar Bear" term is brilliant! Are you sure you don't work in the marketing business?
Okay -- and that is the AWESOMEST signature EVER designed!!! Are you sure you aren't a graphic designer, too?
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

No ma'am. I am none of the above. I'm not a Jedi either, just using decades of posting experience to daze, amaze and amuse my fellow posters. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I don't know if there will ever be another Tomb Raider movie with A.J. If they do anymore, they will probably use a different actress.

I've been using my big toothy grin sig since my very first online experience, before the internet was born. Back then all we had was local EBB's.

I post mostly in the Paranormal section..big surprise there, right? right now they are talking about the new anthology, HOLIDAYS ARE HELL, with the authors, Kim Harrison, Vicki Pettersson, Lynsay Sands and Marjorie M. Liu. (guess which one isn't a red head? 3:4 are)

Did you by chance notice the date this movie(THE GOLDEN COMPASS) is being released? December 7, that's also known as Pearl Harbor Day.
V^^^^V
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Pearl Harbor Day! Well, wow! I had no idea. Wait a sec -- am I historically stupid or is that the day Pearl Harbor was blown up???
The very notion that Angelina Goldfish-Lips might not play Lara in her possible next film is deeply disturbing and is at the same time making me uncannily hopeful that they will find a better actress than she for the role. Not that AJ is such a bad actress, she's just kind of... fake. Hopefully, Golfish-Lips won't make Beowulf the Movie into a blood, romance and gore-fest...
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

December 7, 1941 is the day Japan attacked Pearl harbor and the other military bases on the island at that time.

===============Not that AJ is such a bad actress, she's just kind of... fake============

could have something to do with all that silicon in her chest, lips and butt and other enhancements
V^^^^V
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hi, diana--See the "New Message" block at the top left of club area on your screen? Click on that and the space should open up to make up a new subject and type in your post. Let me know if this doesn't help.

~ConnieK

dianaprince wrote:
I hate to bother you again, ConnieK, but I had another question. How do I create a thread? I was considering creating a thread about the book "Larklight" by Philip Reeve on the kid-lit book club (although it's more of a tween book).

Message Edited by dianaprince on 11-04-2007 11:29 AM

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

I totally apologize -- I'm still very confused. I'm having trouble finding the "New Message" button which you mentioned. Is it the "Message Options" button which you meant?
Still, thank you very much for trying to explain it! I am no computer genius and I honestly appreciate your advice very much. Thanks again!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

dianaprince wrote:
I totally apologize -- I'm still very confused. I'm having trouble finding the "New Message" button which you mentioned. Is it the "Message Options" button which you meant?
Still, thank you very much for trying to explain it! I am no computer genius and I honestly appreciate your advice very much. Thanks again!

Go back to the main board (front page)for this club ("Thread Listing" at the bottom or top of the page). Below the "The Amber Spyglass" banner you will see "His Dark Materials, etc", then below that your sign-in name, below that "All Clubs, and then below that "New Message". Click that "New Message" and you will get a message box body you can type in just like on this page only you will have to supply the "Subject" title. Put in your new message, "Submit Post", and it will be a new thread accessible from the main board (front page). You will be just starting a new message instead of replying to one.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 262 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: