Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Re: THE GOLDEN COMPASS -- The Movie

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I completely understand that now!!! You are such a lifesaver, Nadine!!! THANK YOU!!! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
marla16
0 Kudos

I know the movie is comming out soon. I've seen pez containers with the charaters on them at wal-mart. I don't know if it's all of them or just some of them.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

On PEZ dispensers? Ha, ha, that's great! I used to love PEZ. Maybe I'll go buy myself a an Iorek pez dispenser to celebrate
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks so much, Nadine, for helping diana! I should have explained which page to go to first better, as you did.

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

marla16--What characters from GC have you seen on PEZ dispensers? I'm curious and trying to imagine it! Ha.

~ConnieK

marla16 wrote:
I know the movie is comming out soon. I've seen pez containers with the charaters on them at wal-mart. I don't know if it's all of them or just some of them.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

If you would like to see the Pez which is being sold currently, here is a link:
http://www.pez.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=04%5F3080

I hope it works!!!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks, dianaprince! Looks like most of them are daemons? I'm not sure what the 2 on the left are, and is the 3rd one supposed to be Iorek or something/one else? Ha. The golden monkey, I do recognize. :smileywink: Seems kind of like weird merchandising to me.

~ConnieK

dianaprince wrote:
If you would like to see the Pez which is being sold currently, here is a link:
http://www.pez.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=04%5F3080

I hope it works!!!

Message Edited by ConnieK on 11-09-2007 09:45 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

You're welcome, ConnieK!
The only Pez character which I can't recognize is the one in the silver helmet. It's probably just something I cannot remember from the books (which I haven't read for about a year).
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Iorek, maybe?

~ConnieK

dianaprince wrote:
You're welcome, ConnieK!
The only Pez character which I can't recognize is the one in the silver helmet. It's probably just something I cannot remember from the books (which I haven't read for about a year).

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

I was thinking that maybe it was one of the more evil bears, but it certainly could be another version of Iorek (there was at least one Pez of Iorek in the set). I am still wondering, however, why the movie directors/producers/whatever only made dispensers of animal and daemon characters. I don't understand why they didn't make a Pez of Lyra or another human character.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Does it kind of "cutesy up" the daemons to have PEZ dispensers of them, do you think? I don't think of them as "pets," etc. The merchandising for the film will be interesting in that respect. I hope other readers will let us know what all they see out there in the stores. We're getting close on the movie's release. It premieres in England in a few days.

~ConnieK

dianaprince wrote:
I was thinking that maybe it was one of the more evil bears, but it certainly could be another version of Iorek (there was at least one Pez of Iorek in the set). I am still wondering, however, why the movie directors/producers/whatever only made dispensers of animal and daemon characters. I don't understand why they didn't make a Pez of Lyra or another human character.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

The movie premieres in England earlier?!?! Why didn't they do that for the Harry Potter books so that people could read them early?!?! Oh, well...
You're right about the cutesyness. Daemons are not meant to be cutesy, so the dipensers are officially evil, evil, EVIL!!! Unfortunately for me, I cannot resist the collectible Pez because I collect them... Marketing devices are evil.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

dianaprince wrote:
The movie premieres in England earlier?!?! Why didn't they do that for the Harry Potter books so that people could read them early?!?! Oh, well...
You're right about the cutesyness. Daemons are not meant to be cutesy, so the dipensers are officially evil, evil, EVIL!!! Unfortunately for me, I cannot resist the collectible Pez because I collect them... Marketing devices are evil.

They have already released the Harry Potter film as a DVD in England but we have to wait another month here in the States! They will probably do the same with the DVD release of The Golden Compass.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
It looks like the film debuts in theaters on Dec. 5th in the UK and Dec. 7th in the USA. The premiere, however, is in London and is scheduled for November 27th.

Hope this helps!

Message Edited by ConnieK on 11-20-2007 08:55 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
It looks like the film debuts in theaters on Dec. 5th in the UK and Dec. 7th in the USA. The premiere, however, is in London and is scheduled for November 27th.

Hope this helps!

Message Edited by ConnieK on 11-20-2007 08:55 AM

That's good so we will see the first real reviews in a week.
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

I just saw a new trailer for the movie today. It was amazing. Several scenes had daemons in them and they looked really great. If the movie is as good as what I saw today, and I think it will be, it will be the best thing we've seen in a long time.
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Vampyre wrote:
I just saw a new trailer for the movie today. It was amazing. Several scenes had daemons in them and they looked really great. If the movie is as good as what I saw today, and I think it will be, it will be the best thing we've seen in a long time.

Is this where you saw the trailer? http://www.goldencompassmovie.com./

Actually, I don't know if it is the trailer and the way it is edited but the movie looks more exciting than the book. Now that would be a switch! You are right, this actually may turn out to be a great movie. And...I might have to go back and reread the first book :smileyhappy:

I hope they keep this forum open for awhile longer. There may be a renewed interest in the books once the movie is out. And I haven't really started talking about the Amber Spyglass yet or even finished with my comments on the Subtle Knife, especially the end.
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

WHAT?!?! You mean that Barnes and Noble... DELETES BOARDS?!?! :smileysad: EEK!!! I can't deal with losing a board!!! NO!!! Please, please, PLEASE tell me that I'm wrong!!!
Frequent Contributor
Vampyre
0 Kudos

dianaprince wrote:
WHAT?!?! You mean that Barnes and Noble... DELETES BOARDS?!?! :smileysad: EEK!!! I can't deal with losing a board!!! NO!!! Please, please, PLEASE tell me that I'm wrong!!!

Yes, they do, all the time. I used to post in the one for Stephen King..it's gone. Poof no more, finito!
V^^^^V
http://vickipettersson.proboards51.com/index.cgi
http://primatechpaper.yuku.com/
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

That is ABSOLUTELY THE MOST HORRIBLE THING EVER DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry that your board was removed, Vampyre!!! Barnes and Noble HAS TO STOP THIS INSANITY!!! NOW!!!
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 172 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: