Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

THE SUBTLE KNIFE -- Chapters 11-15

Use this thread to discuss chapters 11-15 from THE SUBTLE KNIFE, or in fact anything leading up to these chapters as well from the novel. Please avoid spoilers by not discussing plot points from THE AMBER SPYGLASS, since readers may have not yet read the last book in the 3-part series, HIS DARK MATERIALS. It's ok to assume readers of this thread have read THE GOLDEN COMPASS.

The chapters are:

11: "The Belvedere"

12: "Screen Language"

13: Aesahaettr"

14: "Alamo Gulch"

15: "Bloodmoss"

Enjoy!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE SUBTLE KNIFE -- Chapters 11

Will and Lyra are trapped in a circular tower by the children in ci'gazze. The children want to kill them for what happened to Angelica's brother. He's the one Will fought to get the knife. Along comes Serafina to save the day. She takes them to a cave and tends to Will wound which is infected. She'll do a good job. I've grown to like her character as she seems to be a witch of good standards, not your witch that has warts everywhere.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE SUBTLE KNIFE -- Chapters 12

Here again we meet Dr. Malone... you remember from her meeting with Lyra. She meets Sir Charles Latrom, the person who stole Lyra's alethiometer.He needs some information on the children but gets none from her. Later, she is sitting at her screen and decides to ask it a question. It answers back. It is Dust or Shadow. When she asks what are the dust, it answers that they are angels. The screen tells her to find the boy and girl now. Destroy everything in the lab and go find them. Dr. Malone is given instructions as to the window and its location. She steps through into another world.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE SUBTLE KNIFE -- Chapters 13

Well, who is Aesahaettr? The witches believe it is Lyra. The one witch queen went to visit Lord Asriel and believes that war is iminent and she and the other clans want to join his side against the authority. Ruta has a long talk with Serafina and they decide to join forces in this war. Angels came down at one point and surrounded them for a bit and then disappeared. Will's hand is still swollen as Serafina's spell and herbs did not work. We hope he makes it at this point as he needs bloodmoss.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: THE SUBTLE KNIFE -- Chapters 14-15

These two chapters pulled everything together and I thought this book was more interesting than the first. It had "meat" in it and kept you going on every page. I'm glad Will finally meets his father but on the opposite end Lyra is gone. I guess now, that will be Will's quest to try and find her. Fortunately, the alethiometer was still in her rucksack. I am guessing he will learn how to use it. One thing that puzzled me was that Lee Scoresby kept calling John Parry Dr. Grumman. Why when he knew who he was?
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: THE SUBTLE KNIFE -- Chapters 11-15: THE DEATH OF LEE SCORESBY

THE DEATH OF LEE SCORESBY

So far, throughout the the series the characters have seemed to be a bit cold. But now I have come to the death of Lee Scoresby. I was really touched by this scene. I didn't think I had any particular affection for Lee--he seemed like an ordinary sort of guy and didn't particular gain my interest but I was deeply moved by his death.

I haven't been able to really put my finger on it. Maybe it was the manner in which he died--his heroic last stand and supreme sacrifice. From the beginning, he was a reluctant hero only interested in doing what he got paid for. His goal was not heroic to begin with. He only wanted to make enough money so he could buy a ranch back in Texas and settle down to retirement. He showed more moral fortitude than many of the characters. He sincerely did not want to kill anyone, while our hero Will was quite willing to "hurt them before they could hurt him" and Lyra would have been ready to send her bear in to kill anyone.

But in the end, I think what affected me the most was the death of his daemon Hester. She was the faithful, inscrutable one only revealing her emotional ties to Lee at the end. In most death scenes the daemon had just disappeared but this was a really touching scene.

I was just wondering how the rest of you reacted to this?

I am reaching the end of The Subtle Knife--one more chapter to go--and then I might try to get a bit of a head start on The Amber Spy Glass. It is 38 chapters and I have been trying to do a chapter a night. It is also over 500 pages and has more than 14 hours of audio and I like to do both the reading and listen to the audio.

I have a feeling this next book is going to be full of discussion points as the story reaches its climax and we get deeper in Pullman's philosophy.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I felt this scene, too, Nadine. I liked Lee, and I keep asking myself if it's because he was an American, though I know that's not entirely it. :smileywink: Your instincts about THE AMBER SPYGLASS are spot on. November will be a fun month to discuss that novel and the series as a whole. I listened and read along with AS as well, and it does take time, so I'd encourage you in your plan to launch into the book as soon as you're ready.

~ConnieK

Nadine wrote:
THE DEATH OF LEE SCORESBY

So far, throughout the the series the characters have seemed to be a bit cold. But now I have come to the death of Lee Scoresby. I was really touched by this scene. I didn't think I had any particular affection for Lee--he seemed like an ordinary sort of guy and didn't particular gain my interest but I was deeply moved by his death.

I haven't been able to really put my finger on it. Maybe it was the manner in which he died--his heroic last stand and supreme sacrifice. From the beginning, he was a reluctant hero only interested in doing what he got paid for. His goal was not heroic to begin with. He only wanted to make enough money so he could buy a ranch back in Texas and settle down to retirement. He showed more moral fortitude than many of the characters. He sincerely did not want to kill anyone, while our hero Will was quite willing to "hurt them before they could hurt him" and Lyra would have been ready to send her bear in to kill anyone.

But in the end, I think what affected me the most was the death of his daemon Hester. She was the faithful, inscrutable one only revealing her emotional ties to Lee at the end. In most death scenes the daemon had just disappeared but this was a really touching scene.

I was just wondering how the rest of you reacted to this?

I am reaching the end of The Subtle Knife--one more chapter to go--and then I might try to get a bit of a head start on The Amber Spy Glass. It is 38 chapters and I have been trying to do a chapter a night. It is also over 500 pages and has more than 14 hours of audio and I like to do both the reading and listen to the audio.

I have a feeling this next book is going to be full of discussion points as the story reaches its climax and we get deeper in Pullman's philosophy.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-21-2007 12:09 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Your instincts about THE AMBER SPYGLASS are spot on. November will be a fun month to discuss that novel and the series as a whole. I listened and read along with AS as well, and it does take time, so I'd encourage you in your plan to launch into the book as soon as you're ready.

~ConnieK
-------------------------------

Connie, would it be possible to put up the first segment chapters of Amber Spyglass? I am going to start it tomorrow and I may want to get a couple of posts in before the book officially starts in November, otherwise I will forget whatever it was I wanted to say!
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 289 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: