Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Welcome, iceflower30! Like Nadine says (thanks, Nadine!), we are discussing one book per month over these next 3 months. Jump in any time, particularly this month on THE GOLDEN COMPASS. (By the way, you did just fine with your post!)

~ConnieK



iceflower30 wrote:
Hi,
I have read two of the three books in the HDM series and I am looking forward to reading the third. I am also looking forward to the movie The Golden Compass coming out soon. I am a big fan of fantasy and Sci-fi and I think that HDM combines the best of both worlds! This is my first post on this site so sorry if I've violated some online taboo, I didn't mean to. I hope they didn't ruin the movie and I'm looking forward to discussing the books with you all.


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
New User
moonwalker24
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Hi,

I'm Mary, and I'm currently reading the third book in the trilogy, "The Amber Spyglass." I have the three-book-in-one edition of "His Dark Materials" and people at work keep asking me if I'm reading "War and Peace." I really, really like these books and am glad I found a message board about them, since I've haven't met anyone else who has read them.

Would write more and read more of the board now, but I'm itching to get back to "The Amber Spyglass." I'm nearly at the end, but no spoilers here from me!

Mary MMM
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!


moonwalker24 wrote:
Hi,

I'm Mary, and I'm currently reading the third book in the trilogy, "The Amber Spyglass." I have the three-book-in-one edition of "His Dark Materials" and people at work keep asking me if I'm reading "War and Peace." I really, really like these books and am glad I found a message board about them, since I've haven't met anyone else who has read them.

Would write more and read more of the board now, but I'm itching to get back to "The Amber Spyglass." I'm nearly at the end, but no spoilers here from me!

Mary MMM




After you are finished begin with The Golden Compass again. I read the whole series a long time ago and I'm getting so much more out of them the second time around. I actually don't think the spoilers (or foreknowledge) are really a big problem in this series like they were with Harry Potter. There really aren't any big surprises since Pullman is not trying to spin a mystery here. These are more "idea" books and worth looking at on a deeper level.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Welcome, Mary! I know what you mean about wanting to finish the trilogy before coming to the boards. We are discussing THE GOLDEN COMPASS through September, then focusing on THE SUBTLE KNIFE in October and AMBER SPYGLASS in November. If we write a thread that may have plot points from the latter 2 books in it, we write "Spoiler" in the title. Come back any time and let us know what you like about the books once you've finished!

~ConnieK



moonwalker24 wrote:
Hi,

I'm Mary, and I'm currently reading the third book in the trilogy, "The Amber Spyglass." I have the three-book-in-one edition of "His Dark Materials" and people at work keep asking me if I'm reading "War and Peace." I really, really like these books and am glad I found a message board about them, since I've haven't met anyone else who has read them.

Would write more and read more of the board now, but I'm itching to get back to "The Amber Spyglass." I'm nearly at the end, but no spoilers here from me!

Mary MMM


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

That's a good point, Barbara--there are mysteries to be solved, to be sure, but this series is not as much of a "give-away" as the Potter books can be. Quite different and much to discuss that is not related to the same kinds of questions readers had/have with Potter.

~ConnieK



BarbaraN wrote:

moonwalker24 wrote:
Hi,

I'm Mary, and I'm currently reading the third book in the trilogy, "The Amber Spyglass." I have the three-book-in-one edition of "His Dark Materials" and people at work keep asking me if I'm reading "War and Peace." I really, really like these books and am glad I found a message board about them, since I've haven't met anyone else who has read them.

Would write more and read more of the board now, but I'm itching to get back to "The Amber Spyglass." I'm nearly at the end, but no spoilers here from me!

Mary MMM




After you are finished begin with The Golden Compass again. I read the whole series a long time ago and I'm getting so much more out of them the second time around. I actually don't think the spoilers (or foreknowledge) are really a big problem in this series like they were with Harry Potter. There really aren't any big surprises since Pullman is not trying to spin a mystery here. These are more "idea" books and worth looking at on a deeper level.


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Author
DavidC
Posts: 102
Registered: ‎04-09-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Thanks, Nadine!
Frequent Contributor
Eldarion
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Hello All,

I'm new here, and I apologize for being late (I hope I haven't missed anything). I have just read the trilogy and I really liked it. Like Harry Potter I found it very creative/original, while at the same time blending in some other themes from popular fantasy. I look forward to discussions.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Welcome, Eldarion! Not late at all. Jump right in.

~ConnieK



Eldarion wrote:
Hello All,

I'm new here, and I apologize for being late (I hope I haven't missed anything). I have just read the trilogy and I really liked it. Like Harry Potter I found it very creative/original, while at the same time blending in some other themes from popular fantasy. I look forward to discussions.


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Hi,all. I'm Maxcat online but go by the name Chris. Max is my cat thus the online name. I just finish The Golden Compass and thought it was very good. I have just started The Subtle Knife and am confused. There must be a time change in this book. But I hope to finish Chapter One at least by tomorrow.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!


maxcat wrote:
Hi,all. I'm Maxcat online but go by the name Chris. Max is my cat thus the online name. I just finish The Golden Compass and thought it was very good. I have just started The Subtle Knife and am confused. There must be a time change in this book. But I hope to finish Chapter One at least by tomorrow.




Chris, I was confused at first as well. The second book does "shift" but you will discover why shortly. I am finding it different book in emphasis, center of focus and style as well. In some ways it is more interesting. The Golden Compass struck me as more of an adventure story centering on Lyra. Except for the daemons, talking bears and a few other oddities it didn't seem that different from the world we know. I'm rereading it (I have forgotten just about everything) so I'm following along with everyone else.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Welcome, Maxcat! Keep going in SK, and things will become clearer. It might help to know that Will's world is ours, and that you will see Lyra again! :smileywink:

~ConnieK



maxcat wrote:
Hi,all. I'm Maxcat online but go by the name Chris. Max is my cat thus the online name. I just finish The Golden Compass and thought it was very good. I have just started The Subtle Knife and am confused. There must be a time change in this book. But I hope to finish Chapter One at least by tomorrow.


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
marla16
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Hi, my name is Marla. I've read these once before. I'm going to read them again.
New User
gwen-dolyn
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎09-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Hey its Gwendolyn and I would not only consider myself a dark materials series fan but also a philp pullman fan in all because lyra and her adventures are fantastic and I love the charactors! I love the jewel in the smoke and that whole series to!I have been registered for a long time but its my first time chatting and everything so I am totally going to have fun on this site
bye
Gwendolyn Rafter
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Welcome to gwen and marla! Glad to have you both aboard! Feel free to jump into any discussion thread here and post whenever you'd like!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
gabesmom
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎11-08-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Hi there! This is my first posting ever, although I used to read the HPDH threads until the book came out. I started HDM before The Amber Spyglass came out, and I liked the books so much I read everything PP had ever written. There is also a wonderful book called The Science of His Dark Materials which I recommend. If anyone would like to start a side thread to discuss Lyra's Oxford, let me know. I think I missed something in that book. What I like about HDM is that nothing is off limits. There is no dogma you are bound to, as opposed to CS Lewis (Christianity) (I'm an Orthodox Jew,) or Tolkien (the hero's quest - which carried over into HP as well.) I am looking forward to the movie and I hope it's faithful to the text - that is my pet peeve about movie adaptations. Looking forward to the discussions!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Welcome, gabesmom! I hope you enjoy discussing the series, and other related books, as you wish! Please feel free to start your own thread/s at any time.

~ConnieK



gabesmom wrote:
Hi there! This is my first posting ever, although I used to read the HPDH threads until the book came out. I started HDM before The Amber Spyglass came out, and I liked the books so much I read everything PP had ever written. There is also a wonderful book called The Science of His Dark Materials which I recommend. If anyone would like to start a side thread to discuss Lyra's Oxford, let me know. I think I missed something in that book. What I like about HDM is that nothing is off limits. There is no dogma you are bound to, as opposed to CS Lewis (Christianity) (I'm an Orthodox Jew,) or Tolkien (the hero's quest - which carried over into HP as well.) I am looking forward to the movie and I hope it's faithful to the text - that is my pet peeve about movie adaptations. Looking forward to the discussions!


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Reader
lmoon-55
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎10-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Hi, I'm an instuctor od English and History at the local college. I have seen this series mentioned a number of times in journals over the years and finally bought all three books.

I'm enthusiastic about sharing everyone's thoughts and ideas about the Golden Compass. Even though it is referenced in the childrens section, I think it has alot of layers in it for adult readers. Apparently he based it around Milton's Paradice Lost. that is definitly not a work for children.

Just to start, although I know we are reading by chapter, I must say that the relationship between Lyra and the polar bear (forgot his name, lent the book)is astounding in its complexity.

Thanks for the welcome and I'll go by the reading schedule as posted.

L.Moore
Addicted to reading since five. War and Peace, had to read twice(ouch) around 13.
I sometimes wish Doris Lessing had been my mother.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!


lmoon-55 wrote:
Hi, I'm an instuctor od English and History at the local college. I have seen this series mentioned a number of times in journals over the years and finally bought all three books.

I'm enthusiastic about sharing everyone's thoughts and ideas about the Golden Compass. Even though it is referenced in the childrens section, I think it has alot of layers in it for adult readers. Apparently he based it around Milton's Paradice Lost. that is definitly not a work for children.

Just to start, although I know we are reading by chapter, I must say that the relationship between Lyra and the polar bear (forgot his name, lent the book)is astounding in its complexity.

Thanks for the welcome and I'll go by the reading schedule as posted.

L.Moore




Hi, welcome to the group. Although this series features children, I think it is a far deeper series that probably can only be appreciated by older children and adults. The Golden Compass can be read as a children's adventure story, but as the series progresses, the books get deeper into some very controversial issues. The Paradise Lost connection picks up a bit later on, as I discovered. Your background in History and English will be most beneficial in discussing these issues.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!



gwen-dolyn wrote:
Hey its Gwendolyn and I would not only consider myself a dark materials series fan but also a philp pullman fan in all because lyra and her adventures are fantastic and I love the charactors! I love the jewel in the smoke and that whole series to!I have been registered for a long time but its my first time chatting and everything so I am totally going to have fun on this site
bye




Hi Gwendolyn. I am starting to really warm up to Lyra in the third book, as well. I didn't much like her in the first book where she seemed more like a liar, rude and just plain lucky. In the second she suddenly sunk to second place where she seemed out of character, but by the third book, she is really coming to her own and developing into a very interesting, many faceted character. Now I am really getting attached to her and care. ditto with Will. He seemed a bit stiff and dull in book two, but now in book three he is becoming a very sensitive and caring individual.

And I will reserve my comments on on Mrs. Coulter until later! Who knows where she is coming from at this point. I'm still only part way into the Amber Spyglass.
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
Posts: 519
Registered: ‎11-08-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!


gabesmom wrote:
Hi there! This is my first posting ever, although I used to read the HPDH threads until the book came out. I started HDM before The Amber Spyglass came out, and I liked the books so much I read everything PP had ever written. There is also a wonderful book called The Science of His Dark Materials which I recommend. If anyone would like to start a side thread to discuss Lyra's Oxford, let me know. I think I missed something in that book. What I like about HDM is that nothing is off limits. There is no dogma you are bound to, as opposed to CS Lewis (Christianity) (I'm an Orthodox Jew,) or Tolkien (the hero's quest - which carried over into HP as well.) I am looking forward to the movie and I hope it's faithful to the text - that is my pet peeve about movie adaptations. Looking forward to the discussions!




I have not read Lyra's Oxford but there are probably plenty of people who have. These groups seem to be pretty democratic, so just go to the main page and hit "New message" at the upper left-hand corner and start a thread.

I agree with you about Pullman vs CS Lewis, at least as far as The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe are concerned. The deck seemed stacked in only one direction and that was to retell the story of Jesus's passion in animal world terms. Pullman has an agenda but it has enough depth that it can be interpreted in many different ways and levels. He also takes his time in getting there building his story through three books. This is a complex story with many complex ideas and many issues are explored beyond the central one. There is a platform for discussion.

I also have The Science of His Dark Materials but it is still on my shelf with several other books I want to read in conjunction with this series. The heart of the series is really in the Amber Spyglass where the complex issues are really developed so I think I might be posting through December, especially since the Amber Spyglass is such a long book and I'm a long ways from finishing it.
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 551 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: