Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

lmoon-55 wrote:
Hi, I'm an instuctor od English and History at the local college. I have seen this series mentioned a number of times in journals over the years and finally bought all three books.

I'm enthusiastic about sharing everyone's thoughts and ideas about the Golden Compass. Even though it is referenced in the childrens section, I think it has alot of layers in it for adult readers. Apparently he based it around Milton's Paradice Lost. that is definitly not a work for children.

Just to start, although I know we are reading by chapter, I must say that the relationship between Lyra and the polar bear (forgot his name, lent the book)is astounding in its complexity.

Thanks for the welcome and I'll go by the reading schedule as posted.

L.Moore

Yes, I want to talk more about the Paradise Lost connection as well. We have a whole thread for that. It has been difficult to say much about the relationship because the connection was not quite revealed in the first two books. But now--well, it looks like the rebellion is on.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, lmoon-55! We hope you enjoy the Pullman board. Feel free to discuss as you read or after you complete each book or the series. We try to avoid spoilers on the individual book/chapter threads. Most of the others may contain spoilers about anything in the series.

Enjoy!

~ConnieK

lmoon-55 wrote:
Hi, I'm an instuctor od English and History at the local college. I have seen this series mentioned a number of times in journals over the years and finally bought all three books.

I'm enthusiastic about sharing everyone's thoughts and ideas about the Golden Compass. Even though it is referenced in the childrens section, I think it has alot of layers in it for adult readers. Apparently he based it around Milton's Paradice Lost. that is definitly not a work for children.

Just to start, although I know we are reading by chapter, I must say that the relationship between Lyra and the polar bear (forgot his name, lent the book)is astounding in its complexity.

Thanks for the welcome and I'll go by the reading schedule as posted.

L.Moore

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
booksong
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!
I love books in general, and HDM is one of the best and most thought-provoking series I've ever read. I am looking forward to discussing all its interesting points, from Dust to daemons, love to religion. There are infinite little possibilites to find and talk about It's awesome to find so many people in one place who are interested in the same books I am. I've been lurking around for a while, but now that I'm official, I'll probably be in a lot of the fantasy threads...Harry Potter, the Young Wizards, Maximum Ride, and lots of other ones!
Books may well be the only true magic.
---Alice Hoffman

SO TRUE!!!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome to the HDM Book Club, booksong! Jump right into the discussion at any time!

~ConnieK

booksong wrote:
Hi everyone!
I love books in general, and HDM is one of the best and most thought-provoking series I've ever read. I am looking forward to discussing all its interesting points, from Dust to daemons, love to religion. There are infinite little possibilites to find and talk about It's awesome to find so many people in one place who are interested in the same books I am. I've been lurking around for a while, but now that I'm official, I'll probably be in a lot of the fantasy threads...Harry Potter, the Young Wizards, Maximum Ride, and lots of other ones!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

hello everyone! I usually post in the Paranormal forum, but looked around to see what else was available. I have read and enjoyed all 3 books. One of my best friends is the manager of a twinscreen theater, and very excited to be opening this movie. However, her computer has decided that this is a good time for a temper tantrum. Of course, I volunteered immediately for research duties; not only is it fun but it will be my entrance to the preview on Thursday night! :smileyhappy:
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, lucia! I suspect there will be some discussion of the film here, starting this weekend!

~ConnieK

luciadelabyss wrote:
hello everyone! I usually post in the Paranormal forum, but looked around to see what else was available. I have read and enjoyed all 3 books. One of my best friends is the manager of a twinscreen theater, and very excited to be opening this movie. However, her computer has decided that this is a good time for a temper tantrum. Of course, I volunteered immediately for research duties; not only is it fun but it will be my entrance to the preview on Thursday night! :smileyhappy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Sweetfightgirl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi,

I have read all the major adult/children's fantasy books and this is my first dive into Pullman simply because I love controversy...but what good fantasy does not have people of any background finding something they don't like. I am only half to three-quarters through the first book but am loving it. I think we can find that in any book and I try to keep an open mind and remember these are books - as my signature says, i respect all authors and books. I believe all books are written for a reason and love to learn something new even if it is to learn something I hate! :-)

I read anything and everything. I am in the middle of writing my first memoir and tend to read a lot of those lately but being riddled with a number of rare diseases I have to find other things to do and books that don't take a scientist to dig apart. I often read books like the Dark materials which are supposed to be for children but are as interesting for adults. I also like the classics and books that make us laugh out loud! This is my first group so if anyone knows of any that would be of interest to someone who is writing a memoir please alert me. I am currently ordering some of the books in the club but can't always afford all of them. I do live half a mile from a major B&N so I make good use of it! Once you get to know me perhaps you will read my blog and help me write my book! I am always looking for editors, especially since I fell ill and sometimes do not always check emails as closely as I could. Anyway, I hope to get to know you all better through the group and enjoy other books!

:-)
SFG

Message Edited by Sweetfightgirl on 12-07-2007 06:20 PM
Sweetfightgirl =
I love sweets but more importantly that's the meaning of my name!
Book lover who is also writing her first memoir...
Disabled through horrible diseases at 29 left me finding creative ways to spend my time! Now a unpaid patient advocate = fight
Girl = because I will always be young at heart
As my grandmother, a librarian for 70 years, said "always read and you will learn but most of all respect the book and the author even if you don't like it or agree."
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Sweetfightgirl wrote:
Hi,

I have read all the major adult/children's fantasy books and this is my first dive into Pullman simply because I love controversy...but what good fantasy does not have people of any background finding something they don't like. I am only half to three-quarters through the first book but am loving it. I think we can find that in any book and I try to keep an open mind and remember these are books - as my signature says, i respect all authors and books. I believe all books are written for a reason and love to learn something new even if it is to learn something I hate! :-)

I read anything and everything. I am in the middle of writing my first memoir and tend to read a lot of those lately but being riddled with a number of rare diseases I have to find other things to do and books that don't take a scientist to dig apart. I often read books like the Dark materials which are supposed to be for children but are as interesting for adults. I also like the classics and books that make us laugh out loud! This is my first group so if anyone knows of any that would be of interest to someone who is writing a memoir please alert me. I am currently ordering some of the books in the club but can't always afford all of them. I do live half a mile from a major B&N so I make good use of it! Once you get to know me perhaps you will read my blog and help me write my book! I am always looking for editors, especially since I fell ill and sometimes do not always check emails as closely as I could. Anyway, I hope to get to know you all better through the group and enjoy other books!

SFG

Welcome to our reading group. Sorry to hear about your disability. You might want to check out the Barnes & Noble writing group. They do have discussions on writing memoirs and you can share your efforts with them. It is at the very bottom of the list of "All Disscussions" page Here is a direct link to the group.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=writingfiction&thread.id=2356&jump=tru...

Actually, they probably started His Dark Materials reading group three months too early. After the movie there will probably be loads of people wanting to reread the series or read it for the first time. From the first page of this group, go to page 2 and there you will find all the discussions for The Golden Compass (at least until people start posting to them again--then they will migrate up front). Read and post only in the Chapter designated threads until you have finished the book to avoid spoilers. Hopefully, new browsers to the group will find their way there as well. This is still an active group but many of us are all the way up to book three. I would like to go back to the first book. There is a lot more to discover the second time around.

But first got to:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=pphdm&thread.id=6&jump=true

to find out what your personal daemon is.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Sweetfightgirl!

~ConnieK

Sweetfightgirl wrote:
Hi,

SFG

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
curlycew
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. I just recently finished the first book and fell in love with the series. I am now starting on the second book and still not seeing what the fuss is all about. I only just recently started reading the series, and only because a relative recommended it. I am glad I chose to take her up on the challenge.
Am I coming or going? Help!
Frequent Contributor
cjb07
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I'm a student in Colorado, and I love His Dark Materials. I first read them in Middle School while waiting on the next Harry Potter book. I just finished re-reading all three in anticipation of the film's releae. I'm really excited to discuss them with everyone and hopefully get some new insight on certain messages that the books portray. It's great to have an open discussion like this.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome to new members, cjb07 and curlycew!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
IvoryWeb
0 Kudos

My name is Chrissy. I am in Oklahoma, and this is my very first Pullman book.
New User
booksRalive
0 Kudos

Hi, my title is Ani. I have already finished His Dark Materials series The Golden Compass, The Amber Spyglass, and The Subtle Knife. I love Pullman's rich descriptions about the worlds that Lyra enters. I also love the plot. It's completely crazy to think that one young girl is the key to the fate of a centuries old war, all the while knowing there is a prophecy that that one girl will be tempted into a fall. Just like Adam and Eve, eh? lol. hint hint if you haven't read it all yet, there are many surprises. Just continue the book and you'll love it.
I haven't read someone like Pullman in a while. Well, maybe since Rowling appeared with Harry Potter and his daily, yes, I said DAILY, adventures. Lol. She might be catching the knack for great wizardry and magic books, but it's time I moved on to something new. I SO LOVED these cool new adventures better! Plus, no offense boys, its a girl whos got the fate on her shoulders. Yay! Another adventurous yet marvelous book added to my many favorite authors!
Oops. Too many exclamation points. I'm not that excited, you know. lol...;]
im out.
Don't stop the music ;]
New User
swtpea416
0 Kudos

Hi i have just finished the first book! I have not seen the movie, and was told it sucks. I am waiting for the omnibus to arrive in the mail to finish the series. I am a big Fantasy freak! Harry potter Fan the whole 9 yards! I would love to disscus this book with anyone. aim swtpeaswt. or myspace swtpea416! Or here!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

swtpea416--This club ran from September through November of 2007 (in the run-up to the film release in December), so it is not a featured club on BN.com any longer. However, the boards stay up and available for readers who may still want to interact on them, and sometimes people still do (you never know). I just wanted you to know that, in case you were expecting an active discussion right now with current members. Most current members are involved in other clubs at this point, so you may/may not hear from them.

~ConnieK

swtpea416 wrote:
Hi i have just finished the first book! I have not seen the movie, and was told it sucks. I am waiting for the omnibus to arrive in the mail to finish the series. I am a big Fantasy freak! Harry potter Fan the whole 9 yards! I would love to disscus this book with anyone. aim swtpeaswt. or myspace swtpea416! Or here!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
FionaBR3
0 Kudos

Hey! I'm new to this all. I used to be really into Harry Potter. When my mom first got me the golden compass I didn't really care to read it even though the movie looked cool. Then I was watching the movie channel and they started talking about daemons during a golden compass sneak peak. The whole daemon thing looked interesting so I finally decided to read it about a week after my mom got it for me once I started reading it I was hooked and I nagged and nagged my mom to get the other two books for me. Once I had them I couldn't read them fast enough and even with school and homework I finished them both in one week flat.

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials is the greatest trilogy I've ever read and probably ever will. These were the first books in which I actually think I felt the emotions of the characters.

HDM RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Inspired Contributor
MadamedeChevreuse
0 Kudos

Hey everybody! I'm Regina and I started reading HDM a few years back and I absolutely loved them! I haven't read any of Pullman's other books but I'm looking forward to a discussion of this series. These are some of the best books in the world, and I think everyone should read them!
A book is like a mirror: If an idiot peers into it, you can't expect an apostle to look out.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Fiona and Regina!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
mikeythehamster
0 Kudos

Greetings andsalivations victuals and libations.My name is mike I fineshed P.P.'s H.D.M.last month.Very good read.Full of archtypes and developed charictures I see a bit f a proliferation in theyoung female protagonists lately.Circa inkspell.I reread the Lewis Narnia books and found many of the same archtypes.But I would put that down to the ambient populer media I'm exsposed to.It made alot out of Pullmens agnostocism.As a book and a tale i'ts a good read but as a supposed indictment of religion it has"nt the depth to aspire to that.
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 269 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: