Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

[ Edited ]
I am pleased to be asked to moderate this new discussion of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. I hope you'll join me for engaging, enlightening, informative, and fun conversations about this complex and rich fantasy series.

Please introduce yourselves to the group by replying to this thread. Are you new to the series? Have you been a Pullman fan for a long time? Let us know! Everyone is welcome. The book club is a place for friendly and considerate exchanges of ideas and impressions about the series, no matter what the topic. Please feel free to PM (private message) me with any concerns you may have along the way.

Let's get started!

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-27-2007 09:46 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome & Introduce Yourselves!

Hi everyone. I'm looking forward to this three months discussions of His Dark Materials after some eight months with Harry Potter. I read the HDM series several years ago while I was waiting for the next Harry Potter book to come out. I didn't like it that much at first but now I am rereading it, I am finding a lot of depth to it. In fact the many layers to the book might lead to some very diverse and interesting conversations here. I am about halfway through The Golden Compass.

I also started reading David Colbert's book which will also supply a lot of points for discussion. I'm really looking forward to his input to the group. The first part covers the influence of Milton's Paradise Lost on the series. This was apparently a favorite of Philip Pullman and there are many parallels between his story and this long epic. I was so intrigued that I ordered Philip Pullman's edition of Paridise Lost:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780192806192&itm=5

I must say it is a beautiful book to own, filled with beautiful engravings and printed on heavy paper. I got it mainly because Pullman wrote the introductions to each of the chapters and I thought it might bring some insight to how he developed his ideas behind HDM.

Barbara
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, BarbaraN! Did you have a different user name in the Harry Potter book club, or were you more of a lurker there?

Yes; there is much to discuss with this series. Glad to have you here!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Chris, better known as RiftDoggy online. I read the series a few years ago, when I was in middle school (I'm a senior this year). Back then, I didn't understand many of the references and allusions and such, but I still loved the story, characters, and the beautiful world that Pullman had constructed.
I'm planning on reading the books again sometime soon (I'm hoping they'll be at the school library, just to save money), and as my Lit class will be reading Milton's poem next semester, I guess there isn't much harm in looking at that early, either.
I caught on to the Book Clubs a few months ago, when DH was still a topic of speculation, and enjoyed myself immensely there, so...can't wait for people to start messing around in here! ^_^!
New User
Juliet00c
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I'm Julie. Let's see...well, I read HDM for the first time about three/four years ago, my senior year in collge. I just finished re-reading the series a few weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to discussing it. I absolutly love the series, I think it's genius, and as a philosophy grauduate, it gives me a lot of material to sit and ponder.

This will be my first ever post, too. Yay!
Contributor
moniraq
0 Kudos

Hello All!

I am pleased to be part of a discussion for Pullman's series. My name is Monica and I've never participated in an online book club/discussion so I'm really looking forward to this and hope that my work schedule will allow me to be somewhat active.

I read the books a few years ago and really enjoyed the storyline, symbolism, and imagination that went into the series. I studied kiddie lit in college and remain a fan of children's literature to this day.

I'm looking forward to getting to know people as this goes forward.

Monica
http://360.yahoo.com/moniraq
Contributor
Shadow_Poet2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello all!

I am new to the online book clubs, so forgive me if I commit some unwritten taboo. I was introduced to Pullman through Paolini's (The Inheritance Trilogy) website. I was instantly interested, but never took the time to check out the trilogy.

Once I saw the movie was coming out, my interest was peaked again. I didn't run out and buy the book, however, until I saw it on the B&N bookclub site. I realized it must be a wonderful series.

I purchased the book and didn't put it down until I finished it. I'm running out after work today to pick up the next in the series.

On a personal note, my name is Renée and I recently graduated from grad school and moved from the only home I've ever known in VA to NC. I wish I could consult my own personal alethiometer to see if that was the right decision, but I have yet to learn how to read it.

I look forward to many discussions coming in the months ahead.

Renée

To Thy Own-self Be True

Message Edited by Shadow_Poet2 on 08-31-2007 01:47 PM
Renée

""I now view my long road as a search for truth in my own heart, in the world around me, and in the bigger questions of purpose and of existence. How does one define good and evil." --Drizzt Do'Urden
Reader 4
auboo
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

My name is Aubrey, and I'm also new to the world of book clubs and to the HDM trilogy. I've just started The Golden Compass, but I read quite quickly so i hope to be finished soon. The trilogy has been recommended to me by a few friends so I'm quite excited to dive in. I'm definitely looking forward to all of your insight!

Aubrey
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, RiftDoggy! Philip Pullman introduces an attractive edition of Milton's PARADISE LOST:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=PPHDM&EAN=97801928061...

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the Harry Potter Book Club and am pleased you "crossed the bridge," as it were (that's a HDM reference, btw, new readers!) over to here!

~ConnieK

RiftDoggy wrote:
Hi! I'm Chris, better known as RiftDoggy online. I read the series a few years ago, when I was in middle school (I'm a senior this year). Back then, I didn't understand many of the references and allusions and such, but I still loved the story, characters, and the beautiful world that Pullman had constructed.
I'm planning on reading the books again sometime soon (I'm hoping they'll be at the school library, just to save money), and as my Lit class will be reading Milton's poem next semester, I guess there isn't much harm in looking at that early, either.
I caught on to the Book Clubs a few months ago, when DH was still a topic of speculation, and enjoyed myself immensely there, so...can't wait for people to start messing around in here! ^_^!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome, Julie/Juliet00c! I'm glad we have a philosophy person in the group--I hope we can ask you for help with that aspect of the books! (and your 1st post to the club was successful--yay!).

~ConnieK

Juliet00c wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm Julie. Let's see...well, I read HDM for the first time about three/four years ago, my senior year in collge. I just finished re-reading the series a few weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to discussing it. I absolutly love the series, I think it's genius, and as a philosophy grauduate, it gives me a lot of material to sit and ponder.

This will be my first ever post, too. Yay!

Message Edited by ConnieK on 09-01-2007 08:42 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Monica! I hope you'll feel free to share your impressions of this series as we go along in terms of children's literature--some readers think the themes, and some scenes, are too 'mature' for many younger readers. I'll be interested to read your impressions.

~ConnieK

moniraq wrote:
Hello All!

I am pleased to be part of a discussion for Pullman's series. My name is Monica and I've never participated in an online book club/discussion so I'm really looking forward to this and hope that my work schedule will allow me to be somewhat active.

I read the books a few years ago and really enjoyed the storyline, symbolism, and imagination that went into the series. I studied kiddie lit in college and remain a fan of children's literature to this day.

I'm looking forward to getting to know people as this goes forward.

Monica

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Renee/Shadow_Poet2! I hope the book club helps in some small way in your time adjusting to a new location in NC. Online activities like discussion boards and book clubs, I've seen over the years, help fill in a bit of company for lots of people. I'm glad you enjoyed _Golden Compass_ enough to want to read _Subtle Knife_. Post as often as you like!

~ConnieK

Shadow_Poet2 wrote:
Hello all!

I am new to the online book clubs, so forgive me if I commit some unwritten taboo. I was introduced to Pullman through Paolini's (The Inheritance Trilogy) website. I was instantly interested, but never took the time to check out the trilogy.

Once I saw the movie was coming out, my interest was peaked again. I didn't run out and buy the book, however, until I saw it on the B&N bookclub site. I realized it must be a wonderful series.

I purchased the book and didn't put it down until I finished it. I'm running out after work today to pick up the next in the series.

On a personal note, my name is Renée and I recently graduated from grad school and moved from the only home I've ever known in VA to NC. I wish I could consult my own personal alethiometer to see if that was the right decision, but I have yet to learn how to read it.

I look forward to many discussions coming in the months ahead.

Renée

To Thy Own-self Be True

Message Edited by Shadow_Poet2 on 08-31-2007 01:47 PM

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Aubrey! I hope you enjoy the book club. We will be doing a book in the series each month for 3 months. Post as often as you like!

~ConnieK

auboo wrote:
Hello everyone,

My name is Aubrey, and I'm also new to the world of book clubs and to the HDM trilogy. I've just started The Golden Compass, but I read quite quickly so i hope to be finished soon. The trilogy has been recommended to me by a few friends so I'm quite excited to dive in. I'm definitely looking forward to all of your insight!

Aubrey

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Okay, this is it. With the DH book-club dwindling, and my slowly accepting that it IS over, I am to the point where I MUST read this series. Before I had to force myself, granted I was ten, but, whatever, point being, I failed. But not again! I have unearthed a torn paper back copy of the Golden Compass from a crevice of my room, where it has sat for so long. And this time, completion is in order! Besides, I recognize some of you from HP...

So hi! I'm ABI and I started bn bookclubs a relatively short time before dh aired, and am looking to branch out! A bit of Shakespeare, some Writing Room, ext. whatever, really, I'll be reading and popping in avery so once and a while....

Message Edited by ABI on 09-01-2007 12:06 PM
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Welcome, ABI! Each book and series is different, of course, but sometimes it's interesting to read other books even just for the purpose of comparing them to a series or book one loves, if nothing else. I hope you enjoy reading and discussing THE GOLDEN COMPASS and participating in this and other B&N.com book clubs that you mention!

~ConnieK

ABI wrote:
Okay, this is it. With the DH book-club dwindling, and my slowly accepting that it IS over, I am to the point where I MUST read this series. Before I had to force myself, granted I was ten, but, whatever, point being, I failed. But not again! I have unearthed a torn paper back copy of the Golden Compass from a crevice of my room, where it has sat for so long. And this time, completion is in order! Besides, I recognize some of you from HP...

So hi! I'm ABI and I started bn bookclubs a relatively short time before dh aired, and am looking to branch out! A bit of Shakespeare, some Writing Room, ext. whatever, really, I'll be reading and popping in avery so once and a while....

Message Edited by ABI on 09-01-2007 12:06 PM

Message Edited by ConnieK on 09-03-2007 08:46 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Fredericks
0 Kudos

Hello all.

I'm enthused to begin the reading/discussion of this book. I'm hoping a "group read" atmosphere will get me going, as I purchased The Golden Compass a little more than a year ago and have only managed to get past the first thirty or so pages. I read mainly fantasy and science fiction and I'm not quite sure why this book hasn't grabbed my attention, particularly since it's been recommended to me by a number of friends. Oh well. I look forward to conversing with you all.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

I have been listening to The Golden Compass on the audio CD. Unlike the Harry Potter CDs the dialog is done by several actors with a narrator. It is excellent. I am almost finished with the book and hope to get through it by tomorrow's discussion start date. However, I can see that there are a lot of sections that I will want to reread from the book. You do miss the detail when listening to the CD.

I am not seeing a lot in common with Paradise Lost yet. That might come up more in the later books. Or maybe it is a bit more subtle and I really should read Milton's epic poem. I have an abridged CD on that. There seem to be a lot of interesting ideas TGC I'm just not sure where they are all coming from yet. See you all tomorrow when the discussions officially open.

Oh, and my daemon is a chimp named Erasmos--I guess it is "see no evil, hear no evil, or talk no evil." I could not find an icon to match but he is riding on the elephant. You just can't see him :smileywink:
New User
versemicroverse
0 Kudos

Greetings!

I am an English instructor and have taught GC to several of my Freshman classes in the past two years. I intend to use the text in this coming term, hopefully culminating in a field trip to the new film (so long as it is not "adapted" as extensively as The Dark Is Rising film, OMG).
I wish to participate in the discussion, though I may end up lurking a bit more than I would like. The school term begins tomorrow and I will likely be inundated with issues!

vmv
New User
ihcgirl
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Kris. I am in my late 50s, and have just read The Golden Compass and the Subtle Knife for the first time. I have just started the third book. I read about Pullman in the New Yorker Magazine, which inspired me to start the series, after coming down from the Harry Potter high. I am fascinated that this series, which slices and dices religion with such relish, while populating a story with magic, angels, murder, truth, and morals, is becoming so popular and also that Hollywood has decided that it is safe enough to make movies about.
When will the controversies about religion and oppression begin?
Author
DavidC
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone-

I've been looking forward to this discussion for a long time. Pullman's stories are a treat. Lively, challenging and worthwhile: just like this group, I'm sure.

D
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 561 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: