Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
wburns_kh
0 Kudos

Books on American politics

The US has an election coming up! What are your favorite books on the history of American politics?

One of my favorites is Robert Caro's biography of Lyndon Johnson, particularly volume 3, "Master of the Senate" about Johnson's career as Senate Majority Leader in the 50s.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Books on American politics

While not strictly about politics, I'm always reminded of recurrent issues in Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States." The biggest message I take from it is to try and look at the source of the event, not just the spin.

wburns_kh wrote:
The US has an election coming up! What are your favorite books on the history of American politics?

One of my favorites is Robert Caro's biography of Lyndon Johnson, particularly volume 3, "Master of the Senate" about Johnson's career as Senate Majority Leader in the 50s.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

I'm reading the first of Bob Woodward's trilogy, "Bush at War."
Frequent Contributor
flowergardener
0 Kudos

hasenbein wrote:
I'm reading the first of Bob Woodward's trilogy, "Bush at War."

do u think bush will go down as being the worst president ever?? he always amazes me!! good book to pick but i havent read it maybe i will if i can find a cheap copy somewhere either on the clearance rack or on half.com

~sally~
Contributor
0 Kudos

Caro's books are on my to-do list. So many books, so little time!!

I just finished Doris Kearns Goodwin's book on Lincoln. To save money I used the public library, but the book was so good, I'm going to have to buy one anyway.
Contributor
0 Kudos

flowergardener wrote:

do u think bush will go down as being the worst president ever??

I would love to live long enough to read a history of these times(written in 2050, or so). Arrogant and dangerous would be the adjectives I'd use but I'll leave that to the Goodwins and McCulloughs of the future.
Frequent Contributor
book-nut
0 Kudos

I believe that Bush will be up there, or down there, however you want to look at it! on the list of the worst presidents. Don't even get me started ...
New User
jimy77
0 Kudos

One of my favorite books is Tim Russert: We Heartily Knew Ye by Rich Wolfe.  I found a free chapter at http://timrussertbook.com/ and that sold me on the book.  It was great to read about the behind the scenes and personal side of Tim.  It amazed me at how fast he became a political power figure in Washington.
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 659 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: