Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

CONSPIRACY UNMASKED

Hey guys, I am starting this thread to see if anyone wants to discuss this question I have. I am not a big history buff but this book intrigued me and so I bought it. Now, I am an avid reader BUT heres the thing lol..I am not but through chapter 6 cause not much discussion going on, so please dont post anything that might be a spoiler, tho this is a hard book to do that since we know the who done it lol. Anyway, what I am wondering, I never knew there was a conspiracy AT ALL!! I wasnt taught it in school, just that Lincoln was shot by Booth and a bit about Dr Mudd and thats all. Soooo, the whole idea that there was this underground that had plans to kidnap him even before this, or that there were parts of a group of confederate conspirators in Canada OR that there was a conspiracy to kill the VP and Sec of State is all news to me! Makes for a good murder mistery while learning history. So anyone else out there that didnt know all this??? Or what did you know? What had you learned about a conspiracy and does any of this come as a shock to you as it did me? No, I didnt grow up in the sticks lol, but I truly didnt know all this. I find it fascinating, talk to me peeps!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: CONSPIRACY UNMASKED

Okay, I didn't know there was a conspiracy either; I was taught that Lincoln was assasinated by Booth and that was history back then. This is all new to me too but the book is good; hope you enjoy it!
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:
Okay, I didn't know there was a conspiracy either; I was taught that Lincoln was assasinated by Booth and that was history back then. This is all new to me too but the book is good; hope you enjoy it!

I really am enjoying it. I can really get into this kind of history book. I would love to see this book made into a movie too, the real time of it, tho too many days for a movie lol, and factual words from letters and writings would make a great movie I think and enlighten a lot of people who do not know and arent avid readers. Glad to hear I am not the only one in here that found themself surprised. But then I just read Bury My Heart at wounded knee last year and didnt know all that stuff either and i have lots of Indian relatives, Navajo and Hopi, (tho I am not) who didnt know that stuff either about their own tribes when I told them. We sure get a selective history of our own country in school dont we. Thats pretty sad. So yeah, these types of books are great. And hey, I have seen your other posts and its good to see them :smileyhappy: . Nice to know someone else is taking part.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

I never heard anything about a conspiracy either------way, way back when I was in school. I don't remember being taught about the kidnapping plot or that they had also intended to kill the Vice President and Secretary of State. Yet those are facts presented by James Swanson. However, it does seem logical that there would even be untrue rumors at the time----that Booth wasn't dead, etc. Look at all the speculation around President Kennedy's assassination.
Librarian
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I've always been interested in Civil War history, and long ago read "The Day Lincoln Was Shot", by Jim Bishop, I think it was. Also, I've been to Ford's Theatre and the Peterson House several times. So I've known about the conspiracy since elementary school, many moons ago. If you haven't been to see those sites in Washington, I hope you'll have an opportunity to go. To stand in the box where Lincoln fell, and in the vestibule where Booth stood, is quite an experience.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Librarian wrote:
I never heard anything about a conspiracy either------way, way back when I was in school. I don't remember being taught about the kidnapping plot or that they had also intended to kill the Vice President and Secretary of State. Yet those are facts presented by James Swanson. However, it does seem logical that there would even be untrue rumors at the time----that Booth wasn't dead, etc. Look at all the speculation around President Kennedy's assassination.
Librarian

Librarian,
It seems many of us didnt know any of this and thats a pity. I am not sure if i am reading your one comment tho about ...it would be logical that there would be untrue rumors at the time like around the Kennedy assassination. Do you mean, you feel that the things that Swanson presents as fact about the conspiracies could be rumors? Of do you mean, you believe what he states as facts are but there were also untrue rumors at the time? I am not sure what you mean there. I do believe that what he presents as facts and by how he got them, that they are in fact true. As for Kennedy, nothing in my logical mind will ever convince me that there was ONLY Lee Harvey Oswald, it just doesnt fly at all. But one conspiracy at a time aye? lol
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

katknit wrote:
I've always been interested in Civil War history, and long ago read "The Day Lincoln Was Shot", by Jim Bishop, I think it was. Also, I've been to Ford's Theatre and the Peterson House several times. So I've known about the conspiracy since elementary school, many moons ago. If you haven't been to see those sites in Washington, I hope you'll have an opportunity to go. To stand in the box where Lincoln fell, and in the vestibule where Booth stood, is quite an experience.

I, too, was aware of the conspiracy to kill Lincoln, well before I read this book. Yes, standing in the box where Lincoln was shot is quite an experience, I must agree. And also to see the bedroom in the Petersen house where he died is very moving.
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Librarian wrote:
Librarian

Librarian,
It seems many of us didnt know any of this and thats a pity. I am not sure if i am reading your one comment tho about ...it would be logical that there would be untrue rumors at the time like around the Kennedy assassination. Do you mean, you feel that the things that Swanson presents as fact about the conspiracies could be rumors? Of do you mean, you believe what he states as facts are but there were also untrue rumors at the time? I am not sure what you mean there. I do believe that what he presents as facts and by how he got them, that they are in fact true. As for Kennedy, nothing in my logical mind will ever convince me that there was ONLY Lee Harvey Oswald, it just doesnt fly at all. But one conspiracy at a time aye? lol

Vivico1-------Yes I know everything that James Swanson states is fact. But there were also rumors going around when Lincoln was assassinated. If I'm not mistaken, James brings up that there were rumors. He mentions that some people were saying John Wilkes Booth wasn't dead. I was commenting that events like assassinations tend to create rumors. And yes, I don't think it was Lee Harvey Oswald alone either.
Librarian
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 498 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: