Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jansten75
0 Kudos

Civil War

Anyone interested in creating a Civil War Book Group?
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" Pride and Prejudice
New User
s16sailor
0 Kudos

Re: Civil War

Definitely! I'm always looking for great civil war books... any suggestions?
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Me too. A CW group would be great!
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
New User
ExNALStew
0 Kudos

Would love to be a part of this book club....are you going to start soon?
New User
s16sailor
0 Kudos

Has anyone read "Battle Cry of Freedom" by James McPherson? I finished it recently and thought it was excellent! What other books have you all read that are good?
New User
ExNALStew
0 Kudos

Hi...

I haven't read Battle Cry of Freedom as of yet, but am reading or have read so many others! And am waiting on some more books to be delivered. I've become obsessed with the Civil War and sure wished I had remembered everything I had learned in school!

I just recently returned from Gettysburg, hopefully will get back again before the end of the year.

Have you read any books written by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain yet?
New User
shiloh62
0 Kudos

Looks like I'm a little late in responding. Did this idea ever take off?

Thanks.
New User
ExNALStew
0 Kudos

I personally haven't seen any movement...sure wish that it would!
New User
Normandy
0 Kudos

I would also love a Civil War Book club. As a student at UMASS and an aspiring professor, one of the areas I wanted to base my concentration in is the Civil War.
Best,
Normandy
New User
ExNALStew
0 Kudos

Still waiting to hear that "Yes", let's do it....
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

Let's do it! I grew up with a father who was a avid reader of the Civil War. In fact, I never had those normal family vacations to theme parks and whatnot. We went to visit . . . battlefields. For several years it was Gettysburg. A few years ago, my company moved me about 45 minutes from there and I took a few rides out there. It was different through the eyes of an adult. I looked out and saw a father with his 2 sons. He had a big map laid out and was pointing to various things. The older son was listening and lookin intently while the other younger son just skipped and chased butterflies. That was me and my brother with our Dad. The most interesting piece of that visit was walking up the center of the field. I don't remember doing that before. Just couldn't help but think about the men who walked that same path those days and the fate many faced.

I read "Manhunt" not too long ago, and that has got to be one of the best Civil War books I have read. Great insight to the subject of John WIlkes Booth and the assasinaton of Lincoln.

Brad
With purpose and on purpose
New User
bjf1056
0 Kudos

I live in Alexandria, Virginia and work in the district of colombia. I am interested in creating or joining a book club that would read and discuss history books. If that is too broad, we could make it Civil War. I am open to suggestions.

Hope to hear from you!

Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 558 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: