Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the History & Current Events Book Club!

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to other readers. Let us know what types of books you like the most in this subject, and don't forget to recommend your all-time favorites!

New User
puffin1953
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello...I have just discovered this B/N-sponsored online book club. I'm looking forward to the discussion of the book Resolute in January. Unfortunately, I probably will not have had a chance to read it by the 8th. I received my copy for Christmas and it is currently in my "to be read" pile. I enjoy this genre very much, specifically books relating to shipwrecks (although I have no idea why this topic appeals to me so much). Looking at another post on a different thread, I would have to agree with the poster that Nathaniel Philbrick is unsurpassed as an author in this area. My favorite book was his 2001 "In the Heart of the Sea". It was wonderful. Another book that is a permanent fave is Alfred Lansing's "Endurance-Shackleton's Incredible Voyage to the Antarctic". I received a new printing of it on another occasion which has many wonderful photos. The documentary of that voyage, narrated by Liam Neeson, is also a gem.

Looking forward to getting to "know" you all. Happy New Year!
New User
BillM
0 Kudos

I may be a little behind in the process as well. I am still waiting for my book :smileysad: But I am looking forward to observing the discussion. Hopefully my book will be here in time for me to voraciously consume it by post time.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

BillM
New User
ever-curious
0 Kudos

i most definitely will not be able to read resolute and take part in the on coming discussion. i do plan to take part in the next.
my present reading interest are islamic renaissance & middle eastern philosophy andhistory. i am trying to gain wider point of view of humanity and the world that surrounds me. for years & years as a boy becoming a man all i knew was to be against. now, i want knowledge of different sorts. not for monetary gain but to understand myself and others. any reading suggestions toward this progress will be considered and investigated. thanks.
Frequent Contributor
Bastet
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

I hope it is not too late to join this book club. I have just recently joined the online book clubs and only yesterday discovered this group. I immediately became intrigued by "Resolute" as I read through some of the posts so I rushed out tonight and bought it. I am now 3 chapters in and loving every page thus far. I look forward to chatting more about what is turning out to be an amazing work of history with everyone.

Thanks!
Rachel
Frequent Contributor
wburns_kh
0 Kudos

Your current reading sounds fascinating! Any books you would recommend?
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I'm currently reading San Francisco is Burning by Dennis Smith. Very interesting so far. It's about the 1906 earthquake and the fires that occurred afterward.

I'm hoping there will be a discussion on Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson in the near future. Having visited Ford's Theater, and also having seen the room where the president died, I'm very interested in this subject.

I also like books on the American Revolution and World War II. My father participated in the Normandy invasion and was a prison of war for about 6 months.

Looking forward to future discussions!
Jenna
Frequent Contributor
wburns_kh
0 Kudos

Good news!

Manhunt is one of the books being planned for a future book club!
Author
MartySandler
0 Kudos

Hi:

My favorite book about exploration including that of the Arctic is Pierre Berton's ARCTIC GRAIL. Also, Daniel Boorstin's THE DISCOVERERS is marvelously done. Both are available in paperback. Of course, neither is as brilliantly written as RESOLUTE. (just kidding). Welcome to the club.
Author
MartySandler
0 Kudos

Re: Good news!

Hi:

I too am an avid reader of boos on the American Revolution. In fact, I'm currently writing a book on the making of the Atlantic world in which the American Revolution, particulary its impact on other nations, plays a huge role. Thanks for checking in.
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

Re: Good news!

MartySandler wrote:
Hi:

I too am an avid reader of boos on the American Revolution. In fact, I'm currently writing a book on the making of the Atlantic world in which the American Revolution, particulary its impact on other nations, plays a huge role. Thanks for checking in.

Thanks for your comment! Your next book sounds interesting and I look forward to it!
Frequent Contributor
mildone
0 Kudos

Went to Barnes and Nobles bookstore and bought Resolute. Finished the book the same day. Great reading.
mildone
Author
MartySandler
0 Kudos

I am so impressed. I've been more than gratified by the wonderfull reviews that RESOLUTE has received and by readers' response to the book, but noone till this point has reported reading the book in one sitting. You're amazing--and I look forward to discussing RESOLUTE with you.
New User
jbash
0 Kudos

Hi there - Great to find an online book communitiy interested in History. I also belong to a non-virtual bookclub, which is wonderful. However, they tend to be less interested in my non-fiction picks :smileywink: My boyfriend describes me as a non-fiction bigot. He's right. I have a Master's in History and even though that now has nothing to do with my job, I still find myself reading almost exclusively books on history or religion. Glad to join. If you're interested in books on religion I've started a list of what I've read and recommend at www.bumpersticker.wordpress.com/the-book-list/ that you can check out.

Jodi
http://bumpersticker.wordpress.com
Thoughts in Religion that won't fit on a bumper sticker.
New User
skeets
0 Kudos

Hi,
I just signed on and haven't read Resolute, although it sounds as though I would like to in the future. Currently I'm reading Tim Egan's The Worst Hard Time about the Dust Bowl. It is very well written. What's up next for discussion?
New User
John-O
0 Kudos

Hello, fellow bibliophiles. I've just joined the club this morning and haven't read "Resolute" yet. Just in case anyone shares my interest, I thought I'd jot down a few of my favorite authors: Simon Winchester, Jacques Barzun, and Andrew Newberg will do for a start, I hope.

Looking forward to lots of stimulating exchanges!

John-O
John-O
Contributor
SCWillson
0 Kudos

Although I read mostly non-fiction, I also enjoy novels and science fiction.

I'm currently reading The Cousins' Wars; which covers the three civil wars of the Anglo-Americans: The English Civil War, the American War of Independence, the American Civil War; and describes the great similarities between the three in terms of cause and ideology. Religion played a much greater role than is often recognized.

I just finished London: The Biography, which was fascinating. Probably next up will be a history of the Oxford English Dictionary. (I've always got a dozen or so books lined up to read.)
Frequent Contributor
wburns_kh
0 Kudos

Welcome! Non-fiction bigot is an interesting term. Any other non-fiction bigots here?
Frequent Contributor
wburns_kh
0 Kudos

Welcome! The next book up is Queen Isabella, by Alison Weir. But anyone is free to contribute on any history or current events book they've read or are curious about.
Frequent Contributor
wburns_kh
0 Kudos

Welcome! I look forward to hearing from you.
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 179 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: