Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

Jamestown

Anyone interested in reading and discussing Savage Kingdom by Benjamin Wooley? I just bought a copy because the 400th anniversary of the Jamestown settlement is coming up in May.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: Jamestown

I'd be interested.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

katknit wrote:
I'd be interested.

Well, good, when I start reading the book in a couple of weeks, I'll post comments here and we can discuss it. It looks like an interesting subject to me. I barely remember the story of Pocahontas and John Smith from my school days! I'm sure I'll learn a lot by reading the book.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

OK. Gotta get the book!
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

katknit wrote:
OK. Gotta get the book!

Got it and will start reading shortly...
New User
shauna_o
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would be interesrted, too. I'll buy the book this week.
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

Hi, katknit! Welcome, Shauna! I haven't started reading it yet, but probably will start by the end of this week.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Hi Donti,
OK, so will I. It looks pretty good!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

The book sounds good! Are any of you from Virginia? The Queen of England and her husband Phillip visited the area and are still here in Va. I believe. Of course its all about the 400th anniversary of Jamestown.
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
The book sounds good! Are any of you from Virginia? The Queen of England and her husband Phillip visited the area and are still here in Va. I believe. Of course its all about the 400th anniversary of Jamestown.

I'm from Pennsylvania and yes, I saw it on the news about the Queen's visit to Jamestown. The President is scheduled to make an appearance next weekend. That's why I thought it would be an appropriate book to read and discuss at this time.
In the prologue of the book, the author says that the purpose of the book is to consider how "such a morsel of colonial ambition... could, a few centuries later, produce a nation capable of disgorging the most powerful navy ever to sail the high seas?"
It's an interesting thought to ponder. Care to join us in our discussion? There is no time frame, no moderator, we'll just read at our own pace and post comments here. I think it's an interesting subject.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Donti wrote:

kiakar wrote:

I'm from Pennsylvania and yes, I saw it on the news about the Queen's visit to Jamestown. The President is scheduled to make an appearance next weekend. That's why I thought it would be an appropriate book to read and discuss at this time.
In the prologue of the book, the author says that the purpose of the book is to consider how "such a morsel of colonial ambition... could, a few centuries later, produce a nation capable of disgorging the most powerful navy ever to sail the high seas?"
It's an interesting thought to ponder. Care to join us in our discussion? There is no time frame, no moderator, we'll just read at our own pace and post comments here. I think it's an interesting subject.

Yes, I will try to get the book this weekend. Thanks for inviting me in. I love History also. And my history I should know better.
New User
RedCorral
0 Kudos

Visiting Jamestown

Howdy,

Have any of you visited Jamestown Settlement and/or Historic Jamestowne? You gain so much by seeing these places, even if they are reconstructions. To be able to touch the buildings, see how people dressed and lived makes it all much more real. If you are interested in history travel, take a look at my profile. You may find something of interest there.

Meanwhile, I think I'll pick up the book and join in, if you don't mind.
Craig Sheumaker
www.americaslivinghistory.com
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

Re: Visiting Jamestown

I would like to hear your input and maybe you will get the discussion rolling. You seem knowledgeable about the subject. I have not been to Jamestown but did go to Williamsburg a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. I hope to have another opportunity to go again some time.
New User
RedCorral
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry I've been silent, but life has gotten very complicated recently. I'll check back as soon as things lighten up a litte (could be a while)

Craig Sheumaker

Craig Sheumaker
Frequent Contributor
Donti
0 Kudos

That's okay. I've got a lot of things going on right now, too, and haven't yet been able to get to this book.
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 1,087 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: